Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
CruizinTigers
Earning My Ears

Shopping in Charlotte Amalie to cruise terminal - how far?

Who knows how far it is from the shopping in Charlotte Amalie back to the cruise terminal? Is it possible to walk back after being dropped off their to do some shopping, and if so, is it safe to do so? Or is taking a taxi the only way back?

We are looking at the island sightseeing excursion which gives you the option of getting dropped off in Charlotte Amalie to experience the shopping there and are curious to understand our options for making it back to the ship.

Advice?
CruizinTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinTigers View Post
Who knows how far it is from the shopping in Charlotte Amalie back to the cruise terminal? Is it possible to walk back after being dropped off their to do some shopping, and if so, is it safe to do so? Or is taking a taxi the only way back?

We are looking at the island sightseeing excursion which gives you the option of getting dropped off in Charlotte Amalie to experience the shopping there and are curious to understand our options for making it back to the ship.

Advice?
You 'can' walk back but it is a pretty good distance. Go for the taxi. It's pretty cheap actually.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Distinkt
Earning My Ears

I agree, you can walk the distance, but it is a pretty good walk. My husband and I walked in and back the last cruise and it wasn't too bad. We walk a lot anyway, but my issue was that it was cool on the way in and very humid on the way back, and although I walk in the heat at home all the time we probably should have taken a taxi back. I didn't feel good for the rest of the afternoon, and my husband swore it was because I got too hot and dehydrated

Distinkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
owensamo
DIS Veteran

We walked from Charlotte Amalie to Havensight and back again (because we were anchored in the harbor and the tender dropped off and picked up in Charlotte Amalie. We had a 5 year old with us at the time, and ended up carrying her a lot! Otherwise, it was very doable, and at no time did I feel unsafe - well, maybe when walking on the sidewalk that was *right* up against the road, and people driving fast on the wrong side of the street...

It's a fairly long walk, but there's a lot to see. Some if it is right along the harbor, which is pretty. You would also walk thought he Yacht club - there are a lot of cool boats harbored there which are cool, and they have a fairly large number of high-end boutiques (and the worlds *slowest* Ben & Jerrys! 30 minutes for 3 milkshakes - and people behind us left because they were waiting so long! Island time for sure!). Once you get to Havensight, there were some areas that seemed sidewalk-less - but we were headed for the butterfly farm, not the port.

I would walk it again - not with a preschooler, but now she's older I could see it being more enjoyable. Now that said, we walked Key West from the port to the Southernmost Point as well - and honestly, I think that was longer (at least it felt like it!).
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
NWmom
DIS Veteran

20 minute walk there. It was a bit too warm at noon.

We took a taxi back. It's $4 per person each way flat rate. Tip if they give exceptional service.

Our driver got a tip as he got us back to the ship on time. I had made an error on changing my watch, so when I thought we had over an 1 1/2 hours left I had less than a 1/2 hour.

We made it back with 2-3 minutes to spare. That was cutting it way too late for me.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
CruizinTigers
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Thanks for your quick answers to my questions. Sounds like taxi ride back is the best advice, but good to know that walking back is not out of the question.
CruizinTigers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: