Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFFYCAT View Post
Very happy to see so mny stores closed yesterday.
Can I ask 'Why'?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #32
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFFYCAT View Post
Very happy to see so mny stores closed yesterday.
Why? For many people retail is a second job, meaning they can work only on the weekend. If a store is closed for the entire day, they don't have the opportunity to work and get paid. Not to mention the many families that have to do their shopping and other errands on a Sunday.

Understand that there are millions of people in the United States for whom Easter is just another Sunday.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #33
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

I don't mind that stores were closed in theory, but it has nothing to do with religion; I think we have too little holiday leave in America, so I'm theoretically happy to have workers get the day as they can. (The problem in reality, of course, is that a lot of workers at these stores are p/t and hourly, and thus won't get paid for the holiday, but my problems with that are almost entirely off topic. Suffice it to say that I absolutely wouldn't mind that stores were closed if workers got it as part of paid holiday leave.)
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #34
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled
I don't mind that stores were closed in theory, but it has nothing to do with religion; I think we have too little holiday leave in America, so I'm theoretically happy to have workers get the day as they can. (The problem in reality, of course, is that a lot of workers at these stores are p/t and hourly, and thus won't get paid for the holiday, but my problems with that are almost entirely off topic. Suffice it to say that I absolutely wouldn't mind that stores were closed if workers got it as part of paid holiday leave.)
I agree!! I think there's something to be said for all having time off together regardless of their religious beliefs or not. Kind of like a country regroup. Of course I realize that there are health care and emergency personnel that would be required. But a majority of the country could stop for one day.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #35
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
So who decides which holidays businesses should be closed on? Should they be closed on Good Friday? What about Rosh Hashanah? Yom Kippur? Ramadan?

Of course it's up to each business to decide whether to be open. Then it's up to consumers to decide whether to patronize those businesses.

Keep in mind for some people Easter is "just another Sunday".
Well put. And I would say that of the businesses that did close, it was likely an economical decision, rather than a religious or employee-relations decision, for many. There is a break-even point for a store to be open in terms of how many customers they will have. If they don't believe that they will have enough customers to make being open worth it, then they won't.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #36
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
I agree!! I think there's something to be said for all having time off together regardless of their religious beliefs or not. Kind of like a country regroup. Of course I realize that there are health care and emergency personnel that would be required. But a majority of the country could stop for one day.
A country regroup? That is the strangest thing I've ever heard of.

I picture all of us joining hands and singing on our collective day off. Sorry, I'd rather go to the mall
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #37
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Why? For many people retail is a second job, meaning they can work only on the weekend. If a store is closed for the entire day, they don't have the opportunity to work and get paid. Not to mention the many families that have to do their shopping and other errands on a Sunday.

Understand that there are millions of people in the United States for whom Easter is just another Sunday.
Most stores had it posted if they were going to be closed. People should just rearrange their errands and grocery store trips, I did, really no big deal.

I am sure that missing one day of work didn't kill anyone, in fact if this is a second job they probably needed a little time off with the family.

There are millions for whom Easter is a MAJOR holiday. The store obviously did what they thought was best.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #38
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Target will be open today, which here in California is a state holiday, Cesar Chavez Day. (It is also a holiday in Colorado and Texas, but there it is an optional holiday)
News to me. So, State Offices are closed? Our school district is in session, a neighboring one has today off (having last week off, like we did.)

I was always happy to see Target take the day off, since my younger son and daughter-in-law were managers at Target. I knew they'd be around for our Easter Brunch.

minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #39
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniecarousel View Post
News to me. So, State Offices are closed? Our school district is in session, a neighboring one has today off (having last week off, like we did.)
Yes, California State Offices are closed, and at least the CSU my daughter goes to is closed. They had last week off too.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #40
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Most stores had it posted if they were going to be closed. People should just rearrange their errands and grocery store trips, I did, really no big deal.

I am sure that missing one day of work didn't kill anyone, in fact if this is a second job they probably needed a little time off with the family.

There are millions for whom Easter is a MAJOR holiday. The store obviously did what they thought was best.
Of course the store did what they thought was best. No one is saying "Stores should be open." We're just questioning why people are happy the stores are closed, or wishing more stores were closed.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #41
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisneyGirl02 View Post
As a retail employee, I'm so glad that stores/malls are closed on Easter. I rarely get a holiday off with my husband (the next one will be Thanksgiving) so it's nice to spend the day together. I feel sorry for employees of stores that were open. I know eventually every place will be open, but I'll cherish it while it lasts.
Most stores were closed here, but some restaurants were open (including, where DGD works)

I wish stores, would go back to closing on Sunday. It would be nice, for families to have one day a week together. I grew up with Sunday dinners at Grandma's... Families have too little time together, but sadly, that bell will never be unrung.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #42
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
So who decides which holidays businesses should be closed on? Should they be closed on Good Friday? What about Rosh Hashanah? Yom Kippur? Ramadan?

Of course it's up to each business to decide whether to be open. Then it's up to consumers to decide whether to patronize those businesses.

Keep in mind for some people Easter is "just another Sunday".
Whoever is in charge of the store/company decides. They can do what they want. If people don't like it, they can not go to Target from now on. Target has been closed for years on Easter, and they know how it affects their business or their employees. This is no skin off their back, or they'd change their policy and be open on Easter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
For many people retail is a second job, meaning they can work only on the weekend. If a store is closed for the entire day, they don't have the opportunity to work and get paid. Not to mention the many families that have to do their shopping and other errands on a Sunday.

I'm sure all those Target employees were never told when they were hired that there were a couple of holidays (two whole days I think? - Christmas and Easter). I picture them spending their day off at home yesterday complaining about being off. There was no fun and no joy involved whatsoever, I'm sure. Those poor, unfortunate souls just sat around all day lamenting that Target was closed.
I bet that no one who works at Target was upset when they decided to open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving night. They all wanted to go to work instead of be off with their families. In fact, I bet most employees wished that Target would open at 8 a.m. on Thanksgiving instead of 8 p.m. The employees should sue Target so that they have to be open on Easter, too.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #43
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Of course the store did what they thought was best. No one is saying "Stores should be open." We're just questioning why people are happy the stores are closed, or wishing more stores were closed.
On a religious - not legal - holiday. Anybody who wants a countrywide regroup might want to focus on getting retail businesses to close on the legal holidays. All of them, not just Christmas and (usually) Thanksgiving
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #44
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

I stopped in at Walmart yesterday mid-afternoon to pick up some cold medicine. I felt guilty for doing it. The cashier told me with a sigh that she had been working since early morning, had missed church and family Easter dinner and would be sadly eating cold leftovers alone in her apartment after work.

Those of us who would really prefer that retail be closed on holidays (religious or not) need to put our money where our mouth is.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #45
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

We called Lowes to see if they were open and ran there in the morning. Then went next door to Wegmans. After that we tried to go next door to Target and saw they were closed (no sign up anywhere) and looked across the poarking lot at Kohls and saw they were closed too. So I did run half my errands for the day!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: