Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
Disney doesn't need to do anything different IMO, there needs to be more responsibility of the parents though!
Parents need to be the utmost responsible people/person for their children. You can't just leave them at any pool anywhere at 9 or 10. Not really Disney related at all.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

I saw that post. Just heartbreaking. Praying for the boy and his family.

I use to be a trauma volunteer, called to scenes, hospitals by police, fire, er staff, etc. My last call was devastating for me that I had to stop. It was a backyard drowning. The girl was 8. Parents said she could swim. They were having a BBQ, just their family. The mom was inside doing the dishes the window looking right out at the pool, feeding the smaller daughter, the dad was at the grill - right next to the pool, the oldest daughter by herself in the shallow end of the pool. And she drowned. I stayed at the home with the sister, playing with her, distracting her as their parents left to the hospital. The 6 year old sister took me to her room to play, she shared with her older sister. She looked up at me and asked me "Is sissy coming home? I don't think she's coming home."

It was shattering to walk right into their nightmare, seeing everything just as it was. Steaks, juice, towels, lights on the pool. At the time my daughter was 8 too. When the parents came home, they told their child and the crying was something I'll never forget. I was also helping family members, aunts, uncles, grandparents.

I did many calls, suicides, accident sites, even was with an elderly wife at the bedside when her husband passed in the hospital. But this one devastated me. All I could think about was my daughter and I cried for weeks.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 03-30-2013 at 07:07 PM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
PansTinkerBell
PansTink

this is so sad! I seem to remember a set of rules posted by the pools on the Magic and Wonder that said kids under 14 have to be supervised in the pools. If the parents were not there that is their fault. If you want Lifeguards on the pools 24/7 expect the price of the cruise to go up because they would need even more crew to do so. Not Disney's fault solidly the parents fault. Not only that boy's parents but the parents of the other kids that were jumping in the pool. Again if I remember correctly it says no jumping or diving into the pools. Same reason.
PansTinkerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Oh yes I agree! Parents need to be more responsible and not leave kids alone to swim.

While on vacation, its just my son and I. Granted he just turned 13, but I still watch him like a hawk!!! When he swims, I swim! I'm extra careful on vacation because well, you just never know. Anything can happen.
So very true! When I was between 1st and 2nd grade, I was in the same position. While floating around at a lake with a swimming beach, two men who were playing tag along the beach tripped over me and ended up sitting on top of me. Luckily, my father noticed that I had disappeared and rushed to the water to pull me out.

Were it not for his attentiveness, I wouldn't be 68 now. (P.S. - That rather put me off water sports for good!)

Mickey Mouse Club Member No. 37,399 1955 * DL/DLR 1957 * DVC 2005 * DCL 2006 * WDW 2006 - Disneyland was just down the road....
m4travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Yes...it can happen in the blink of an eye.

The DIS never disappoints. Posters enjoy kicking a person when they are down...then pile on. It makes me sick.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster
I saw that post. Just heartbreaking. Praying for the boy and his family.

I use to be a trauma volunteer, called to scenes, hospitals by police, fire, er staff, etc. My last call was devastating for me that I had to stop. It was a backyard drowning. The girl was 8. Parents said she could swim. They were having a BBQ, just their family. The mom was inside doing the dishes the window looking right out at the pool, feeding the smaller daughter, the dad was at the grill - right next to the pool, the oldest daughter by herself in the shallow end of the pool. And she drowned. I stayed at the home with the sister, playing with her, distracting her as their parents left to the hospital. The 6 year old sister took me to her room to play, she shared with her older sister. She looked up at me and asked me "Is sissy coming home? I don't think she's coming home."

It was shattering to walk right into their nightmare, seeing everything just as it was. Steaks, juice, towels, lights on the pool. At the time my daughter was 8 too. When the parents came home, they told their child and the crying was something I'll never forget. I was also helping family members, aunts, uncles, grandparents.

I did many calls, suicides, accident sites, even was with an elderly wife at the bedside when her husband passed in the hospital. But this one devastated me. All I could think about was my daughter and I cried for weeks.
I cried reading your post. I can't imagine just how terrible that was for the family.

Praying that the boy pulls through.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Yes...it can happen in the blink of an eye.

The DIS never disappoints. Posters enjoy kicking a person when they are down...then pile on. It makes me sick.
How so? By having a reasonable expectation that parents actually parent their children?
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #23
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
I cried reading your post. I can't imagine just how terrible that was for the family.

Praying that the boy pulls through.
It was awful. She's buried at the same cemetary as my brother and I always stop by, in the childrens section. I can still remember her bedroom, her crafts, her bed, her pictures in that room.

Her family worked really hard on preventing drownings in the media. Everytime summer comes and the paper does that article again, you know, about drownings, she's always interviewed. Very sad.

I know the Orlando Centinnial paper is investigating...I hope he's okay.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDumbo View Post
How so? By having a reasonable expectation that parents actually parent their children?
This is your first reaction, not a moment of empathy or compassion? Tried and convicted, with very little information, a bit of hearsay and no facts?
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #25
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

I'm sure many of you have seen this but wanted to provide the link again. 'Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning' is an important read.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

I am so scared of my kids drowning. They take swim lessons and I watch them like a hawk. My husband thinks I'm a nut but it only takes a moment and everything can change. I am so sad for the parents.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
It doesnt make sense to me as to why they'd only have someone monitor the slide and not the pool.
Liability. Although, I'd imagined Disney is self-insured. Insurance companies require a guard (who may not even be certified as a lifeguard as they are often called "attendants") to monitor a slide even if the remainder of the pool is swim-at-your-own-risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
the oldest daughter by herself in the shallow end of the pool.
My toughest rescues were swimmers who had medical emergencies in the water (seizure, diabetic episode, etc). So even though they were stellar swimmers it didn't prevent the near-drowning.

My heart breaks for the family! I cannot imagine the emotional toll of heading towards a family vacay to a medical emergency.
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
This is your first reaction, not a moment of empathy or compassion? Tried and convicted, with very little information, a bit of hearsay and no facts?
No kidding. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye. No one knows anything about these parents. They could be the best parents in the world and terrible things still happen. I hope none of these people passing judgement ever have to experience something like this to find out how helpless you can be in these situations.

Unfortunately I have seen it up close and personally in my family. I lost a sibling due to a freak accident. I wish it on no one.

I hope this does not end in tragedy.

Last edited by Allison; 03-30-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Oh how awful. I hope that child is okay. Stories like this just rip me apart.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Here is an article i found. They quote the other thread on this board. Apparently the boy was 4 yrs old? Wow.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2927140.story

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981

Of course there's empathy and compassion. You'd have to be heartless not to feel it. But I think we're all just trying to remind parents to be extra careful with your kids while on vacation.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: