Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #121
ariel71
For all my luck, the Google car would drive by right then, and when I want to sell my house next year, all people would see is a yard full of flamingos when they Google the address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
There was a guy in my office once and, like I said before, working in law enforcement i hear **** constantly.....however, this particular guy constantly would yell "Jesus ****ing Christ" or "God ****ing Damn". To me, it was like fingernails on a chalkboard.
I understand that we have a difference of opinion, but I don't understand why you keep using examples of law enforcement as if they apply to a hospital setting. It's an entirely different environment - like comparing apples to oranges. I don't think anyone disagrees that the tone at a police barracks is going to be rougher around the edges. This also isn't all about just hearing someone swear - it's about having it shouted AT you. I highly doubt the OP would have started the thread had she just overheard the employee say **** after dropping her keys.

Last edited by ariel71; 03-30-2013 at 12:02 PM.
ariel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #122
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel71 View Post
I understand that we have a difference of opinion, but I don't understand why you keep using examples of law enforcement as if they apply to a hospital setting. It's an entirely different environment - like comparing apples to oranges. I don't think anyone disagrees that the tone at a police barracks is going to be rougher around the edges. This also isn't all about just hearing someone swear - it's about having it shouted AT you. I highly doubt the OP would have started the thread had she just overheard the employee say the f-word after dropping her keys.
If you would have used the whole quote, you would have seen the jest of the comment was to act like an adult and go to the person that offended you and speak one-on-one, instead of getting HR and the whole gossip chain going. Chances are they are going to give an apology. I don't know why you have an issue of my referencing my place of employment, others are referring to their agency practices too (hospitals, schools, social workers, etc)

Edited: It's like people can't communicate any more without getting a third party (or a whole discussion board) involved. If I'm offended, I tell the person their actions offended me. If they repeat the actions, then I would start at the bottom of the chain until the issue was resolved. It's called people-skills and maturity.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #123
ariel71
For all my luck, the Google car would drive by right then, and when I want to sell my house next year, all people would see is a yard full of flamingos when they Google the address.

Quote:
If you would have used the whole quote, you would have seen the jest of the comment was to act like an adult and go to the person that offended you and speak one-on-one, instead of getting HR and the whole gossip chain going. Chances are they are going to give an apology. I don't know why you have an issue of my referencing my place of employment, others are referring to their agency practices too (hospitals, schools, social workers, etc)
It's very different to speak one-on-one with someone you know vs someone in a different department who has no relationship to you whatsoever. I outlined my opinion on that in an earlier post so I won't restate it here.

Regarding the place of employment, it relates to context. This happened at a hospital. Hospitals, schools, social work, professional environments, etc. are much more similar in policy and tone. To me, law enforcement is almost the opposite end of the spectrum. I can't imagine someone ever going off on a rant like you mentioned in front of other people on the premises and not facing serious repercussions.

I don't know if I would post on what would be acceptable in a police station by providing examples of my work in a hospital. They're just too different and I would have no idea what the culture and practices are like. And since we're talking about OP actually taking action (not just a general opinion of the matter), I do think an understanding of a hospital environment influences the conversation heavily.

That said, even healthcare companies have different cultures, so it would really depend on OP's specific environment, which we don't know. At this point we're hashing it out amongst ourselves anyway.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #124
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I highly doubt the OP would have started the thread had she just overheard the employee say the f-word after dropping her keys.
You better hurry up and edit your post before it gets deleted for circumventing the DIS filter for not typing ****. It's kind of ironic don't you think, especially considering the subject of this post? My DISboards just went down for about 20 minutes, it's probably because the filtration system is clogged from this thread!!

Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #125
ariel71

Quote:
You better hurry up and edit your post before it gets deleted for circumventing the DIS filter for not typing ****. It's kind of ironic don't you think, especially considering the subject of this post? My DISboards just went down for about 20 minutes, it's probably because the filtration system is clogged from this thread!!
Goodness, I'm going to get myself in trouble for just talking about the thread topic. I don't know what's acceptable at this point.

I hope you realize I mean no disparagement whatsoever about your career; I often think I would have been better suited for law enforcement myself. My comments are only about the uniqueness of the two different environments.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #126
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Goodness, I'm going to get myself in trouble for just talking about the thread topic. I don't know what's acceptable at this point.

I hope you realize I mean no disparagement whatsoever about your career; I often think I would have been better suited for law enforcement myself. My comments are only about the uniqueness of the two different environments.
Totally no prob! If we all thought the same, it'd be an awfully boring world!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #127
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
There's a reason for the phrase "curse like a sailor"....a common thing in military, as well as in law enforcement....guess we should show them the door too?
I never said that. Frankly I don't care if sailors or whoever curse like sailors (as the saying goes) if that's normal in their environment. It isn't normal where I have worked however and would not be tolerated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: