DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #16
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

When we first became members, our first trip we paid for mousekeeping every day. It was alot less expensive then but we still realized that we would be happier spending that money elsewhere.

It takes a couple of minutes in the morning to make the bed, and I appreciate that someone is not in our room every day. Trash is not a big deal either and, as pp, I don't have to worry about having singles everyday for a tip.

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #17
KayW
Mouseketeer

I didn't mind not having it. I just pulled up the covers on the bed each morning. We did put the pull out couch back each day so we could have space. I was a little worried about not having enough toiletries, but it all worked out.
All Star Music 2006 1st visits for my husband and DD ,POP Century 2/2008, POP Century 2/2009 CELBRATING FAMILY!, POFQ 2/2010, Disney Cruise on the Dream 2/2011 and again 2/2012!,Bay Lake Tower 2/2013,Celebrating my 40th at BCV 4/2013, Villas at the Grand Floridian 2/2014
KayW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

I don't miss it at all. I'd rather not have a stranger coming into my room with my valuables and personal things.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I think the OP is experiencing the same concerns about housekeeping that most new DVC Owners do. Some owners do pay for daily housekeeping, but the vast majority of owners, once they experience no daily housekeeping, like it.

When I leave my room in the morning, I make sure the entry door are all locked securely, especially the one bedroom/studio connecting door. I've never had anything go missing, including electronics that I've left in plain sight. If I had daily housekeeping, I'd feel the need to tidy the room up a little and secure/hide laptops and other electronics, and in a way, now on housekeeping days (while I absolutely appreciate the fresh towels and freshly made beds) I feel a little "put out." Plus I usually do leave a tip for the housekeepers. I think the rooms, from a maintenance standpoint, do need to have a quick walk through by a housekeeper every few days, so I wouldn't make any changes to the schedule.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Try this one. You've been in the parks with the kids and they are tired and hot. You want to take a nap. But you get back to your hotel room and the housekeeper is just getting started. No nap time for you.

With DVC, you just crawl right back into that bed.
All you have to do is tell the housekeeper "no need to clean today, we'd like to take a nap - but you can take the old towels and leave us some new ones." They walk out the door and you have your nap - and clean towels without washing them yourself.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

I agree with most. I too thought I wouldn't like not having maid service, but I was wrong. It's great not having to worry about coming back to your room mid-day and dealing with someone coming in to clean. We are tidy people. My husband makes the bed everyday and that includes on vacation too. I actually have to pull the covers down on our housekeeping day so that they change the sheets. He hates an unmade bed. When we have a 1 or 2 bedroom, he always does the dishes too. Since we always stay long enough to have a full cleaning once or twice a trip, we do have to work around it so that they get to come in and take care of things. We take our own trash out too. It's just not a big deal like we thought it might be.

2015 TRIPS-Under Construction
April 29 - May 16 @ BCV
Sept 11-12@ BLT; ? + Cruise
Oct 25 - Nov 7 @ ?

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

My husband hates having someone in our room amongst our things everyday, so he really enjoyed not having the daily service. Plus he cleans all the time, so our villa looked pretty much the same every single day! One of the perks I do like in hotels is clean towels and sheets every day, which we do not get at home, but I'm okay giving that up for the great travel opportunities DVC affords us.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #23
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Another vote for love not having a stranger in our room everyday. We don't feel like we need to lock up every little gadget while we're gone. Doesn't bother me a bit not to have daily maid service. Makes me feel more at home!!

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Another one here who would rather not see housekeeping at all on a trip as long as they do my fresh towels every 4th day. We take our own garbage out on the way out of the room, and it takes maybe a minute to put the bed back in order. It isn't work, and I like not having someone in my villa every day that isn't part of the family.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflaherty View Post
I am almost a member..closed and waiting for that number! It dawned on me how much I'm going to miss that clean room with beds made when I return from the day. That's one of the best parts of vacation. I'm a mom of 2 toddlers and do not want to make beds or clean on a vacation. I am still very excited to be a member!
Those could have been my words 11 years ago. Honestly, the lack of daily housekeeping was one of the reasons we didn't buy earlier-I just couldn't get past that. But when I found out we COULD get it if we paid extra, it was OK. But I forgot to arrange it on our first trip, and you know what? I was shocked that I enjoyed it! No strangers in "my home" when we're not there.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #26
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Try this one. You've been in the parks with the kids and they are tired and hot. You want to take a nap. But you get back to your hotel room and the housekeeper is just getting started. No nap time for you.

With DVC, you just crawl right back into that bed.
I totally hear ya. Especially when we r doing a summer trip where we hang at the pool and resort most of the day till we go to the parks after dinner. So many times when in regular rooms it was hard to go back and forth cause of maid service.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanksgiving week at AKV's with my family and parents!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
Greenfairy
Mouseketeer - DVC Member since 2013

We generally only used mouse keeping 1-2 times a trip anyway so I don't think this will bother us. ( our first trip as members is this summer.). But I will miss the shampoos and lotions. I love the lotions. I'll have to hot an outlet and buy some on my way home.
Honeymoon (1 day) 2000, First trip as a family POP Feb. 2009, Port Orleans Riverside Jan 2010, Third family trip and mommy's second Magical birthday trip. POP Feb 2011, Coronado Springs August 2012, Disney Magic Cruise and Coronado Springs Feb 2013, First DVC trip Aug 2013
Me DH DS(11) DD (8)
Greenfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #28
elfbo
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POR this trip for 8 days, and kept being in the room when it was housekeeping time. We ended up getting the room cleaned 3 times on that trip. It wasnt bad at all, we didnt even unpack the bag of stuff they left on our door the days we didnt get cleaned.

Love me a mid day nap, so i can be ready for one of the night time shows!

POR - Jan 2013!!! (1st Anniversary)
All Stars Movies - Jan 2012 (Wedding!!!)
POFQ - Sep 2004, POR - Sep 2003, WDW - 1996, WDW - 1992, Disneyland - 1984
elfbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: