Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
We have 4 fridges at work and that has to accommodate a lot of people. Most people put in a small lunch bag, maybe yogurt or string cheese, a frozen meal, etc., and then the others...

I think it's inconsiderate to stock the fridge at work like it's the one at your home!! Loaves of bread, heads of lettuce, lunch meat, large jars of mayo, gallons of milk for one person, you get what I'm saying.
Make your sandwich at home and bring it in so that maybe more than you and 5 other people can fit something in the fridge. Everyday I see someone try to fit their smaller lunch bag in and give up.

Or, my favorite, the woman who brought 16 lean cuisines in and filled up almost 2 of the 4 freezers. That was nice of her.
Seriously? Maybe 2 or 3 at time, but 16????

ugh!
The last office that I worked at, many of us had our own little box fridges under our desks in our own cubicles... it was great, the bosses loved it as we didn't have leave our desk just to get a drink, and no complained about people hogging the fridge.
I am the process of setting my home office back up, as I finally got a new job today, and I will be stocking my mini fridge back there with yogurt, cheese sticks, bottled water and such so I don't have to leave my office to get a snack/drink, and I can be "at work" once again. Considering turning our old slide in camper into an office so I can actually leave "home" and go to "work".

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemck View Post
The last office that I worked at, many of us had our own little box fridges under our desks in our own cubicles... it was great, the bosses loved it as we didn't have leave our desk just to get a drink, and no complained about people hogging the fridge.
I am the process of setting my home office back up, as I finally got a new job today, and I will be stocking my mini fridge back there with yogurt, cheese sticks, bottled water and such so I don't have to leave my office to get a snack/drink, and I can be "at work" once again. Considering turning our old slide in camper into an office so I can actually leave "home" and go to "work".
While we have 3 fridges spread across 3 break rooms, a lot of folks opt for the dorm fridges under their desk. Yeah, the public fridges get gross. We had a reporter buy some fish for a story, left it in the public fridge for months, they he denied it was the same fish. The wonder of TV, we found his story, cued up the close up of the label, and pointed out the price, weight and sell by date were the same. Guilty as charged.
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

The fridges in the staff room at my school are also crowded, and gross! Not only are they filled with lunches, but teachers often need to refrigerate ingredients for their classroom projects and parties. Yesterday, there were several cartons of hard boiled eggs stacked up. Today is my day off, but I can only imagine the number of Easter cupcakes and jugs of fruit punch and lemonade in there!

My sister was having fridge problems at her office. She likes to keep a few drinks and snacks in the fridge, but she would often find her bag opened like someone had been rifling through it. One day, we went shopping at Target and we each bought a mini fridge. Actually, she paid for both of them! She's the VP of Finance at her company and is authorized to make donations on behalf of the company. She bought herself a fridge and donated one with company money to my special needs classroom. It's just big enough for the three of us staff members to keep our lunches, a few bottles of water and cans of soda. We also keep little ice packs in the freezer compartment for bumps and boo boos! We keep it clean and defrosted, and I take it home during the summers so it doesn't get up and "walk away."
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

I used to work in a federal government building. If you personally did not contribute to the fridge fund you could not use the fridge. Yes, the agency did not supply the fridge and people would contribute money as a group to pay for a fridge.

And yes, there was a sign up sheet and you would get "talked about" if you didn't pay in the fund for a fridge.

They had the same rules for microwave as well. If you didn't pay for it, you couldn't use the microwave.

There was the same rule about the water cooler as well...

I could go on.

Needless to say, I didn't pay for a fridge, microwave or water funds.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Every place I've ever worked, there's been a lot of contention about the office refrigerators. You try to get a sign-up sheet so everyone pitches in on cleaning, but it always ends up with only a couple of people cleaning and everyone else "forgetting". I got so fed up one time that I threw everything out, cleaned the refrig and put a small padlock on the plug so it couldn't be plugged in (as office manager, I could get away with stuff like that). A week of moaning and groaning and then most everyone pitched in for about six months. Alas, then it started over again and I had to threaten to get the padlock out. I don't know what it would take to get everyone with the program.....
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
While we have 3 fridges spread across 3 break rooms, a lot of folks opt for the dorm fridges under their desk. Yeah, the public fridges get gross. We had a reporter buy some fish for a story, left it in the public fridge for months, they he denied it was the same fish. The wonder of TV, we found his story, cued up the close up of the label, and pointed out the price, weight and sell by date were the same. Guilty as charged.
My office banned those, along with under desk heaters. Cubicles typically are not wired for refrigerators or heaters.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
My office banned those, along with under desk heaters. Cubicles typically are not wired for refrigerators or heaters.
I work in a federal building and the small refridgerators under the desk would NEVER be allowed. When i worked for a private company in an office building, they were allowed, even in cubicles. They didn't seem to cause any power issues but the small heaters sure did.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Every month the refrigerators and freezers in my office get cleaned of everything. A note is posted about a week before and literally everything that is in there is tossed. It keeps people from doing what people in your office are doing. I personally bring my lunch in an insulated bag and keep it on my desk.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Wow thats so rude! if you know who the food belongs to, i'd confront him/her. Or you can go to the supervisor/manager and have them deal with it.

At my work i've had to deal with food thieves! I hate that!
From the Hosptial Parking Lot Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlynnp
OP, it's sound as though you hold a managerial position with the hospital. As such I would at a minimum report the incident to the offender's supervisor, if you aren't comfortable addressing it that way, then report in directly to HR.

Quote:
goofyintoronto]Why would the supervisor be dragged into this? This has nothing to do with how they do their job

Just curious how in the food scenario it would be Ok to report this behavior to a supervisor but in the hospital parking lot thread scenario it would not be OK to report it to a supevisor? Neither scenario has to do with the person's work performance.

Truly don't understand the difference. To me yelling an obscenity to someone in the workplace parking lot is a bigger offense than taking up too much fridge space.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I wouldn't use a community fridge like that because one never knows who is pawing through one's food.

An insulated bag with an ice pack works fine for me, thanks.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Kind of OT, but I love passive-aggressive Fridge Notes....

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
We have 4 fridges at work and that has to accommodate a lot of people. Most people put in a small lunch bag, maybe yogurt or string cheese, a frozen meal, etc., and then the others...

I think it's inconsiderate to stock the fridge at work like it's the one at your home!! Loaves of bread, heads of lettuce, lunch meat, large jars of mayo, gallons of milk for one person, you get what I'm saying.
Make your sandwich at home and bring it in so that maybe more than you and 5 other people can fit something in the fridge. Everyday I see someone try to fit their smaller lunch bag in and give up.

Or, my favorite, the woman who brought 16 lean cuisines in and filled up almost 2 of the 4 freezers. That was nice of her.
Seriously? Maybe 2 or 3 at time, but 16????

ugh!
Where I work, anything in the fridge seems to be fair game for quite a few people. So bring in a loaf of bread and you'd be happy to get a few slices after everyone filched it. Milk? Yeah, I used to bring CoffeeMate creamer in. Put my initials on the bottle and it was STILL gone in a week (I drink one 16 oz cup of coffee a day). 16 lean cuisines? Again, she'd be considered "lucky" if she actually got to eat 5 out of the 16 of her own frozen meals.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #28
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
In this day and age, with folks running power hungry computers, and laser printers and scanners and paper shredders in their cubicles, if a little fridge causes issues with as little power as they draw, you've got big time wiring problems.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

The policy at our work is everything is pitched on Fridays and cleaned by the cleaning crew. I've lost perfectly good lean cuisine's and various tupperware containers when I skipped lunch and forgot to grab items by 4pm on Friday.

At our busiest times of year when we work into the wee hours and over the weekend we halt the fridge clean-outs for a few weeks. By the end of that 3 weeks the fridges are just gross.

I like that they clean them every friday, it stops people from stock-piling and keeps them nice and clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Kind of OT, but I love passive-aggressive Fridge Notes....
LOL, OMG who has the time for that? I can't even imagine something making me so upset that I would write a note about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
From the Hosptial Parking Lot Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlynnp
OP, it's sound as though you hold a managerial position with the hospital. As such I would at a minimum report the incident to the offender's supervisor, if you aren't comfortable addressing it that way, then report in directly to HR.

Just curious how in the food scenario it would be Ok to report this behavior to a supervisor but in the hospital parking lot thread scenario it would not be OK to report it to a supevisor? Neither scenario has to do with the person's work performance.

Truly don't understand the difference. To me yelling an obscenity to someone in the workplace parking lot is a bigger offense than taking up too much fridge space.

MJ
I had the same thought. Seems leaving 16 lean cuisine's in a fridge is much more tame than swearing at others while on work grounds.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
tvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy B View Post
I used to work in a federal government building. If you personally did not contribute to the fridge fund you could not use the fridge. Yes, the agency did not supply the fridge and people would contribute money as a group to pay for a fridge.

And yes, there was a sign up sheet and you would get "talked about" if you didn't pay in the fund for a fridge.

They had the same rules for microwave as well. If you didn't pay for it, you couldn't use the microwave.

There was the same rule about the water cooler as well...

I could go on.

Needless to say, I didn't pay for a fridge, microwave or water funds.
I guess it depends on how big the staff is, but most of the Federal offices here have their own cafeterias, run and staffed by Federal workers. Now, the cafeteria is supposed to be self sufficent with prices charged covering the cost, but they government is paying for the space and the electricity, so all they have to cover is food cost and labor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: