Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran

Unhappy Problems upgrading Child to Adult on DDP

I had wanted to upgrade my 8 year old son to adult dining. I have had disney dining previously but found that child choices were limited. He enjoys lots of different tastes including spicier options. He also has a nut allergy and one of the lunch-time options are limited with one of the staples being PB & Jelly sandwiches. Having looked through the forums it seemed all I needed to do was pay the difference between a child and adult theme park ticket. I have been in touch with my travel agent and been told that because we booked when they were doing free disney dining the cost to upgrade now would be to pay for the full adult dining plus the ticket price change. Needless to say I will not be paying that - if it comes to it I will pay for an additional main course or appetiser oop.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

I haven't done it myself (our DD is only 4) but I think most people who do upgrade their child's age do so when booking and not usually on a package holiday.

Remember at all restaurants even CS to mention the allergy when ordering and they will give you more choices/safe choices.

Apr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
mackay_j
DIS Veteran

if there are a few of you then you may find that by sharing out the food and using the childrens options as sort of side dishes then you may not need to buy that much anyway - the times you do will probably work out cheeper just to do that out of pocket. We found that the best way round this for the future is just to book as all adults at the time of booking.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

We don't do the dining plan, this being one of the main reasons. My DS has always been an adventurous eater and would not have been happy with some of the offerings on the kids' plan. However, he can't very often eat a full adult meal so he and I usually end up sharing. I would think if the adults on the plan share with the 8 year old, there would probably be more than enough food to go round.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise79 View Post
I haven't done it myself (our DD is only 4) but I think most people who do upgrade their child's age do so when booking and not usually on a package holiday.

Remember at all restaurants even CS to mention the allergy when ordering and they will give you more choices/safe choices.
I didn't know about the option of upgrading until recently.

Last time most places were really good about the allergy and a chef would come out and speak to us. All except Coral Reef they wouldn't let him have any substitutions and wouldn't allow chocolate as "chocolate is a nut!"
Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

I did this last time but bought the tickets through disney as 3 adults. My dd was 8. Also remember to tell the airline as they sell nutty things and they tend to Announce onboard if someone has a nut allergy. I dont know what to suggest abt the ticket unless they bring out free dining again then u can cancel the one child ticket off and maybe pay the amendment fee for booking an adult ticket BUT it depends on the TA and the offers
Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran

Yes - it's a case of you live you learn. If it helps anyone else on the forum that's a bonus. I can't believe how bland some of the kid's offerings are in Disney. Who knows maybe free dining will come back before we go. All I know is that my son will choose what he likes to eat and the travel agent will not get any extra money for adding on a full adult dining.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
WiganTony
DIS Veteran

Something which may partially resolve the problem for you.

With Counter Service meals, you can order an adult meal as the credits don't differentiate between adult and child. However, I understand that to do this, you would need to order two adult meals on their own, then go back and purchase a single adult meal - I can only assume that the system sees you have 2A and 1C so if you order three in one go, it will flag it up. I have seen this mentioned on numerous occasions on various forums, so it does seem to be acceptable.

You may find that you can share two CS meals between three of you anyway, as the portion sizes are quite large. Certainly last year, myself and my wife quite often split a CS meal, occasionally adding a "side" using a snack credit.

For TS meals, may be worth booking buffet meals, then your son could quite legitimately try the food other than the kids options. Should also work with the "family style" meals where you can ask for more food and your son could eat from your selection.

2014 July/August - RPR and OKW - again!!
2013 July/August - NY, LA and San Diego
2012 August - OKW
2011 August - No Disney NY and Boston
2010 July/August - RPR and OKW
2009 Easter - Springhill Suites LBV & Cruise
2008 August - Marriott Residence Seaworld.
2007 August - CBR/Marriott Clearwater/Springhill Suites LBV
2005 August - Comfort Suites Kissimmee
Longer than I care to remember - 3 lads and their car touring Florida!!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
monica23535
DIS Veteran

I upgraded my son to the adult plan in 2011 and it was more hassle than it was worth.

At the table service restaurants, the servers couldn't get their head around the fact that our son wanted to order a child meal using an adult credit. This meant that it took ages to get a correct bill as the system needed overriding. Also you need to take into consideration that the tips will be higher as it will be put through as an adult meal.

For the counter service restaurants it was pointless as like the previous poster mentioned, you can order an adult meal for your son using a child credit with no problems at all.

In 2012 we went back to using the child plan and probably will until he turns 10.
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Leia View Post
I had wanted to upgrade my 8 year old son to adult dining. I have had disney dining previously but found that child choices were limited. He enjoys lots of different tastes including spicier options. He also has a nut allergy and one of the lunch-time options are limited with one of the staples being PB & Jelly sandwiches. Having looked through the forums it seemed all I needed to do was pay the difference between a child and adult theme park ticket. I have been in touch with my travel agent and been told that because we booked when they were doing free disney dining the cost to upgrade now would be to pay for the full adult dining plus the ticket price change. Needless to say I will not be paying that - if it comes to it I will pay for an additional main course or appetiser oop.
Are you on the full Dining Plan or the Quick Service?

It has been said before here (which is how I discovered it!) so I don't think I'm speaking out of turn, but there is no distinction on your KTTW card on adult or child counter service meals. As far as I'm aware the official rules are that kids have to order from the kids menu but the cards do not distinguish. Our daughter sometimes likes a kids meal but other times there are no options that she will eat, so we order an adult meal. The same doesn't apply to table service but for quick service we have never had a problem.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran

We are on full dining. We also have a daughter who will have adult dining. Last time we ended up getting 3 adult and 1 child meal at Quick service and sharing them between us. My issue is more with some of the blander options with table service. He is keen to go back to Boma and Sanaa.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure why your having issues I know plenty of people who have upgraded their child ( through travel agent) and even when it has been free dining but changed its still honoured! Let them know that all you want to do us change the child to adult on park tickets which will then entitle you to upgrade to free adult DDP!

We have done this ourselves through Disney and through agent both times was months after we booked! I would keep telling them that you know they can do it until they change it.

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
I upgraded my son to the adult plan in 2011 and it was more hassle than it was worth.

At the table service restaurants, the servers couldn't get their head around the fact that our son wanted to order a child meal using an adult credit. This meant that it took ages to get a correct bill as the system needed overriding. Also you need to take into consideration that the tips will be higher as it will be put through as an adult meal.

For the counter service restaurants it was pointless as like the previous poster mentioned, you can order an adult meal for your son using a child credit with no problems at all.

In 2012 we went back to using the child plan and probably will until he turns 10.
That's such a shame we have ha no problems when doing this and we upgraded 3 kids at one point!
The servers sis ask the child's ages and then say that they thought our cards was wrong but we just explained that they wanted to eat adults meals some of the times.
When it comes to tips you only pay tips based on the meal cost so it would not work out more unless your child actually ordered a adult meal, if they ordered a child meal at the TS then the price of the child meal is what you pay the tip on, they just take the adult credit off the card.

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
That's such a shame we have ha no problems when doing this and we upgraded 3 kids at one point!
The servers sis ask the child's ages and then say that they thought our cards was wrong but we just explained that they wanted to eat adults meals some of the times.
When it comes to tips you only pay tips based on the meal cost so it would not work out more unless your child actually ordered a adult meal, if they ordered a child meal at the TS then the price of the child meal is what you pay the tip on, they just take the adult credit off the card.
You must have been very lucky with your servers because it goes against Disney's written policy on the Dining Plans and those servers are risking their jobs.

If the OP has booked flight inclusive, then this is the reason they are struggling to upgrade. The whole booking has to match the ages of the children, which needs to match their passports for the flights. By upgrading, they have to list the child's age as 10+ on your reservation. If for flight purposes the child is 8 for example, there is nothing you can do about it. I know because this happened when DD was 7 or 8.

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
Old 04-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran

If the OP has booked flight inclusive, then this is the reason they are struggling to upgrade. The whole booking has to match the ages of the children, which needs to match their passports for the flights. By upgrading, they have to list the child's age as 10+ on your reservation. If for flight purposes the child is 8 for example, there is nothing you can do about it. I know because this happened when DD was 7 or 8.

I can understand what you are saying and I too thought that would be a reason why they might have said no. The thing is they haven't said I can't change his dining to adult just that I would have to pay them a lot of extra money to do so.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: