Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #46
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Driving around the block is more likely to further drain the battery then charge it. Look for a harbor cruise that leaves walking distance from Intrepid.
Make sure u have ez pass.

U could drive and visit Bronx zoo or Coney island on your departure day

Use your valet.key if u think pp point applies to u

Last edited by Lewisc; 04-01-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #47
Prose
DIS Veteran

We are in the NYC area right now visiting family and hav ebeen doing some of the tourist things this time around. A couple of hints...the 911 Memorial is overwhelmingly sad and breathtaking. Everyone should see it. Definitely go online to reserve (free) tickets. You will be given an arrival time....keep in mind that once you arrive, though, it is still a wait to get into the memorial itself. For us, on a Saturday afternoon, it was about 45 minutes, including 2 stations to have our tickets checked and an airport-type security stop and metal detector. Once you are in you can wander and look freely and stay as long as you'd like. I would allocate 90 minutes to 2 hours total.

Also, several of the subway stations in the area of the memorial were under construction this weekend and were closed. Be sure to check ahead to find out whether any stations you are planning to used are closed. We forgot to do so, and it cost us several extra blocks of walking.

If you are in the Lower East Side area, i'd recommend Economy Candy as an alternative to Dylans. Economy is floor-to-ceiling full of candies from several countries. Every time we go we have to ship home a box full of yummy stuff! Other places in that general area we like are Doughnut Plant and Pommes Frites. (Somehow our latest visit ended up being all about food...hmmm....)
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #48
marlynnp
No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuevers.

If you're not using the car, find an alliance garage near your hotel and use the "vehicle storage" option. You need to reserve & pay before you go. Then just cab to and from the garage with your belongings. I pay $15-$20 a day this way.

http://www.allianceparkingservices.c...rd-street.html

And if you adjust your plans, consider a tour at the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, they are really interesting.

http://www.tenement.org/contact.html

And stop at Economy Candy while you're down there.

http://www.economycandy.com/

There's is also a fab hole in the wall Creperie about a block away.

http://www.creperienyc.com/

'tis better to remain silent and appear a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt.
marlynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #49
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's kelly

Coney Island will be up and running. The Cyclone opened last week!
OMG, that brings back memories! Going on the subway to Coney Island and watching the graffiti morph into all Russian. We got to ride the cyclone like 8 times in a row in September of '01 (go figure). And when I say in a row, I mean we were the only people on the coaster and we didn't even have to get up. The guy charged us full price the first time and then $1 each for the next couple then sent us around for free.

And yes. I can tell you that walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is MUCH longer than you think it should be.

Stacy
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #50
Soupermom
DIS Veteran

travel times

Can someone tell me, in general, using the subway, how long it would take to get from my hotel (the TRYP, 345 W. 35th Street) to the 9/11 memorial?

How about from the hotel to Little Italy/Chinatown?

To Times Square (walking)?

To Central Park (south side, walking)?

To Rockefeller Center (walking)?

To the Intrepid (walking)?

I have a map and know what is where, but I'd like to know a rough estimate on how long to plan for traveling.

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #51
NYCDiane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupermom View Post
Can someone tell me, in general, using the subway, how long it would take to get from my hotel (the TRYP, 345 W. 35th Street) to the 9/11 memorial?

Walk over to Penn Station (34th/8th) and take the downtown "A" train to WTC. Should take about 20 minutes or so

It's about 3 miles or so. I wouldn't walk it. Find out where you want to go in Chinatown and then use HopStop to get bus directions (subway is faster but you see more on the bus) Bus ride shouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so depending on the time of day.

TS starts around 40th St/8th Ave/Bway, so it's not a long walk at all

59th St/5th Ave, not far but not really close either.

49/50th St, 5-6th Ave, not far from where you are.

46th St, 12th Ave. Not far, not close

I have a map and know what is where, but I'd like to know a rough estimate on how long to plan for traveling.

Thanks!!!!

Your hotel is between 8th and 9th Avenues. The walking to most of these places isn't far but isn't close, either. The walking time depends on your walking speed. Wear sneakers or something very comfortable on your feet if you plan on walking TO all these place and then walking AROUND at all these places!!!! (After Rock Center, you should go to the NY Public Library and Bryant Park)
NYCDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #52
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!!!!
Use either the HOPSTOP app or website to find travel times using the subway. You will probably want to take the subway to Central Park. The edge of the park is about 25 blocks from your hotel. Doable but long. It will take nearly half an hour I'd guess to walk to the Intrepid. About the same to Rock Center.
Aristocath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #53
Soupermom
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! Can you get a pass that covers the subway AND the buses?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #54
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A regular Metrocard is used on buses and subways. The exception is express buses that cost more, an unlimited ride card (like the monthly cards) can't be used on those because the fare is higher, but you probably won't have to use any of those. They're mostly commuter routes.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #55
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!!!!
NYC the number of N S blocks to the mile is 20. East West Blocks is about 4 to the mile.

35th Street to 50th St (Rockefeller Center) is about 3/4 mile. 7th to 6th another 1/4. Total is about a mile.

You're going to be doing a lot of walking in Central Park.

I'm going to go back to your OP and give it some thought. You need to switch some days. Some thoughts.

Part of the Intrepid museum (I think part with Space Shuttle) is still closed due to Sandy.

Not sure Brooklyn Bridge would make my cut. If you insist walking about halfway then walking back will give you the experience and photo op.

Museums--Central Park Day consider Museum of Natural History and/or www.metmuseum.org Technically the admission price is only a recommended amount. It's covered by most of the city pass deals.

Check with AAA and groupon regarding NY Pass.

I'd look to do one of the cruises that leaves from a Pier next to the Intrepid if you're still doing the Intrepid. I think Circle Line and NY Waterways works.

EDITED TO ADD *****: Go to this link.http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/hours-and-admission It gives the links to the 3 different combined NYC passes. City Pass, NY Pass and New York Explorer Pass. See if your AAA offers a discount on any of them.

Last edited by Lewisc; 04-03-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #56
NYCDiane
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you plan on taking the subway/bus a lot while you're here, get a weekly MetroCard ($30). You'll save a lot over the pay per ride ($2.50 per ride).
NYCDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #57
shoney
DIS Veteran

This link may help to plan subway/bus travel....

http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/u...ipplanner.aspx
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #58
Soupermom
DIS Veteran

OP Here: Updated itinerary below

Friday, June 14th
Drive from Danville to New York City, New York

Saturday, June 15th
ESB (8am), New York Public Library, Grand Central Station, Harbor Cruise, Natural History Museum? ESB?

Sunday, June 16th
Chinatown (Wo Hop for meal if needed), Scotts Pizza Tour, Little Italy, Economy Candy, (Brooklyn Bagel Company for dinner?) Improv at the Upright Citizens Brigade (7:30pmgo early)

Monday, June 17th
9/11 Museum, St. Pauls Chapel (Stage Door Deli for lunch), Wall Street, Trinity Church, travel to Brooklyn/eat (pizzaria, ice-cream)/walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge

Tuesday, June 18th
Central Park (Zabars Deli for picnic lunch), Museum, FAO Schwarz
Carmines or Tony Di Napolis for dinner/The Lion King (7:00pm)

Wednesday, June 19th
Intrepid Museum (10am), Highline Park, ToTR

Thursday, June 20th
Drive from NYC to Danville, Illinois
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #59
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

I'd move the Intrepid to Saturday, before your Harbor Cruise Maybe even move Highland Park to Saturday.

You don't need to go to the Empire State Building twice and Top of the Rock. PLAN TO BE FLEXIBLE DEPENDING ON WEATHER.

You might be able to do ToTR after Lion King. Move Natural History Museum to your Central Park Day.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #60
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Friday, June 14th
Drive from Danville to New York City, New York

Saturday, June 15th
ESB (8am), New York Public Library, Grand Central Station, Harbor Cruise, Natural History Museum? ESB? I agree with the pp to try and go to the Intrepid on this day if your cruise is in the same location. It's not a convenient location to get to really, so there's no point in going there twice. It makes more logistical sense then going to the Museum of Natural History that day.

Sunday, June 16th
Chinatown (Wo Hop for meal if needed), Scotts Pizza Tour, Little Italy, Economy Candy, (Brooklyn Bagel Company for dinner?) Improv at the Upright Citizens Brigade (7:30pmgo early)

Monday, June 17th
9/11 Museum, St. Pauls Chapel (Stage Door Deli for lunch), Wall Street, Trinity Church, travel to Brooklyn/eat (pizzaria, ice-cream)/walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge Just an fyi, this is not the popular Stage deli which I believe is closed now anyway. Don't expect anything great there. I'd also plan to walk across the bridge during the daytime, so you may want to walk there, and take the ferry or subway back.

Tuesday, June 18th
Central Park (Zabars Deli for picnic lunch), Museum, FAO Schwarz
Carmines or Tony Di Napolis for dinner/The Lion King (7:00pm)

Wednesday, June 19th
Intrepid Museum (10am), Highline Park, ToTR Hopefully you will have gone to the Intrepid already, so you can start off at the Highline in the morning on 30th street heading all the way to the end, then explore that neighborhood, have lunch and then head to ToTR.

Thursday, June 20th
Drive from NYC to Danville, Illinois
You look like you may have some empty time in the evenings, you can always check out Time Out NY for ideas.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: