Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #31
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girls4me

I agree.
So what should she have done with the phone?
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #32
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeW

That's odd... I went back and read the OP again and couldn't find any mention of the phone having been found on the floor....

This thread is about the lack of manners and common courtesy that has become far too prevalent in society. Judging from the ridiculous comments I've read here it's seems some people are okay with that. If he had time to reach out his hand and take the phone he had time to say "Thank you".

Here's a tip: People who choose to work in the customer service industry are actually expected to provide some. Accepting "found" items is pretty commonplace for employees who work in venues frequented by the public.
I totally agree. My daughter work in a courtesy booth in a grocery store. Taking found items and keeping them safe is part of her job. I also raised her to say please and thank you.
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #33
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Maybe she should have taken the phone up to the main ticket booth / office area.... The kid serving popcorn might not have been the best option...

But, in the end... no matter what... The people at the counter were just RUDE!

I have to agree with the OP on that much.

You don't just fail to acknowledge a customer... look over at another employee all but rolling your eyes, etc.... you just DON'T.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #34
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

I wonder if the OP said, "Would you PLEASE take this phone I found in the can?", or, just said a simple, "I found this phone in the can."

Because how the OP phrased it makes all the difference in the world, right? Right?
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #35
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I work in customer service and the counter people should have absolutely said thank you. The OP was doing one of their patrons a HUGE favor by turning it in which can only reflect well on the establishment. I think too many people are giving a pass to rude behavior these days. It does not have to become the norm to accept boorish behavior.

I once worked in a business and was the receptionist. I would always be friendly and say hello and good bye and make small talk while the clients were waiting. I was told by the manager and I quote "you know, you don't have to be so nice to them". I was floored. I quit soon after. How could a business tell you NOT to be nice to the clients.

Love this plaque I have hanging in my home....it simply says "because nice matters" and it does.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
Mickeynutty
Mouseketeer

Wow, some of these responses surprise me and I am wondering....

To to OP, which was worse, no thank you when you turned the phone in or several people on the DIS saying no thank you was called for???

Of course you should have been thanked for turning an iPhone in!
Mickeynutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #37
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeynutty View Post
Wow, some of these responses surprise me and I am wondering....

To to OP, which was worse, no thank you when you turned the phone in or several people on the DIS saying no thank you was called for???

Of course you should have been thanked for turning an iPhone in!
I'm just saying she is making too big a deal about it.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #38
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
$7.61

I gotta tell you, I'm pretty hard core on the please and thank you train. If I buy something in a store and I don't get a 'thank you', I will usually respond with a big ole, "No, thank YOU!!!" It drives me absolutely batty when a person waiting on me doesn't even acknowledge me.

In this case though, IF IT WERE ME that found the phone, I would turn it in without expecting anything, it's just one of those good deeds we all do. I would look at it as a good deed to the anonymous phone owner who I will never meet.

If the phone owner were standing there, yes, I'd expect a thank you form him.

I think in this case, the OP just had an expectation that the counter employee would interrupt the person they were waiting on to heap praise on her for....for...for what exactly, I don't know.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #39
FayeW
DIS Veteran

I find it sad that saying "thanks" is now considered "heaping praise".
FayeW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #40
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
$7.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeW View Post
I find it sad that saying "thanks" is now considered "heaping praise".
I would say it's probably an exaggeration to say 'heaping praise' instead of 'thanks', but, I think being sad about it may be going too far.

lol....Just a little humor there.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
Laura66
DIS Veteran

I would have said thank you but it wouldn't have bothered me that he didn't.
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #42
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
So the OP had to wait in a long line JUST to hand over the phone?
The OP doesn't have the wait in the line, but should have the courtesy to wait until the employee finishes helping the customer they are currently with. The employee was disrespectful to the OP, but the OP was also disrespectful to the employee and fellow customers.

If you are going to expect courtesy from others, you should show courtesy yourself.
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #43
Maridw
DisneyMom to Disneylover0105
Love to Dance
Tinkerbell Fan

After reading the OP's post, it sounded like the manager was not busy and could have easily taken care of it without interrupting the other employee.

Recently was in Target and a woman came up to customer service looking for a pair of sunglasses. The employee handed her the glasses and phone that were found together. She did not know she had left her phone with the glasses, but showed that it was her phone by unlocking it. She said thank you to the employees and also said thank you to the person who turned them in.

It doesn't take much to say thank you and too many people are forgetting that. Common courtesy is a rare commodity.

We saw a young man (about 10 yo) jump up to open a door for someone while we were at Firehouse Subs. He was in the middle of eating but put his sandwich down to get the door. That is something that you don't see much of these days.
DL yearly 1969-78, Dec 99, Jul 04, Sept 06, Apr 07 FW 1972 SoG Nov 95, Jun 97, Jul 99, Nov 01 AS Sports Resort - Nov 2000; Apr & Nov 02; Mar & May 03; May & Oct 04, Apr 06 Coronado Springs Resort - Nov 03 Pop Century Mar/Apr, May, & Nov 05, Jan 06, Dec 11, Dec 12 Celebration World Resort Nov/Dec 09

It's A Girl - Natalie Grace! 4 years old now! Our dancing baby!

Maridw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #44
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

That manager obviously had no people skills. However theatres are low pay places and I don't think they really care as long as the work gets done. An indifferent attitude like his can rub off on the whole staff. If he was a caring person, and insisted on a caring attitude from his employees, it would be a whole different place. He sets the tone, good or bad. OP: keep doing good things. I'm almost sure the person who lost the phone was super-glad to get it back.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #45
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I'm just saying she is making too big a deal about it.
How is she making "too big a deal about it"?

She just vented. Nothing more than that. Not like she went screaming throughout the lobby, "NO ONE THANKED ME....BOO HOO!!!".
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: