Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #137
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!
 
mcd2745's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC (Queens)
Posts: 2,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
And that to me is nothing magical or "plus" about the changes. I've yet to see a thing related to MM+ that I see as a benefit, only negatives.

That's the thing right now. Maybe they have some things planned to replace EMH (I'm naturally skeptical about that), and some other perks for on-site guests to roll out. However, they have been very tight-lipped about MM+ ever since their "announcement" back in January. If they gave some indication of what could be coming down the pike that would pique guests' interests, it could ease the sting of something like this.
__________________

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #138
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
That's the thing right now. Maybe they have some things planned to replace EMH (I'm naturally skeptical about that), and some other perks for on-site guests to roll out. However, they have been very tight-lipped about MM+ ever since their "announcement" back in January. If they gave some indication of what could be coming down the pike that would pique guests' interests, it could ease the sting of something like this.
That's because we're in the weaning off period. They have to make us WANT change before they can sell it to us.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #139
twebber55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
And that to me is nothing magical or "plus" about the changes. I've yet to see a thing related to MM+ that I see as a benefit, only negatives.
benefit to us =zero
benefit to the mouse=$
__________________
June 2008 OKW
July 2008 SSR
June 2009 HHI
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #140
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
That's the thing right now. Maybe they have some things planned to replace EMH (I'm naturally skeptical about that), and some other perks for on-site guests to roll out. However, they have been very tight-lipped about MM+ ever since their "announcement" back in January. If they gave some indication of what could be coming down the pike that would pique guests' interests, it could ease the sting of something like this.
~I totally agree! I don't see any reason for the negativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
benefit to us =zero
benefit to the mouse=$
~Ugh.... twebber55, you don't know this, just like Avatarland. You are way too smart to get caught up in those stupid fp+ arguments. Those people know absolutely nothing. Gosh, I love Rumors, I hope this thread doesn't degrade into another dumb rant thread against fp+ -- like we don't have enough of those already!!!
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #141
HHMcG
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 373

We are huge AM EMH users. My kids are early risers. If we would have to sit around and wait another hour in the morning for a park to open I would be sorely disappointed.

Reading these stories of late night EMH with older kids gives me something to look forward to as my LOs grow up. It sounds magical.


I know it is a gut reaction right now but I think eliminating EMH would greatly change my business with Disney.
__________________
DH Me DD(8) DS(7) DS(3)
HHMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #142
rainynight
Mouseketeer
 
rainynight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 385

I've heard that over 25% of Disney worlds business is from international guest and that number keeps growing. International guests are probably pretty likely to stay on site since the major benefit to them is the free transportation to and from the airport and around the parks. Disney didn't become a huge business without knowing what they are doing. For every person upset over the EMHs being cut and giving up on Disney, a few other new people will be booking a trip for the first time. Does anyone really think they would have build thousands of new rooms in a new hotel if there wasn't a major need? Rooms are being filled. The parks are busy year round. Axing EMHs isn't going to hurt business. Just like not offering many discounts this year isn't hurting business. There are billions of people in this world with money to spend, there is no shortage of customers willing to pay higher prices for less.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #143
3happydancers
DIS Veteran
 
3happydancers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,777

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynight View Post
I've heard that over 25% of Disney worlds business is from international guest and that number keeps growing. International guests are probably pretty likely to stay on site since the major benefit to them is the free transportation to and from the airport and around the parks. Disney didn't become a huge business without knowing what they are doing. For every person upset over the EMHs being cut and giving up on Disney, a few other new people will be booking a trip for the first time. Does anyone really think they would have build thousands of new rooms in a new hotel if there wasn't a major need? Rooms are being filled. The parks are busy year round. Axing EMHs isn't going to hurt business. Just like not offering many discounts this year isn't hurting business. There are billions of people in this world with money to spend, there is no shortage of customers willing to pay higher prices for less.
You are most probably right. We are the few who love EMH compared to the huge scheme of things. Disney knows what they are doing. I am still hopeful that they offer something fun and exciting to us "few" to keep the magic alive. But you know, we have a whole world of magic we have not experienced yet so maybe this will be a good push for my family!
__________________
DH DW DD 16



2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #144
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,878

Maybe EMH will become one of the FP+ choices
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #145
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
I'm not sure this is true. I remember looking into this a few years ago, and concluding that the margins on the lodging side of the business were probably higher than they were in the parks---and that includes in-park spending. This article gives a nice summary:

http://www.ehow.com/info_10009736_pr...usinesses.html
Disney's annual stock report gives alot of the financials. The "profit" is in the merch...though that can be manipulated to a certain extent. But break it down and think about it....

I can only tell you from working within the business unit that resorts are not considered profit generators...

even though they are priced at double what they should...as others have already pointed out.

The purpose of disney resorts is to fill the parks with paying customers that generate the profit in their retail outlets...

While they don't necessarily "lose" on the resorts...the money generated that can be deemed profit comes from the food court area and giftshops...just like at the parks.

Disney resorts traditionally carry a 2-1 room to employee ratio...which means that most of the lower end ones carry in excess of 1000 employees. I can tell you at a 2112 room location (mid range) 10 years back they carried a staff of approximately 1100...very high by any hotel or service industry standards. When you are near 100% occupancy all year, you have to keep a large staff at all times to turn the place over and dish out the services to an average nightly audience of 4,000 humans (not including gators).

now even if they make only $8.00 an hour...the cost of taxes and benefits and the managerial staff on top of them means that all the revenue from half the rooms are automatically gone each day off the top.

but there is a staff cost to run the service areas, buses, maintenance, recreation, supplies, logistics and support that is shared in each location, stock and food, utilities, guest services, pest control (which also sometimes falls under guest services), horticulture, magical express, IT, etc, etc, etc...

Not a very hard accounting ledger to make the resort operate at ZERO...with the same sources of actual profit being manifested in Food, Liquor, and Mickey Plushes...as always.

Even at a huge overcharge.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #146
Tekneek
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bethlehem, GA
Posts: 366

Eliminating EMH would be an odd way to get people staying on property to keep spending money in the parks. The expense back at the hotel is going to be the same, and potentially even higher, if they are all packing the pool or simply roaming the grounds when they were accustomed to being in a park until midnight. Even worse, you may give them just enough time to consider doing something off property with the extra free time they would've willingly spent in a park.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #147
Grumpy's Gal
Of course, who wants to get gold lame' undies from a stranger? NOT ME!
I bought a bunch of trashy undies and had them mail them from all over the states
 
Grumpy's Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cheers! Where everybody knows your name.
Posts: 4,961

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorganS View Post
Fri night at MK was our favorite EMH. It was really special and a good reason to stay near MK.

I can't imagine a comparable replacement for it. Argh!

Sorry... nothing to be done about this, but vent :-(


I agree. Fri night EMH was the best part of our week. Especially if we flew back out on Saturday , it was our "last hurrah" so to speak. Now that the kids are older, it was a great way to end the week. And it wasn't so hot and it wasn't so crowded.

That was why we stay onsite. It might be time to go to Universal and try some other vacation destinations.
__________________
Sippin' tea, readin' the Dis...
Grumpy's Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #148
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Eliminating EMH would be an odd way to get people staying on property to keep spending money in the parks. The expense back at the hotel is going to be the same, and potentially even higher, if they are all packing the pool or simply roaming the grounds when they were accustomed to being in a park until midnight. Even worse, you may give them just enough time to consider doing something off property with the extra free time they would've willingly spent in a park.
On the surface...yes.

The answer inside the brain of the mouse is easy to decipher...

DISNEY SPRINGS.

Here's how it goes:

New "smart" park system which they've spent a Ton on allows them to schedule travelers with less downtime into tighter park schedules.

Days still 24hours...people still on recreation time...where do they go?
Exactly...new mega retail complex.

But this is nothing new...this IS where they want us.
Especially with more third party vendors and operators in play...it's just a better deal for them. Almost all the way around.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #149
phineasfan100
Mouseketeer
 
phineasfan100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
On the surface...yes.

The answer inside the brain of the mouse is easy to decipher...

DISNEY SPRINGS.

Here's how it goes:

New "smart" park system which they've spent a Ton on allows them to schedule travelers with less downtime into tighter park schedules.

Days still 24hours...people still on recreation time...where do they go?
Exactly...new mega retail complex.

But this is nothing new...this IS where they want us.
Especially with more third party vendors and operators in play...it's just a better deal for them. Almost all the way around.
THIS is EXACTLY what Disney higher-ups are thinking. It all makes sense after the Springs announcement.
__________________
'04-CBR '07-Swan '12-Dolphin

phineasfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #150
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran
 
Cogswel_Cogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,500

Is this now real? Anwhen does it begin was just about to book couple of days on trip and probabbly booking offsite location if it has ended.
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: