Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
melifeld
Mouseketeer

What would you do? Resort decision...

We are planning a surprise trip for our DS 6th birthday in July. I currently have a reservation at Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek because I found a really great deal in a king room with bunk bed alcove, even including the resort fees. We have never stayed off site before, and I am now questioning my decision to do so for our son's birthday trip. As much as I try to justify it, I know that Wyndham will not make this trip half as magical for my son as Disney will.

The rate I currently have at Wyndham is cheaper than the current (no discount) Disney value rate. We will be getting APs this year, so parking at parks is not an issue.

What would you do? Would you switch to Disney resort to ensure a magical vacation and pay more, or stick with the Wyndham Grand (not the timeshare)?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melifeld View Post
We are planning a surprise trip for our DS 6th birthday in July. I currently have a reservation at Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek because I found a really great deal in a king room with bunk bed alcove, even including the resort fees. We have never stayed off site before, and I am now questioning my decision to do so for our son's birthday trip. As much as I try to justify it, I know that Wyndham will not make this trip half as magical for my son as Disney will.

The rate I currently have at Wyndham is cheaper than the current (no discount) Disney value rate. We will be getting APs this year, so parking at parks is not an issue.

What would you do? Would you switch to Disney resort to ensure a magical vacation and pay more, or stick with the Wyndham Grand (not the timeshare)?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Unless you were going to switch to a Disney deluxe, I wouldn't change your reservation. Bonnet Creek gets awesome reviews (the pool is as good, or better, than any Disney pool.) The parking fee isn't an issue for you guys. But then again, I'm someone who knows that offsite stays can be just as magical as its onsite counterparts.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
dvcHammer
Drinking at Disney

I've looked at Bonnet Creek myself, but have never pulled the trigger on a reservation there.
As long as you have a car and are willing to drive to the parks, you shouldn't have a problem getting around. Do not rely on their transportation to get anywhere.
Less "Magic"? I would have to think so. But it could be a better value in the long run. I might be tempted to hedge my bet and reserve a room hoping for an AP discount and cancel whichever one I didn't want at the last minute to get a full refund. If it was within a few dollars I'd go on-site.
Bonnet creek is about as close to on-site as off-site can get. You are right next to the Epcot resorts of OKW, POR & POFQ.
The reason I have never booked there is I go for the resort experience as much as the park time. My kids are adults now and we don't need the giant Mickey theme 24/7.
64 visits so far.
Been there, done that, going back again!
http://www.drinkingatdisney.com/
dvcHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
jessicamouse
Mouseketeer

At 6, your DS will find magic everywhere, which is why that age is so awesome! The Wyndham will be beautiful and he 'll love the pool, and if you are anything like us, you won't spend much time at the resort anyways . Take the money you save and spend it on a magical experience, like an extra character meal, or a really great souvenir. You will have a great trip either way. Enjoy!!

jessicamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Hi, just for your info. on April 2 a discount will be released for the summer for the values Pop, All Star Sports, Music. I think it will be 15% off rack rate, so that is something if you wish to change. We always stay on site at values. My kids find them magical even at 12 and 15 years old. Enjoy your son's birthday celebration!
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

options

1. Art of Animation
2. Fort Wilderness Cabins, bunk beds
3. Wilderness Lodge, I believe some of the rooms here also have bunk beds

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
2infinityandbeyond!
Earning My Ears

By questioning your decision I think you have already answered your question. We fuss about the cost every trip. Many people say the same old thing about only using the resort for sleeping. For me and my Wife and 2 kids, the resort is part of our trip. We have stayed at WL every trip and I can't imagine staying off property. There truly is some kind of "magic" at WDW. Either way, enjoy your trip. The kids grow up before you know it. Have no regrets, because in the end we are making memories.

Last edited by 2infinityandbeyond!; 03-31-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling
2infinityandbeyond! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
tekoa
DIS Veteran

My brother is at Bonnet Creek as I type this. I spoke with him 2 nights ago and he said the resort is great.
tekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
melifeld
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the replies. Still not sure what to do. I will be looking at the discounts that come out in a couple of days. Since we are going in July this year, I expect that we will use the pool at the resort a lot more than we have in the past (usually go in January). But I don't see us changing from the Grand to a value.

I'll take any other replies! Love hearing from you all on this.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

If this were my first trip to WDW I would stay onsite. WBC is a beautiful resort. However, the quick service food options are sparse and the buses do not run as often as a Disney resort.

That being said, others are correct in that your son won't know the difference between an onsite and offsite hotel. He'll have a great time regardless!

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)

Disney World Solo Trip May 22-25 (POP)

Anxiously Awaiting:
Disneyland June 17-22 (VGC)

Disney World Sept 18-21 (TBD)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::danielle:: View Post
If this were my first trip to WDW I would stay onsite. WBC is a beautiful resort. However, the quick service food options are sparse and the buses do not run as often as a Disney resort.

That being said, others are correct in that your son won't know the difference between an onsite and offsite hotel. He'll have a great time regardless!
If it were me, I would stay onsite, only if I was going to be staying in a moderate or deluxe. The pool is a huge thing with my family, so when I book a resort, the pool is in the top 3. As you know, value resorts have no water slides, although great pools, moderate/deluxe pools are a lot better!

Where you are staying looks amazing too (I've never stayed there) so what I would do is write down the pro's and con's of each resort, and go from there..I find when I write everything down, it helps me a lot.

Good-luck with your decision, I don't think you can pick a bad one. Disney alone is amazing for a child's 6th bday. Lucky boy

Cheers!
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
TX Momof2
Mouseketeer

For Disney part of the magic is staying onsite for us. We take other vacations and stay in different UnDisney hotels/condos but it isn't the same as being immersed at disney. Also, we love not having to think about driving.

TX Momof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
melifeld
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Momof2 View Post
For Disney part of the magic is staying onsite for us. We take other vacations and stay in different UnDisney hotels/condos but it isn't the same as being immersed at disney.
This is my thought too. We have been several times and always stayed at a Disney resort, which is part of the reason I am having this dilemma. Driving is not an issue for us. We prefer to have a car and drive to parks because we tend to have dinner at resorts. It's just faster to drive from resort to resort, rather than take two buses.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melifeld View Post
This is my thought too. We have been several times and always stayed at a Disney resort, which is part of the reason I am having this dilemma. Driving is not an issue for us. We prefer to have a car and drive to parks because we tend to have dinner at resorts. It's just faster to drive from resort to resort, rather than take two buses.
Why Disney resorts have you stayed at? This might help us understand what type of resort "magic" you're looking for.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
melifeld
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, Coronado Springs and once at All Star Sports.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: