Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #31
MarvelPrincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24

Lol yeah that isn't correct
I'm going to have to let this guy know. He got really excited that he had "inside info"
Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #32
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
The hogwarts express train is considered an e ticket ride in and of itself with plent of "magic" in the que and the ride. It's really way more than just transportation between areas. Also the whole new area will be bigger, better, and more interactive than the other area. It will have walk through shop/attractions. Authentic shops etc. I don't think it's too much of the same at all. But to each their own
I'm glad they're planning to make the Hogwarts Express interactive. I think they should've done that from the start. I'm not against the idea of more cool shops; I just think they need more Harry Potter rides/experiences. For me, shops are a one-time thing. I don't keep revisiting the same shops on multiple trips. Rides/experiences are worth returning to though. And I thought the original streetscape was intended to be Diagon Alley because they sell the wands and owls, etc. there. Maybe I'm not remembering the movie well enough. Anyhoo, any expansion is good expansion but I'd like to see them focus more on attractions than shops. Of course, from the financial perspective, I can see why they're doing it. And as for the coaster ... I still think 12-person cars are too many for that ride. I also don't like the idea of the screens. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but it's because I am very prone to motion sickness. That's why we haven't returned to US - too many motion attractions for us. I could never do Spiderman. I did the HP ride and had my eyes open for probably less than a minute in total. LOL What I saw of it (the reality part rather than the screens) was very cool and I'm glad I did it once, but I won't do it again. My Dad and hubby both got sick on that ride, and someone puked right before we got on the last time we were there. And the Simpsons ... WHOAAA!!! I saw about 10 seconds of that ride then closed tight for the rest. It was BRUTAL! Oh how I hate the VR trend.
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #33
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins View Post

I'm glad they're planning to make the Hogwarts Express interactive. I think they should've done that from the start. I'm not against the idea of more cool shops; I just think they need more Harry Potter rides/experiences. For me, shops are a one-time thing. I don't keep revisiting the same shops on multiple trips. Rides/experiences are worth returning to though. And I thought the original streetscape was intended to be Diagon Alley because they sell the wands and owls, etc. there. Maybe I'm not remembering the movie well enough. Anyhoo, any expansion is good expansion but I'd like to see them focus more on attractions than shops. Of course, from the financial perspective, I can see why they're doing it. And as for the coaster ... I still think 12-person cars are too many for that ride. I also don't like the idea of the screens. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but it's because I am very prone to motion sickness. That's why we haven't returned to US - too many motion attractions for us. I could never do Spiderman. I did the HP ride and had my eyes open for probably less than a minute in total. LOL What I saw of it (the reality part rather than the screens) was very cool and I'm glad I did it once, but I won't do it again. My Dad and hubby both got sick on that ride, and someone puked right before we got on the last time we were there. And the Simpsons ... WHOAAA!!! I saw about 10 seconds of that ride then closed tight for the rest. It was BRUTAL! Oh how I hate the VR trend.
My thought process is compare it, would you rather have amity or this. And I'd rather have this. But I'm not a person who gets motion sickness.
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #34
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post

To some extent. My understanding is Universal is doing construction 24/7 (maybe not literally). Disney has no reason to push. Universal closed an entire section. It's probably takes more time when you're doing construction near guest areas.
For the rumored Harry Potter Expansion... Yes... They closed the entire section of the park. However.....

In the span of less than 15months Universal filed permits, Tore down a building, built a new much larger building, and will have opened a brand new E Ticket style attraction (admittedly a California Clone) that is in a space not much larger than a city block that is completely surrounded on all 4 sides by guest areas.

This of course started during a busy summer season after they had just opened a new attraction in the park which was helping to drive crowds into the Studios park.

Compare that to Disney... Current timelines have construction on the Mine train surrounded by guest areas taking over 15 months since the New Fantasyland soft open started last year. Before the Soft open began, They'd already been working on site prep (retaining walls and excavation) and vertical construction for a couple months.

Universal has proven that a themepark can quickly build a new land and several new attractions within a short timeframe, if you are willing to put the resources into it.

To give an idea on the number of projects going on at once at Universal over the past couple years.... Take Toontown and completely demolish it and build a whole new land from scratch (without using any clones of existing attractions). As part of this land, You are going to build a new interactive attraction that will double as a transportation system from the back of the MK into EPCOT. While You are working on this project (and not doing anything to actually confirm what it is, let alone pat yourself on the back publically for the work you are doing), You then decide to completely raze the Wonders of Life Pavilion in EPCOT and build a new E-Ticket attraction [you can clone something from another Park). Then while you are putting the finishing touches on your old Wonders of Life pavilion attraction, Go over to MGM and flesh out the area around Star Tours. You can remove the facade of the American Idol theater and backstage warehouse restaurant and start working to retheme the existing areas with new star wars themed shops and restaurants to create a much nicer looking cohesive theme for the area.

Oh! and while doing all this, You can also have opened a new refurb of Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom to give it a new preshow and experience (while keeping many of the structural ride systems in place), and completely redo Illuminations to have a new lagoon show.

Now... instead of doing all that spread out among 4 parks.... do everything in 1 park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
And THIS sentiment...if it catches on en masse...is exactly where Disney would be vulnerable and what would be the catalyst for them to change their ways...

But we're not there yet. The numbers still put universals market share as significant but not a major threat at this point.

I'm sure they are watching more attentively though...
Honestly I'm curious to see what the numbers will look like after Potter Phase 2 and the new Universal "Value" resort opens (which is much more like a Disney Moderate in it's perks and feel.... but at a Disney Value price). Phase 1 made everyone look at the Universal parks anew, but most of the growth was just at the 1 park with little spillover since the other park was still someone dated. With Phase 2 and everything else they've done recently at the studios park over the past couple years, I'm interested to see how the total growth at the resort will be impacted. Right now it's hard for some people to justify the 2 day or 2 park passes.... but with major draws in both parks, I COULD easily see the jump from a 2 day 2 park ticket to 3 or 4 days being much easier to people to justify.

And add in the new onsite resort with it's size and pricepoint, if it's anything like the comparison between the Universal Deluxe's and Disney Deluxes, it's quite possible that Disnye will start to see more defections to the "darkside" than just people going on a day trip to check out "the harry potter park".

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
sorry you re right it will be 12 person cars...but it will be on a track like mummy..it will use screens as well as physical sets......think of it this way.. its a hybrid of mummy and spider man

there are several sites with a description of the ride im not an insider or anything
FWIW... Mummy uses screens too. Just look at the Scarabs scene and the car rotation room. The issue won't necessarily be with the screens, It's how will they be used and how big a part of the overall experience are they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins View Post
12 person cars aren't necessarily that big. Mummy I believe is actually a 16 person car and doesn't seem that big. (4 rows of 4 people).
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #35
bcrook
DIS Veteran

That was a good read DCTooTall. Thanks.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #36
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Isn't Disney going to hide some RID readers near the entrance to the Universal Parks? Disney guests who go to Universal will have their FP+ and hard to get dining ADRs canceled.
Absolutely false.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #37
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH

Absolutely false.

BobK/Orlando
Might have been a joke there, cowboy
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #38
mousefan2322
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Isn't Disney going to hide some RID readers near the entrance to the Universal Parks? Disney guests who go to Universal will have their FP+ and hard to get dining ADRs canceled.
If they did, it would be funny that as soon as you step into USR they send you a message saying you have been awarded a 7:00 pm reservation at Cinderellas Royal Table!!! Come back to Disney World !!!
mousefan2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #39
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring269 View Post
I've never been to Universal. It seems to me that if I'm going to Orlando that I need to go to WDW. But the more I look into Universal the more I'm starting to think that I'm probably doing it wrong. I should be doing a split stay, not between multiple Disney resorts, but between a Disney resort and a Universal one.
If you ever decide to do a split trip, remember WDW first. Universal is so easy when staying onsite- no running around like a crazy chicken to get fast passes. You leave Orlando relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan2322 View Post
If they did, it would be funny that as soon as you step into USR they send you a message saying you have been awarded a 7:00 pm reservation at Cinderellas Royal Table!!! Come back to Disney World !!!
LOL, Disney would love to do this and some people would probably run back to WDW. I'd pass.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #40
MouseketeerMMC
Earning My Ears

This sounds cool, however it seems as if this could become a huge problem. Guests will likely try to sneak into the other park, and how does staff keep track of whos who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcourtneyy View Post
From what I remember hearing, WDW and Universal were both trying to secure the rights to HP. I think JK Rowling was negotiating with Disney but she wanted control over what was done with the rights so she went to Universal.

I remember it being a sticking point that she didn't want any real characters portrayed. You'll see non-descript representations of Hogwarts students etc. but no name characters.
Someone told me that Disney only wanted to a HP ride, while Universal wanted to do a Land.

But I could be wrong.
MouseketeerMMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #41
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Lol! Who really wants the guests? Universal gives more great Potter, Disney spends a billion on wrist bands. Wow!
~The wristbands are -- "in addition to," not in lieu of, there's a difference. As you know -- AK, DTD, and more than likely DHS are all getting major overhauls. But, I agree with you to an extent because no one is raving about the New Fantasyland, even the landscaping trees and princess bathrooms seem to create more buzz!

~Also, maybe I'm just grasping at straws but it sounds like Disney is ripping off the "overhead" railroad concept for DTD from Universals proposed Diagon Alley. I don't know.

"Diagon Alley will feature multiple levels for guests to explore, with train tracks rising above the area, stairways and tall buildings."

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #42
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

Shouldnt this discussion be under the Universal area?
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #43
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N365PA View Post
Shouldnt this discussion be under the Universal area?
Isn't it relative to Disney business and therefore news?
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #44
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseketeerMMC View Post
This sounds cool, however it seems as if this could become a huge problem. Guests will likely try to sneak into the other park, and how does staff keep track of whos who?

Someone told me that Disney only wanted to a HP ride, while Universal wanted to do a Land.

But I could be wrong.
Very easy. They have the same entrance and exits like you would see at a park entrance. You can ride the ride but without a park hopper you will not gain admittance to the park you don't have a ticket for. You will have to upgrade or ride the express back to the original park.
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #45
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
Very easy. They have the same entrance and exits like you would see at a park entrance. You can ride the ride but without a park hopper you will not gain admittance to the park you don't have a ticket for. You will have to upgrade or ride the express back to the original park.
I read the rumor differently. I thought you'll need a hopper pass to board the train. You don't have a hopper pass then you'll visit the ticket office and pay an upcharge before boarding.

In either case it's easy. Your ticket will be scanned at some point, If I'm right before you board the train and if you're right after the leave the train at the other park. In essence the train becomes an exit for one park and an entrance for the other.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: