Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
jpessa
Addicted to Disney

I booked Southwest but because it's operated by AirTran you get assigned seating when you check in online.
jpessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
mytymom79
Earning My Ears

I have a question. We usually fly Delta out of Detroit but now that I realized Buffalo is only 10 minutes further drive for us I am tempted to try southwest. When I travel , it is just my 14 year old and 6 year old and myself. Would they possibly split us up if we do not take the early check in ?

I am so confused. I budget everything and this early check in is baffling me. With Delta I get to pick when I book and I have never gone with any other airline.

Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytymom79 View Post
I have a question. We usually fly Delta out of Detroit but now that I realized Buffalo is only 10 minutes further drive for us I am tempted to try southwest. When I travel , it is just my 14 year old and 6 year old and myself. Would they possibly split us up if we do not take the early check in ?

I am so confused. I budget everything and this early check in is baffling me. With Delta I get to pick when I book and I have never gone with any other airline.

Three options.

One: look at AirTran or JetBlue since both have assigned seating. Depending upon time, destination the price should be close.

Two: spend the $10 and get the peace that comes with early booking. Did it for our return leg from MCO during March Break since there were a lot of families travelling during that time and we were on the Fantasy (technically Castaway Cay that day) for a cruise and unable to check in early. In grabbing EB we ended up with boarding numbers A59, A60, B1 and B2. We have a 4 y old and would have boarded between A and B anyway but the piece of mind was worth it especially seeing the flight attendants trying to get volunteers to move around so that a family with young children could sit together.

Three: check in at the 24 hour mark. Exactly at that point. The longer you wait the lower the boarding number. For the first leg of the recent trip mentioned above we checked in at that point and had a B13. Again because of the 4 year old we weren't overly concerned but my father-in-law checked in about half an hour latter and had a B39.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
mytymom79
Earning My Ears

Thanks, I think my peace of mind is worth the $30 for all 3 of us to sit together.

Another dumb question.....if I book on southwest but it says operated by airtran do I still get the first 2 checked bags free and is that per person???What about carry-on's ?

I love my Delta and this is going to be huge to jump from Delta and DTW to Southwest out of Buffalo. This is the first time it will just be me and my boys as well. So I am being a little anal. Sorry !!!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytymom79 View Post

Another dumb question.....if I book on southwest but it says operated by airtran do I still get the first 2 checked bags free and is that per person???What about carry-on's ?
Good question
Yes your two bags are free per person and you can each bring a carry on (not sure of carry on dimensions though).
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytymom79
Thanks, I think my peace of mind is worth the $30 for all 3 of us to sit together.

I love my Delta and this is going to be huge to jump from Delta and DTW to Southwest out of Buffalo. This is the first time it will just be me and my boys as well. So I am being a little anal. Sorry !!!
Sometimes change can be good. When it comes to piece of mind the $30 is worth it. We are heading to WDW in August and flying AirTran. Spent the extra $ for seat selection just to be sure we are together. We will also continue to fly SW but now that our youngest DD is about to turn 5 the cost of early checkin will just be a part of flying. Regardless it is still a lot cheaper than flying out of TO.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

EBCI has gone up effective last month it is now $12.50 each way.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

We are looking at Southwest for a possible trip this summer now that they fly out of Portland Maine. I think saving seats would make me angry as it kind of defeats the purpose of how they board.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
Joe Dirt 1972
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

We flew Dec 24 2010 thru Southwest out of Buffalo to Orlando. There we 5 of us. Me my wife and my 3 daughters 6,4,2. We never paid the extra ten to board and we were fine. Being a 737 we sat 3 in one row and 2 across from it. People we really nice to allow us to all sit together. Great flight Southwest is A+++. Only part that sucked is coming home landed in buffalo around 10pm then realized still had 3 hour drive home to Bowmanville

1976 First trip

Christmas 2008 POP Century Resort Kirstyn 4 Hailey 2 Chelsea 5 months

Christmas 2010 POP Century Resort Kirstyn 6 Hailey 4 Chelsea 2

May 2013 Animal Kingdom lodge Kirstyn 8 Hailey 7 Chelsea 4

Christmas 2014 Old Key West Kirstyn 10 Hailey 8 Chelsea 6
Joe Dirt 1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: