Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
amg35
DIS Veteran

Question Anyone else paying attention to the news about North Korea?

Pretty scary stuff lately. Seems to me it's more than the usual blustering.
I don't worry about U.S. soil being hit, but I do worry about him overstepping or as the news says "making a misstep" with South Korea that would bring on some pretty bad consequences.

I truly think he does not understand what consequences his actions would bring on. When you see him on tv, it's like watching a little boy play war!

A lot of good Dennis Rodman did....
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

I've been waiting for someone to start a threat about this.

I'm not too worried since North Korea has a history of empty threats. If there is any danger at all, it's going to be South Korea that's vulnerable, like you said.

I feel NK is just "Look at us, we're still here! Pay attention to us please!"

ETA: I meant thread, not threat!

Me DM DF DSis DB

Last edited by LongLiveDisney; 03-29-2013 at 10:04 PM.
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
I've been waiting for someone to start a threat about this.

I'm not too worried since North Korea has a history of empty threats. If there is any danger at all, it's going to be South Korea that's vulnerable, like you said.

I feel NK is just "Look at us, we're still here! Pay attention to us please!"
I'm hopefully not starting a panic thread!

I don't feel panicked, it's just the buzz from there is a lot louder lately and it's now becoming the top story I read in the news.

I agree, he's trying to prove himself as a leader and a threat, it's just he's young and may make a stupid, rash decision. That's the concern for me.
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Our two youngest are adopted from South Korea, so I always worry a little for their birth moms and foster parents. I was able to meet the foster Moms for both of my boys and I think about them whenever N Korea acts up.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

If Israel can shoot down rockets from Gaza, im pretty sure the US has a few of those sitting around to deal with N Korea's missiles...
Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

How long do we have to build the bomb shelters? And here I was making fun of friends who are doomsday preppers. Maybe they weren't so foolish after all.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Like Skater's son, my son is adopted from South Korea.

In addition to worrying about his birth and foster families, I worry about backlash. Not Keeping-me-awake-in-the-midlle-of-the-night-worrying, but worry nonetheless. I kind of doubt that the haters will bother to realize that he wouldn't have been adopted from North Korea.

It helps that we're on Long Island, with an incredibly mixed population. I have an old friend who also adopted from Korea, but moved to a part of the country where her son probably stands out a whole lot more than mine. That's a concern.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Not worried I think the US can handle what ever they try and I think South Korea will also fair well in this. As for their leader after seeing him on TV and clips of him interacting and speaking I truly believe he is special needs ! The poor people of North Korea are who I fear for the most in all this because their government sees them as nothing more then collateral damage in all this.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

I reread The Diary of Anne Frank recently, hadnt read it since I was a kid. They have added a lot of content that had previously been omitted, unpublished pages. Then a read a book by Miep Geis, who helped hide the Franks, which was even more interesting. My father in law was in the 101st airborne that helped liberate Holland, he got injured and lost his leg and a Dutch family had to hide him out and care from him, he was only 19 at the time. He stayed close to that family his whole life. So all the stuff that went on in Holland during WW II really hits close to home for us.

All this being said, yes, the news certainly has captured my attention. Only a brief refresher course in recent history shows us, we need to be paying attention, imo.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
DawnM
Dawn

Even if the US itself isn't bombed, our interests overseas are always very vulnerable.

I have been reading and watching closely, I grew up overseas and was evacuated twice in my lifetime and put on high alert other times.

My father was also evacuated as a child (as an American growing up in China) when all Americans were kicked out during WWII.)

I wish I could say I am not worried about being attacked on the mainland of the US, but after Pearl Harbor and 9/11, I am not too sure we couldn't be.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

My parents are a total wreck right now because their exchange student from South Korea (who lived with them 2 years ago) is currently serving his mandatory time in the military. When they took him in (long story, but the family he came to live with changed their minds about having an exchange student after he was here and someone in the community suggested my parents - they had never even considered it), they didn't realize how much they would love him and miss him when he went home.

I think about him and pray for him when I see the news. I pray for everyone in the potential path of this psychopath.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

Yes, I am paying attention to it. NK is being run by a lunatic, and now there are reports that there are back door nuclear tests going on with Iran. Even China is concerned about the behavior of the NK leadership. I guess time will tell just how crazy Kim Jong-un is.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
pogo791
DIS Veteran

Amg35, I agree Kim Jung-un is trying to prove himself as a leader. (Hard to do, since he looks like what he is, a pudgy and whining brat, with almost no experience running anything, let alone a country.) And I agree he is trying to get people to pay attention to him. North Korea has a long, long history of ratcheting up the pressure, making all kinds of threats, and then - like a petulant but very calculating kid - agreeing to sit down to negotiations which result in them getting even more aid from South Korea and other countries.

This time, the threats have gone farther than before. Declaring that there is a state of war is something new. Threating to send missiles not only against South Korea, but also against Hawaii and continental U.S. is new (ludicrous, but new). Yes, it's designed primarily for the domestic market - to strengthen Kim's stature among the public - and it is highly unlikely that he would actually advertise in advance what military steps he intends to take. But it's bad that the threats are escalating so far, so fast.

I've got two worries. First, that it is a smoke screen designed to focus attention elsewhere, and then he pulls a stunt like three years ago, when a South Korean corvette was torpedoed, killing dozens of sailors. At that time, there was no direct proof that North Korea was behind the attack. (Same thing with the recent cyber-attacks against South Korea; it's hard to prove whodunnit.)

The second worry is a bigger one: with all the tension, someone makes a stupid move, leading to soldiers on both sides opening fire. I read recently that North Korea has the capacity to send 500,000 artillery rounds into South Korea in a single hour. Given how close Seoul is to the border, that could get very bloody, very fast. North Korea would lose the war if it comes to that, and Kim Jung-un would be out, but the price would be the life of many, many South Koreans - and supporting American troops.
pogo791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

We are keeping a close eye on it. DS's Tae Kwon Do Master is from S Korea and his family is still there.

Second, he's been planning a trip there this summer to attend the World Tae Kwon Do Cultural Expo with the school's black belts. The kids have really been looking forward to it. As you can imagine, sending my 15yr old (with his dad of course) makes me nervous if this gets more serious.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

A close friend of my daughter is currently teaching in South Korea. We are watching this very closely. When they tell the Americans to leave, I will really be concerned.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: