Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Danielle3699
Mouseketeer

Discovery Cove check-in question

We are headed to DC on Monday!!! I noticed on-line it said check-in begins at 7:30 and DC opens at 8:30. If we get there early for check-in at 7:30, what are we doing from 7:30-8:30? My family will kill me if I insist we get there at 7:30 to check-in and then they're just standing around for an hour!
Danielle3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

When we went to DC in November we actually got there around 7:45 and we were among the first in the parking lot. We parked right up by the building. But when we checked in and they took our pictures and gave us our ID cards we left there and went straight to eat breakfast. We spent about 30 minutes eating breakfast. A few of the guys went back and got seconds on some stuff. (You can eat as much as you like as often as you like all day long) But once we got through with breakfast the park was open. We went and got into our wet suits then went straight to feed the birds. I read on these boards if you want to spend some time in the bird aviary then go first thing in the morning while they are hungry. If you wait until lunch time or later to go in there then they have been fed all morning and are no longer hungry. Then our Dolphin swim was for 9:30 so we went straight from the aviary to the cabana where our group was set up to check in. The earlier in the morning you check in, the earlier in the morning your Dolphin swim will be. If you don't want to do the Dolphin swim first thing then right when you go to check in ask them right away if they can schedule your swim for later or after lunch or whenever you want it to be.

DC was our best experience, our favorite day out of all our days last trip.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
dolphinrescuegirl
I rather be swimming with dolphins!
Now I know not to drink from a straw

We asked to be scheduled later in the day and they said no.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
dolphinrescuegirl
I rather be swimming with dolphins!
Now I know not to drink from a straw

We were also there in November. We also didn't get to eat until they opened the park. You'll stand around for a hour until they officially open.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinrescuegirl View Post
We were also there in November. We also didn't get to eat until they opened the park. You'll stand around for a hour until they officially open.
Much different experience here, we always get there around an hour early and eat. Have never been told that you can't eat and have to wait. Usually by the time we check in, meet with someone and get wet suits and snorkel items, we go and get a bite to eat and the park is open

Many times they have had some animal interaction during check in, the kids loved it when they had the sloth out there and that was something they have never seen before.

Also, the earlier swims are much better. You don't have to worry about those afternoon storms getting in the way

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
NauroraJbelle
Earning My Ears

We were there in Feb and got there ~7:45. We went right in and registered. By the time the ID's were made and we were done with that process we went right to breakfast. Then to get equipment. We were told that the dolphin swims were booked in order of the guest arrival. So the earlier that you arrive the earlier your swim time is. I like to get places early; )

Jeanne
NauroraJbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
lisagirl88
Mouseketeer

We were there the beginning of March and arrived around 7:45. We were some of the first to arrive. It was pretty chilly the day we went so although we were able to eat breakfast right away we were freezing as it was outdoor. We only had the day pass, not the dolphin swim. It was nice to be one of the first in the aviary because the birds were hungry and we had great interaction with them! I really don't think you will be standing around. Check in, pictures and breakfast would def. take you until 8:30!
lisagirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
mjplantz
Always something to plan...

Our experience was similar to the above, we arrived around 7:40, we were one of the first 5 groups there. We had 6 in our party so it took a little bit to get everyones picture and badges. Once we had that all lined up we went and ate and then got our wetsuits on and headed to our cabana to unload our stuff. We strolled over to the aviary and then on from there. Never were held up waiting for anything to 'open' and we actually kind of felt we were slightly ahead of most of the 'crowd'...

Us DD(18) DD(13)
mjplantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
Danielle3699
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice, everyone! We are headed to DC this morning!!!! So excited!
Danielle3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle3699 View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone! We are headed to DC this morning!!!! So excited!
Soooooooo jealous!

Have a fantastic day! Don't forget to post your favourite pics on the DC photo thread .

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: