Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Orlando Sentintal: Monorail Getting Major Rehab

I guess they are finally going to give the monorail the major rehab it needs. can't imagine what it will be like while it's down for 2 months though!

== Sentinel Article ===============================

Walt Disney World's Monorail System Will Be Temporarily Down for Rehab!
By A. Foell | Sentinel Staff Writer
March 31, 2013
For the first time since the opening of the WDW resort the monorail will be closed for a major rehab.

The rehab, mandated by the department of health last year, is the first of its kind in Florida.
The closing for a period of two months will be necessary to rebuild the monorails power system in order to reduce the energy radiation to 50% of what it is today.

"Whether we can provide enough buses should be very important to everybody in Florida," said a Disney spokesman. Only one track will be available for hotel guests during peak hours. Also visitors will have the opportunity to buy a Monorail pass for an additional $8 million to avoid long lines at the Transportation and Ticket Center.

Lawmakers this spring appear ready to send the health department even more help. The state Senate this week passed the Power Shortage Solution Act, which would put limits on the number of trains Disney can use for their Monorail system.

Still, Disney hopes to start work soon drawing up plans for an expansion of the monorail system.

One thing Disney hopes to do is make it easier for their guest to travel on property, keeping the safety and health of the guests in mind all time.

One of the main goals of the rehab will be the 50% reduce of energy radiation, but reducing the monorails speed is necessary to achieve that.

Some monorail drivers leave the profession, Disney said, because they don't know how to go about driving at half speed, Disney said.

The rehab could take months, but the state Transportation Commission has said it will step in, if necessary, to make sure there's not a break in service for the thousands who rely on it.

On April 1, it is scheduled to roll out the biggest rehab ever: Closing the monorail system and adding hundreds of buses. Today, Disney will hold a forum where it planned on outlining all the changes for guests. Instead it will likely spend time trying to explain what the rehab means.

Adding hundreds of buses could cost Disney $2.2 million a month. That money is was part of the company's general budget.

If that money disappeared, the company would likely turn to local officials to make up the difference or it would consider scaling back service.

Copyright © 2013 Orlando Sentinel
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to the responses you receive.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
Looking forward to the responses you receive.
Right...considering what today is.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

I like the writing of A. Foell.

k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Kimberle
WL Vet

I don't understand these posts. Sure, they're funny on 4/1. But they don't go away on 4/2. People can read them for days/weeks/even years. They don't always scroll down to see its a joke. Rummers begin....
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

That was very well written. :-) The thing that clued me in was that a monorail rehab would likely take closer to a year.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
IbeAbitGOOFY
Dis Dad #736
Half of it would end up on my face and hands

Must admit, this had me going for a few minutes.

RE: Rumors can be avoided in two ways...read the whole post or edit post tomorrow to include it is just a joke.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Visitors can buy a monorail pass for an additional 8 mil right, to avoid long lines at the TTC? THAT was a BIG clue!

Actually, I too, was *taken* for a few secs!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: