Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
klovesmickey
Earning My Ears

Depression

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting through depression without medication. I did try, but couldn't handle the side effects - I am a single mom, and it was too hard to care for my children when I felt so nauseas, dizzy and tired. Exercise, eating better, sleeping more - I am trying hard, but would welcome any other ideas. Thank you so much!
klovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/heal...epression1.htm

How about something herbal or natural? Personally, light therapy helps me a lot during the winter months.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Are you in therapy? When i was going through depression as a result of both back and female issues, therapy helped as much as meds. Sometimes hearing from a third party that you're not crazy helps tremendously. If it's hard to get away because you have kids, hire a sitter. It's worth it for your health.
Hugs and prayers.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Did you try more than one kind of medicine? Everyone is different, and we respond to medication differently. I went thru some things a few years back, and the first two medications that I tried, were NOT for me. But the third one was amazing. I also recommend counseling, but just like the medication it may take some time to find the personality fit. Whatever you do DON'T give up. You recognize an issue and are reaching out for support, that isn't easy.

Best Wishes!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
sayheyrenee
Mouseketeer

first, I would suggest a chiropractor to control back issues. But depression hurts physically too.
Therapy helps over medication. They offer great breathing exercises for stress, different ways to look at things and suggestions for coping, and lastly an objective outlook.
Look at spending some me time doing a hobby you like. Walking releases stress and look for human interaction with adults.

good luck
sayheyrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer

Hi there I have serious issues with depression so the first thing you need to know is you are not alone. I do take medication but had to try a few before one worked for me. Also cognitive behavioural therapy is very useful. You can also try supplements of the B vitamins and vitamin D. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
klovesmickey
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for all of your responses. I will think about all of your suggestions - I really appreciate them. It is hard dealing with depression as a single parent, and it isn't something I can discuss with my extended family at this point, so it's kind of lonely. I just have an e-counsellor - it sounds silly, but it's better than nothing, and I don't have time to go to a face-to-face counsellor right now - my kids are really little. I'm trying hard to get through this - some days are better than others! Thanks again.
klovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

to you

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: