Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Gift for Christening

I have not been to a christening or baptism in about 30 years. We are going to one next month. I have no idea what kind or amount of gift is appropriate. It used to be savings bonds, but I think they have fallen out of favor over the years. I could certainly give a check, but who would I make it out to? I doubt the baby has an account yet? Or maybe he does? And if I did that, what amount?

Lol, I have always chimed in on the "how much do you give for a wedding gift" threads and am pretty comfortable with that topic and the norms in our area. But I am a fish out of water on this one. Any suggestions of christening gifts in northern NJ?
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

50 dollars should be fine. I would just write a check.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

I usually give a 50.00 check or 50.00 cash.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

$50 check written to parents or $50 cash.

I hate being invited to baptisms if I'm in no way related to the family, am not a godparent, or don't go to the church. In this area (Chicago suburbs) some people are treating a baptism as a second shower and bringing tons of presents. One of my friends literally used her shower list as her baptism invite list.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post

I hate being invited to baptisms if I'm in no way related to the family, am not a godparent, or don't go to the church. In this area (Chicago suburbs) some people are treating a baptism as a second shower and bringing tons of presents. One of my friends literally used her shower list as her baptism invite list.
Well, this is actually my godson's baby. And the parents of my godson were the best man and matron of honor at our wedding. So we have been friends a long time, although we don't see each other frequently now at all. I know there is a "reception(?)" planned for after the ceremony at a restaurant. I have no idea how many people are invited. Hmmmm, I was invited to the bridal shower of the mother of the baby (although I sent a gift, but declined attending) and we did go to their wedding. I hope they didn't use the shower list as the baptism invite list!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post

Well, this is actually my godson's baby. And the parents of my godson were the best man and matron of honor at our wedding. So we have been friends a long time, although we don't see each other frequently now at all. I know there is a "reception(?)" planned for after the ceremony at a restaurant. I have no idea how many people are invited. Hmmmm, I was invited to the bridal shower of the mother of the baby (although I sent a gift, but declined attending) and we did go to their wedding. I hope they didn't use the shower list as the baptism invite list!
In your case I think it's kind of cool that the godmother of the parent can be there to "pass the torch" to the next generation's godparents. That doesn't sound like a ploy to get a gift.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

I like to get something at the St. Patrick's Cathedral shop.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
amg35
DIS Veteran

We always did savings bonds for baptisms. Cash for communions.
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We didn't have parties after our kids' baptisms, but it is traditional to invite close family and friends, who WOULD be the same folks who were invited to the baby shower less than 6 months previous. I don't know about tons of presents - cash/check/bonds are the standard gifts (no one is showing up giving outfits or bottles).

I deposit checks made out to my kids all of the time - you write NAME - minor, and sign your name.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I get the celebrations with close family and friends. But when I say the shower list, I mean Grandparents friends, college roommates you haven't seen in years except for the shower, and work acquaintances. We are talking 50+ people. And in addition to checks there are stacks of clothes and toys. That just seems to be what is expected right now. I'm going to cause a fuss when I only invite the grandparents and godparents to my baby's baptism and too my house for lunch after. But I can't bring myself to throw another gift giving celebration after my bridal shower last year and baby shower this year. People would see my invites and say "we have to spend more money on her?"
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And in addition to checks there are stacks of clothes and toys. That just seems to be what is expected right now."
Wow, not here! People do have big expensive parties at restaurants, but usually because they have big families. I've never witnessed anyone getting clothes or toys for a sacrament (we're Catholic, as are most of our friends).
Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

I have a BUNCH of Confirmation parties we are invited to in May- all my daughters friends who are Catholic are making their Confirmations so I have to have a bunch of envelopes of cash ready. We are going to try to make as many parties as we can but impossible to make them all!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

This family is Italian/Catholic and has a large extended family, many living in that same town. I don't think the restaurant they have chosen is very big, so it will be interesting to see how many people attend. I will definitely stick to a check (don't want to do cash as that can get lost) as opposed to a wrapped gift and just have to decide on the amount.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: