Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Of course there's empathy and compassion. You'd have to be heartless not to feel it. But I think we're all just trying to remind parents to be extra careful with your kids while on vacation.
The thing is accidents can happen at any time. I wonder, everyone who is criticizing these parents, at what age do you not have to watch your kid 24/7/365? With a 9 year old child, while I don't think I'd leave the pool area, I might be reading or watching something else. I think it's in very poor taste to criticize the parents.

However, if the report is correct and the child was only 4, not only should the parents not leave the pool area, one (or a responsible adult) should be in the pool with the child. I think there's more to the story. I don't see anyway a parent leaves a 4 year old at a pool without an adult (or at least older child) to watch out for them.

For me, my child would need to be ~7 to be in the water without an adult in the water. Probably 10-12 before I let them go to the pool unattended.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #32
richw2
Mouseketeer

My wife was a lifeguard a Disney for many years...Amazing how many parents just drop the kids off at the water parks and use them as baby sitters. Just plain wrong!! The drowning at the park last month took place when the pools were closed, no life guards on duty, and the boy was diving in shallow water.. Today also posted no life guard, and no parents there with a 4 year old in family pool. I feel so bad here, but the parents should... never mind...I wont go there... A sad night for sure...
richw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #33
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

I'm so sorry to read about this. Heartbreaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
I saw that post. Just heartbreaking. Praying for the boy and his family.

I use to be a trauma volunteer, called to scenes, hospitals by police, fire, er staff, etc. My last call was devastating for me that I had to stop. It was a backyard drowning. The girl was 8. Parents said she could swim. They were having a BBQ, just their family. The mom was inside doing the dishes the window looking right out at the pool, feeding the smaller daughter, the dad was at the grill - right next to the pool, the oldest daughter by herself in the shallow end of the pool. And she drowned. I stayed at the home with the sister, playing with her, distracting her as their parents left to the hospital. The 6 year old sister took me to her room to play, she shared with her older sister. She looked up at me and asked me "Is sissy coming home? I don't think she's coming home."

It was shattering to walk right into their nightmare, seeing everything just as it was. Steaks, juice, towels, lights on the pool. At the time my daughter was 8 too. When the parents came home, they told their child and the crying was something I'll never forget. I was also helping family members, aunts, uncles, grandparents.

I did many calls, suicides, accident sites, even was with an elderly wife at the bedside when her husband passed in the hospital. But this one devastated me. All I could think about was my daughter and I cried for weeks.
This story is so vivid and sad. Put a lump in my throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
I'm sure many of you have seen this but wanted to provide the link again. 'Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning' is an important read.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

I am so scared of my kids drowning. They take swim lessons and I watch them like a hawk. My husband thinks I'm a nut but it only takes a moment and everything can change. I am so sad for the parents.
I am a fanatic about my children around water. They have had lessons and have swam competitively. I still watch them.

There was an incident where the kids were taking swimming lessons. They were in the early years of elementary. I was sitting beside the pool a few feet away, talking with a parent. One of my kids went to get a ring that had drifted away from the wall. He let go and went towards the ring and couldn't get back. I wasn't looking at him, I was talking. I heard a little something that got my attention. Then I glanced over and saw a look of terror in his eyes and saw him struggling to get to the side. He couldn't make it. He had been trying and panicking for I don't know how long, doing a lot of thrashing to keep his head above water. His breathing was labored. All the kids were silent on the wall watching him! They couldn't help him. They couldn't swim. I don't think they knew what they were witnessing. The instructor was a good bit away in the water, talking to another instructor. She didn't see a thing. I laid on the side of the pool, halfway in and extended my arm out to him and pulled him over.

He sat on my lap crying for half of the class. It took him a long time to even be able to talk. I just held him and told him he was alright. He did join the class again, but I told him he didn't have to get back in that day. The day ended as well as it could, it could have been a tragedy.

I was fortunate to be there. You can bet when I was talking on the side of the pool, I was facing my kids from that point on! I won't drop my kids off at a pool after something like that because even though they can swim, kids take risks that don't seem like risks to them. Not criticizing others, that's just my perspective and what I do after my experience.

I learned that drowning is a silent killer. I think he didn't cry out for help because he spent all of his energy trying to get a breath and breathing.

I'll never forget that day as long as I live.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Here is an article i found. They quote the other thread on this board. Apparently the boy was 4 yrs old? Wow.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2927140.story
There are conflicting reports, regarding the child's age, and the DIS is the source for the parent's whereabouts. The only new information is the name of the hospital
Quote:
Of course there's empathy and compassion. You'd have to be heartless not to feel it. But I think we're all just trying to remind parents to be extra careful with your kids while on vacation.
Some, but not all. IMO

I remember a thread from last week. A toddler was gunned down and many on the DIS had convicted Mom, within hours. Seems to be a regular occurrence.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #35
sookie
DIS Veteran

So sad. I remember someone here on the dis posted a great blog about the signs of drowning - I couldn't find it but I found a similar one.

http://mariarote.com/could-your-chil...ore-your-eyes/

What we think is drowning just doesn't look like drowning. It just seems so silent. I took this from the article.

1. Except in rare circumstances, drowning people are physiologically
unable to call out for help. The respiratory system
was designed for breathing. Speech is the secondary, or overlaid,
function. Breathing must be fulfilled, before speech occurs.

2. Drowning people’s mouths alternately sink below and reappear
above the surface of the water. The mouths of drowning people
are not above the surface of the water long enough for them to
exhale, inhale, and call out for help. When the drowning people’s
mouths are above the surface, they exhale and inhale quickly as
their mouths start to sink below the surface of the water.

3. Drowning people cannot wave for help. Nature instinctively
forces them to extend their arms laterally and press down on
the water’s surface. Pressing down on the surface of the water,
permits drowning people to leverage their bodies so they can
lift their mouths out of the water to breathe.

4. Throughout the Instinctive Drowning Response, drowning
people cannot voluntarily control their arm movements.
Physiologically, drowning people who are struggling on the surface
of the water cannot stop drowning and perform voluntary
movements such as waving for help, moving toward a rescuer,
or reaching out for a piece of rescue equipment.

5. From beginning to end of the Instinctive Drowning Response
people’s bodies remain upright in the water, with no evidence of
a supporting kick. Unless rescued by a trained lifeguard, these
drowning people can only struggle on the surface of the water
from 20 to 60 seconds before submersion occurs.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #36
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
There are conflicting reports, regarding the child's age, and the DIS is the source for the parent's whereabouts. The only new information is the name of the hospital

Some, but not all. IMO

I remember a thread from last week. A toddler was gunned down and many on the DIS had convicted Mom, within hours. Seems to be a regular occurrence.
I think it gives people a false sense of security. It makes them feel better to think they are better parents than the families involved in these accidents. If they are better parents, nothing like this could happen to their children.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #37
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

If reports of the child's age are true, I really hope he was not left unattended at/in the pool.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #38
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
If reports of the child's age are true, I really hope he was not left unattended at/in the pool.
Which reports? That he was 4 (in which I agree) or 9 (I'm willing to cut a little slack)? And yes, the ages make a difference in my mind.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #39
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Which reports? That he was 4 (in which I agree) or 9 (I'm willing to cut a little slack)? And yes, the ages make a difference in my mind.
It doesn't in mine, but I was referring to him being 4.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #40
Swimmergirl
DIS Veteran

So sad. While it is easy to judge the parents on here, I just feel awful for them. Accidents happen, even to the most attentive parents. And anytime people are swimming there is a chance of drowning. I was a competitive swimmer growing up, and swam for my university. One afternoon a few members of the swim team were getting in an extra workout during finals week. Most of the group was in the diving tank, but one of my friends was in the main part of the pool doing laps. No one knows exactly what happened, but he drowned. He was a highly trained, competitive swimmer. Accidents happen. Pray for the family, but try not to judge too harshly.

Aug 1996 - Dixie Landings, Jul 2002 - WL & Disney Wonder (Honeymoon!!), Jul 2003 - CR (1st Anniversary!), May 2005 - Poly, May 2006 - POR/SSR/Poly (Mother's Day Suprise!), Jun 2007 - Disneyland, Apr 2008 - WL & Disney Wonder, Oct 2008 - OKW, Oct 2009 - Offsite, Jul 2010 - POR, Jun 2011 - BLT, Dec 2011 - OKW, Aug 2012 - OKW & Disney Dream, Jun 2013 - BLT, Aug 2014 - AKV & Disney Fantasy
Swimmergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #41
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I can't even image, those poor parents. How do you ever overcome this?
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #42
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmergirl View Post
So sad. While it is easy to judge the parents on here, I just feel awful for them. Accidents happen, even to the most attentive parents. And anytime people are swimming there is a chance of drowning. I was a competitive swimmer growing up, and swam for my university. One afternoon a few members of the swim team were getting in an extra workout during finals week. Most of the group was in the diving tank, but one of my friends was in the main part of the pool doing laps. No one knows exactly what happened, but he drowned. He was a highly trained, competitive swimmer. Accidents happen. Pray for the family, but try not to judge too harshly.
Exactly.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #43
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

As a former cp with 2 roommates who were lifeguards, I can tell you there are a lot of bad parents in the world. Just as many people would like to assume best intentions, and of course there is empathy, I have heard story after story every day from my former disney lifeguard roomies. One parent went to the top of the slide at a pool and sent the baby down with no one at the bottom. Then yelled at the lifeguard ( who was fully dressed as her shift was well over). to jump in to catch him. Of course she did.Kids are left unattended at the resort pools daily, small children. This happens daily.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #44
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
I'm so sorry to read about this. Heartbreaking.

This story is so vivid and sad. Put a lump in my throat.

I am a fanatic about my children around water. They have had lessons and have swam competitively. I still watch them.

There was an incident where the kids were taking swimming lessons. They were in the early years of elementary. I was sitting beside the pool a few feet away, talking with a parent. One of my kids went to get a ring that had drifted away from the wall. He let go and went towards the ring and couldn't get back. I wasn't looking at him, I was talking. I heard a little something that got my attention. Then I glanced over and saw a look of terror in his eyes and saw him struggling to get to the side. He couldn't make it. He had been trying and panicking for I don't know how long, doing a lot of thrashing to keep his head above water. His breathing was labored. All the kids were silent on the wall watching him! They couldn't help him. They couldn't swim. I don't think they knew what they were witnessing. The instructor was a good bit away in the water, talking to another instructor. She didn't see a thing. I laid on the side of the pool, halfway in and extended my arm out to him and pulled him over.

He sat on my lap crying for half of the class. It took him a long time to even be able to talk. I just held him and told him he was alright. He did join the class again, but I told him he didn't have to get back in that day. The day ended as well as it could, it could have been a tragedy.

I was fortunate to be there. You can bet when I was talking on the side of the pool, I was facing my kids from that point on! I won't drop my kids off at a pool after something like that because even though they can swim, kids take risks that don't seem like risks to them. Not criticizing others, that's just my perspective and what I do after my experience.

I learned that drowning is a silent killer. I think he didn't cry out for help because he spent all of his energy trying to get a breath and breathing.

I'll never forget that day as long as I live.
I experienced something similar. My son was five and was taking swimming lessons. I was watching from the side. As the instructor was working with one of the kids, my son drifted out and I saw he was sinking. It took me a few seconds to realize that he wasn't able to swim back to the side. I yelled for someone to help him as I was running toward the pool ready to jump in. Someone helped him in time.

One of my relatives drowned when she was three. I was a kid at the time and don't know the details. Another relative almost drowned when a babysitter took him to the pool area and let him play while she talked to her friend. The paramedics had to revive him.

Needless to say, I never left my young kids alone at a pool, not even for swimming lessons. It was such a fear for me that I was very overprotective and wouldn't take my eyes off of them when they were around water. The pool in our neighborhood requires kids to be at least over the age of 12 to swim without an adult.

If the child on the Disney ship was four, maybe he just wandered into the pool area and his parents thought he was by their side. I can't imagine anyone leaving a 4 year old alone in the pool. I don't think this is Disney's fault, but I do think there should be a lifeguard at the pool. If it added a few bucks to everyone's cost, I doubt people would mind.
Bluestars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #45
AC7179
DIS Veteran

If the child was really four, I think chances are Mom that he was with Dad, Dad thought he was with Mom, and kid thought he'd take a swim. I think that is way more likely than parents telling a four year old to have fun and see ya later!

While I wouldn't leave my child alone at the pool, I think we all have made parenting (or other) decisions in our lives that could have turned out very badly and by the grace of God did not! So even if the parents left a 9 year old in the pool while they went to get a soda, I'm just going to pray for them and not judge. I hope the child makes a complete recovery.
AC7179 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: