Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
pixie36
Earning My Ears

Wonder deck 1 whats it like?

We have never been on a cruise and I am looking at a 7 night from Galveston this November. But in looking at the different prices there is a oceanview room with 2 small port holes and it is 500.00 less than an inside cabin I imagine it is because it is on deck 1.

Does staying in deck 1 seem like you are under water or is it loud? Not sure it is worth paying 500.00 more for an inside room just to be in a deck further up?

thanks for any helpful info anyone may have!
pixie36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
lady9
DIS Veteran

We have sailed on deck 2 twice and love it, once on the Wonder and once on the Magic. I've hear that deck 1 is quiet because there isn't much foot traffic. I'd save the $500 and get the porthole room. I like natural light in my stateroom.
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Disneypeach
Mouseketeer

we were on deck one on the Magic many years ago and it turned out great. We ran into a hurricane and being midships and lower down kept us from feeling the full force of the 12-14 foot waves. As PP mentioned, it was much quieter.
Peach

Disneypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Deck one

Was told the Dr. Office, Morgue, and Jail are on deck one.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie36 View Post
We have never been on a cruise and I am looking at a 7 night from Galveston this November. But in looking at the different prices there is a oceanview room with 2 small port holes and it is 500.00 less than an inside cabin I imagine it is because it is on deck 1.

Does staying in deck 1 seem like you are under water or is it loud? Not sure it is worth paying 500.00 more for an inside room just to be in a deck further up?

We traded a sideways inside room on deck 5 for a 2 porthole room on deck 1. The only reason higher decks are higher prices (or midship vs forward/aft) is because people are told they are universally better somehow, without any specific evidence or context for what a particular family might want out of their vacation. I love staying forward or aft on the classics because the elevators are always easier to get in and out of and the ship isn't too big to make a difference in length of walk. We initially booked the inside room on deck 5 for convenience to the clubs/nursery for late-night pickups of kids, but once I saw that the bigger room with split bath and natural light was not that much more it was a no-brainer, especially because deck 1 is QUIET. :D
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
pixie36
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the info, it sounds like deck 1 should be just fine for us.

Keep the comments coming :-)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
ravensilverlight
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie36 View Post

I have stayed on Decks 1 and 2 on the classic ships - VERY quiet and we enjoyed both. It was a little..."interesting" when the seas got rough and we were able to see some splashes outside the window, though!

Another thing to consider, though...I have noticed that sometimes the inside rooms on the Dream/Fantasy seem to be priced higher than the outsides. I think it might have something to do with the magic portholes in the inside rooms. Perhaps there's some carryover in the pricing scheme? Just my thoughts!

I say, go for the outside, cheaper room! Any place on the ship is better than being at work!

Disney Wonder, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 * Disney Magic, 2011 * Disney Dream, 2013

Last edited by ravensilverlight; 03-30-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: ETA - forgot a thought in the middle *facepalm
ravensilverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I was on deck 1 of the Magic and my whole family loved it! It was super quiet with almost no one ever walking by our room. In fact, we liked it so much that we booked a room on the first desk for our next cruise.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
pixie36
Earning My Ears

Yes I agree any deck on the cruise will be better than being at work!!! We are really looking forward to the cruise thanks for all the info.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: