Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Terapin
DIS Veteran

We cancelled cable about 3 months ago and will likely never go back.

We have 3 kids who are tv addicted and it was a lifestyle change. However, they still watch tv and have no complaints, which I wasn't expecting.

We have netflix and use unblockus for access to the better US netflix. Very easy - except my Apple tv had to be reset with US settings too, as did my apple account in order to buy things from itunes on the tv. But once that was done it has been easy. We splurge on the occasional purchased rental.

We had satellite tv and have saved about $90/month. I hated that we were spending about $1000/year for stupid tv.

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
Stephanopops, does the roku work with unblock us or does it replace the need for it?
roku works with it -- but you need to configure your router, as the roku does not have the option to modify dns.
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

I tried to use the unblock us site for a week and never had any success accessing the US netflix. I have a smart tv and it is already configured with netflix and it's own netflix button on my remote. Although I changed the IP address on my router, the canadian netflix still came up through my tv.

DOes anyone know how to change this. I also cannot seem to get my wii working with my smart tv. It seems my new smart tv is too smart for me

Can anyone help?? I would really love to drop cable.

brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
OntFamily
DIS Veteran

Hi

When switching from Canadian Netflix to US Netflix ( via Unblock) you have to log off Canadian Netflix, activate Unblock, and then relog into Netflix. This works for me.
OntFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

We also use Netflix with the Unblock-us on our router. My husband is in IT so he set it up with no hassle whatsoever. We didn't have cable prior to that, though. TV is awful now anyway! I can't believe what it costs to watch reruns and terrible new shows. We mostly watch movies (documentaries mostly) and the few good shows you can't get with regular cable anyway (like Mad Men)

Hulu is great for watching shows that are on TV right now, and if you use Unblock-us on your router, that will work for you too.

My husband watches the occasional hockey game, streaming online. It works great!

I could see all this tv-via-internet being a problem if you don't have unlimited internet. But with all the money you'll save on cable TV, an upgrade to your internet is worth it!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntFamily View Post
Hi

When switching from Canadian Netflix to US Netflix ( via Unblock) you have to log off Canadian Netflix, activate Unblock, and then relog into Netflix. This works for me.
Thanks, I think I tried that. But will try it again and see if it works.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
DutchsMommy
I did the Pirate Name thing
'The Angry Cuban' made me snort

Our biggest bummer is a lack of high speed internet in our area, so our costs would be just too high, and we couldnt 'live stream' anyway. So, we get stuck paying Bell Express Vu even though it is a rip off.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

I use the Hola Unblocker add-on for both Firefox and Chrome. It opens up Netflix, Hulu, and a few others without having to mess with IPs, proxies, or router settings.

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaCta View Post
I use the Hola Unblocker add-on for both Firefox and Chrome. It opens up Netflix, Hulu, and a few others without having to mess with IPs, proxies, or router settings.
Can you tell me more about this please? Where do I access it? Does it cost? Sorry for all the questions, I am new to all this.

Thank You.

Stephanie

Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #25
donkthemagicllama
My DW would really like to visit a mall...
I was just playing around

Just to add to the confusion, I'll recommend unotelly.com instead of unblock us. It's more or less the same thing and the same price or cheaper. The benefit for me (and maybe some of you) is that it also works on the disneyjr.com site.
donkthemagicllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
Tanooki
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post
keep in mind that unless you have unlimited internet -- this is NOT going to be cheap --- your internet over charges will be huge.. we use about 25 GB per day with Netflix and Hulu -- rogers and bell generally top out at 125 GB per month.

Check out Teksavvy or Start.ca
But you can now get unlimited Internet with Bell for an additional 10$/month (which I was already paying for additional blocks) when you have 3 services with them

Another vote for unblock us , although with still use our Bell tv service.
Sept/Oct 1999 : Offsite - My first time, me and dh only Aug 2008 : Offsite (rental home) - First family trip! Aug 2009 : Offsite (rental home) Feb/Mar 2010 : Offsite (rental home) Dec 2010 : First time onsite - At Pop! Feb/Mar 2011 : Onsite at RPR (Universal) Aug 2011 : Onsite at Pop! Aug 2012 : Offsite (rental home) March 2013 : Offsite (rental home) - Family Reunion! August 2013 : Bonnet Creek - August 2014 : Back to Pop for free dining!

Tanooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #27
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
But you can now get unlimited Internet with Bell for an additional 10$/month (which I was already paying for additional blocks) when you have 3 services with them

Another vote for unblock us , although with still use our Bell tv service.
ONLY if you have 3 services (tv, phone and internet) otherwise its $30 -- and you can't drop cable if you have 3 services
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #28
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes View Post
Can you tell me more about this please? Where do I access it? Does it cost? Sorry for all the questions, I am new to all this.

Thank You.

Stephanie
It is a completely free extension for which ever browser you prefer. It's a quick installation and you are ready to go.
http://hola.org/

It doesn't work on every US site, but having Netflix and Hulu opened up makes a big difference.

I find everything else here http://www.1channel.ch/ I stream, not download. (favorite provider sites are putlocker, sockshare, videoweed, gorillavid, novamov, and movshare)

Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #29
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post
ONLY if you have 3 services (tv, phone and internet) otherwise its $30 -- and you can't drop cable if you have 3 services
Which completely depends on the area you live in. We only have Bell for Expressvu and cel phones up here.
I get my internet and basic cable from Shaw, cel phones from Telus, and home phone from Vonage.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
rharper1496
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
I have been meaning to try one of those thingies that change your IP, not sure if it would be easy to make it work through the wii. For $8 a month or whatever it is, it's a supplement.
I set up Unblock-Us through the Wii. It was dead easy and took less than 2 minutes, there's a walk through on the website for it if you get stuck.

Our setup right now is a modded Xbox in the playroom that can stream downloaded movies and shows from my husband's computer to the tv, a blu-ray player with wireless in the living room that can stream from his computer or Netflix and the Wii in the master bedroom for Netflix. Unlimited internet from TekSavvy, the VPN and Netflix comes in under $80, well below the minimum $200 I was paying Rogers for cable + internet. I can't see us ever going back to Rogers at this point.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: