Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
jaybo22
Earning My Ears

Will the kids clubs staff take the epipens be bring for kids with allergies and use them if something accidentally happens?

We are good at monitoring what our son eats but we are most concerned when he'll be out of our sight. I know it'll be a hassle in some ways, but it probably best to raise the red flag about his allergies to prevent the worst.
jaybo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
mousemamma
Mouseketeer

We just sailed in February on the Wonder and once again Disney's attention to allergies blows me out of the water!

Our son is allergic to a ton of foods (11). Although I did not have luck getting even the names of products they would have for him (Let alone ingredients) before the trip they assured me that they would have foods that he could eat onboard. And they did! It was amazing.

As a backup, I did pack a ton of snacks (nothing homemade). Just things like his favorite Enjoy Life cookies, GF bars, etc. But to be honest, we never needed them. When we walked into the Oceaneer Lab after we boarded his allergies jumped up on the screen. They said they knew he couldn't eat the chocolate chip cookies in the cooking school but they had some cookies for him to eat - then showed me the box of Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles! (his absolute favorite!

As soon as we boarded and had lunch we met up with Vinay (the executive sou chef). He was with us the entire trip! It was amazing. Anything our son needed, he was there to make it. No matter what restaurant we were in. He was even on the island!

The first day is a little overwhelming (even for a mom of kid's with allergies) because they will bring you a ton of packages to read the labels and double check that they are ok. They will do this during lunch the first day and at dinner.

They will ask every night what your child might like to eat for lunch the next day and where you might eat it. They asked him if he wanted Mickey waffles and where we would eat breakfast in the morning. Every morning we were greeted with mickey waffles and a smiling Vinay!

And then the craziest thing happens. They take over and you can actually relax for a few days and trust that they are in capable hands. Their attention to allergies is why we keep traveling to WDW and crusing on DCL.
mousemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo22 View Post
Will the kids clubs staff take the epipens be bring for kids with allergies and use them if something accidentally happens?

We are good at monitoring what our son eats but we are most concerned when he'll be out of our sight. I know it'll be a hassle in some ways, but it probably best to raise the red flag about his allergies to prevent the worst.
Yes, you will need to fill out the special services form. I do not have my DD10 eat any of the snacks or meals at the children's lab just for that precautionary measure.

I always picked her up for lunch and dinner.
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo22 View Post

In our experience if you have anything listed on their form, they nearly won't feed the child. So apart from being around or accidentally touched by a food product, I'm not sure this should be a worry.

DS had just eaten and wasn't hungry, so we dropped him off as the Lab or Club was having their lunchtime. He then decided he wanted a cheese sandwich. They *called me*, asking if he was, indeed, vegetarian "because he said he is and we want to make sure". Which is the WEIRDEST question ever; kid wants a cheese sandwich, who cares if I say he's a vegetarian? And yes, he is, but what about the "corn syrup based ingredients" I have listed on the allergy/sensitivity form?

They had such pushback when he wanted a cheese sandwich he changed his mind so it was a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousemamma View Post
They said they knew he couldn't eat the chocolate chip cookies in the cooking school but they had some cookies for him to eat - then showed me the box of Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles! (his absolute favorite!
Isn't that interesting?

I asked 3 times about the cookies they would be making. I was told that it's just plain old ingredients...flour, butter, etc. So that of course he would be able to eat them.

Then when it came time, they said they had to ask the kitchen about the ingredients (b/c you eat the cookies that the chefs make, NOT that you make...they magically come out of the oven all done immediately) and they would send them to our room if they were OK. They never showed up.

But they were never able to tell us what exactly was in those cookies.

If someone finds out about the softserve on the Dream that would be great. On the 3 day we were always just too short on time to wait to see IF we could read ingredients, so we just bypassed it. Most of the time they use corn syrup solids so DS hasn't actually had softserve, at least since he was 3 and we figured out that there was a problem. So it was no biggie, but I'd just love to know.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post

Yes, you will need to fill out the special services form. I do not have my DD10 eat any of the snacks or meals at the children's lab just for that precautionary measure.

I always picked her up for lunch and dinner.
We had great luck with preordering separate nondairy meals for DD to be delivered to the club at lunch.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

We are sailing on the MAGIC over Thanksgiving. If I go to Lumiere's on embankment day and give them a list of the foods I like from the menu, they might be able to modify them to be gluten free? I'll just type something up for them along with likes such as mickey waffles, cookies, pizza and such. We like to have a sit down breakfast and lunch along with MDR dinner so I'd rather be as prepared for them so their work will be minimal. I will tell my travel agent to note my reservation so they can get the food on the ship before hand.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I've only been gluten free for about a month and have been only eating at home. I've had a second doc confirm my fibromyalgia diagnosis and agree that I need to stay away from gluten because it has eliminated my symptoms. Thankful for Disney!!!

WDW = 1996 off property ~ 2000 off property ~ 2008 WL ~ 2009 POP ~ 2010 SSR and POP ~ 2011 off property ~ 2012 off property, POR and ASMusic ~ 2013 SSR ~ 2014 off property ~ 2015 SSR

DCL = 2012 DREAM Double Dip ~ 2014 MAGIC Southern Caribbean

disneydork3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
julesthecircusfreak
Earning My Ears

My daughter is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and sesame. On the Baltic cruise we took in 2010, we informed our waiter of this issue, and from the first night on, he gave us the next day's menu to preview, so if we needed anything substituted they would be sure to take care of it. Hope I helped!
julesthecircusfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #23
Mickey3Boys
Aarrgg mi mousies!!!

Just got off ship and Disney did very well on the food allergies! No itching, hives or breathing problems for the 3 of us with food allergies. I would like to recommend that if you are a 1 for an allergy and don't always avoid it, to NOT write it when you send it in! They mean serious business when it comes to food allergies and even if you have it at home, they won't give it to you.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #24
Mickey3Boys
Aarrgg mi mousies!!!

Also, the gluten-free choc chip muffins are amazing!!! The special allergy-free cake is not! Speak up early and they'll bring you great desserts like Creme Broulee or flan!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3Boys View Post
Just got off ship and Disney did very well on the food allergies! No itching, hives or breathing problems for the 3 of us with food allergies. I would like to recommend that if you are a 1 for an allergy and don't always avoid it, to NOT write it when you send it in! They mean serious business when it comes to food allergies and even if you have it at home, they won't give it to you.
The only place they won't give it to you is the MDR's. If you need a special diet, such as gluten-free items, please note it on your reservation ahead of time so that they can have enough of the items on board for those guests who must have them. Please see the following thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3086346
Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #26
Allanaw
Earning My Ears

I have a daughter that has a genetic disease so she can't tolerate fructose (including sugar, sucrose, and any fruit and about 75% of veggies). We actually had some issues with them dealing with this. One night they brought her a special cupcake but had it stuck to the plate with raspberry sauce and we noticed half way thru digestion. So they can be great with it but I'd still be making sure 100% of the time that things are allergy free.
Allanaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
jaybo22
Earning My Ears

Here's my experience from our Fantasy cruise this month. Our son has serious allergies to tree nuts and shell fish. We carry an epipen at all times just in case. He also has a mild dairy allergy that will give him digestive problems, but will not cause shock. We handle it well by checking ingredients and avoiding risky foods. Thankfully, we haven’t had issue with “trace amounts” or “processed in a facility that processes...”. After reading about other people’s stories on the boards, I knew to tell DCL about his allergy in advance. We had a great experience and allergies did not hamper our experience at all.
In the main dining room, our wait staff was aware and worked with us. We usually got dairy free rolls (nice crusty roll) on the table each night and a dish of rice-milk ice cream for dessert each night. We took a look at the next-night’s menu each night and picked something that would work well for our son. Turf, no surf. Pasta, no sauce. Etc. In the buffets, we just picked safe foods and didn’t involve talking to the chefs. In Cabanas, they had a pint of Rice Dream in the ice cream counter and a pint of sorbet so they could serve that up if you ask for it.
In the kids club, they will feed the kids if they are in there at lunch or dinner time. They called us on our Wave Phones to discuss what he could eat. Most of the time, we asked them not to feed him and we just picked him up for our meals. When we had Remy reservations, our Main Dining servers told us that we could ask the Kids Club to get his pre-ordered meal from the dining room.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #28
lisettemac
Earning My Ears

Can someone tell me the proper way to notify Disney in advance about food allergies? I went to the special services form and it doesn't have a place anywhere to note food allergies - it focuses on oxygen, accessibility issues, etc.

Also, are the CM's in the kids' club trained to use the Epi-Pen? And will they allow my daughter to use her Albuterol inhaler as needed?

Thanks.
lisettemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post
Oooh, corn is a biggie, I know from friends with kiddos with corn allergies. That stuff is hidden in everything. My son has a nut allergy, so I cannot speak to most of your concerns.

The allergy kitchens that a previous poster refers to are located only on the newer ships--I'm not sure what ship you are sailing on. The Wonder and Magic do not have dedicated allergy kitchens.

I can say that you need to be abundantly careful at breakfast and lunch when you will NOT have your regular serving team in place. Although we always made the other staff members aware of our son's life-threatening allergy, they were not always as careful about his needs as our regular staff was. In fact, one time were were directly told that the bread on the table at lunch was safe for him to eat (when in fact it was NOT)--and I knew it was not because it was the same bread from the night before that our server and head server did not give us because it was contaminated with nuts. Additionally, the family sharing our table at lunch told us that it wasn't safe--they had an older child with nut allergies who was seated at a different table with a grandparent.
What kind of nuts? And which bread is it?

I have a mild peanut allergy, but it can be handled with Benadryl, so I'm not mentioning it to DCL because I don't want my family to suffer because of me when it's not life-threatening and I can avoid it by simply not eating peanuts. It's not so severe that something sitting in the same case as something with nuts bothers me just to clarify.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: