Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #2071
photos_101
Mouseketeer

Just a quick 'heads up' for you, if you are staying May 8-12. There is a big National school convention going on that week. Shouldn't be a problem as they hold conventions there all the time. But thought I would just let everyone know. Rooms for the schools are being booked at Swan/Dolphin/Yacht club.

If you will be there at that time, I may see you there!
We are booked at POP but will be spending alot of time at s/d for the convention with our DS.
Any excuse I can make for another vacation at Disney, it's a sickness, I tell you.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #2072
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

We did a "stay-cation" here in Nashville a year or so ago and stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Resort. If I recall, both the resort and parking fees were about $18/each (not including tax). Whatever the nightly rate is at the S/D, I just automatically add an additional $30 in my head (and then figure in the 12.5% tax). Depending upon when you're going, it can be cheaper or more expensive than a moderate, but generally speaking, they're about the same. We're going back in November and we'll probably stay at a moderate just to do something different (I like to mix it up), but it's very hard for me not to be in the Epcot resorts area during the summer.

For those of you who have booked recently, I have a question:

I made my reservations by phone back in mid-January (for June). I had to make them through Starwood instead of the S/D because I was using cash & points for the first couple of nights. The next few nights are AAA and I made those at the same time and had the reservations linked. I had to pay a deposit (by phone) for each reservation (so, $60 for the cash/points, and whatever the AAA amount was for the second part). I received the confirmation emails that same day. I have never been charged those deposits on my credit card, though. I emailed Starwood and explained the situation and they assured me that my reservations are there, but some hotels just take longer to process the deposits. I has been 2 months, though. Is that weird or normal?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #2073
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama View Post
We did a "stay-cation" here in Nashville a year or so ago and stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Resort. If I recall, both the resort and parking fees were about $18/each (not including tax). Whatever the nightly rate is at the S/D, I just automatically add an additional $30 in my head (and then figure in the 12.5% tax). Depending upon when you're going, it can be cheaper or more expensive than a moderate, but generally speaking, they're about the same. We're going back in November and we'll probably stay at a moderate just to do something different (I like to mix it up), but it's very hard for me not to be in the Epcot resorts area during the summer.

For those of you who have booked recently, I have a question:

I made my reservations by phone back in mid-January (for June). I had to make them through Starwood instead of the S/D because I was using cash & points for the first couple of nights. The next few nights are AAA and I made those at the same time and had the reservations linked. I had to pay a deposit (by phone) for each reservation (so, $60 for the cash/points, and whatever the AAA amount was for the second part). I received the confirmation emails that same day. I have never been charged those deposits on my credit card, though. I emailed Starwood and explained the situation and they assured me that my reservations are there, but some hotels just take longer to process the deposits. I has been 2 months, though. Is that weird or normal?
I also have 2 Swan stays booked on Cash & Points. They show up on my spg account and I have also received email confirmations from the Swan. No deposit, but the points came out of my account immediately.

I did Cash & Points several years ago at Dolphin and no cash deposit was required - but again the points were taken immediately. (I figure that's our deposit! )

And come to think of it, I have also done several other cash & points stays at various Sheratons and Westins -- the cash wasn't charged until check-in.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #2074
vicb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicb View Post
We are planning/hoping to stay at Dolphin the first week of May 2014 (so a little more than a year away). When can I expect to see deals on rooms on the S/D website? Right now the rates are higher than I paid for Easter week 2012. That trip was planned much closer to when the actual trip was and the lower rates were already posted.

This trip will be to celebrate DD's college graduation so we are very excited!! Have never been in May. Stayed just once at Dolphin and the "kids" were not with us so they have never stayed but I know they will love it.

Thanks for any tips on when to look for room rate deals>

Anyone??
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #2075
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
I also have 2 Swan stays booked on Cash & Points. They show up on my spg account and I have also received email confirmations from the Swan. No deposit, but the points came out of my account immediately.

I did Cash & Points several years ago at Dolphin and no cash deposit was required - but again the points were taken immediately. (I figure that's our deposit! )

And come to think of it, I have also done several other cash & points stays at various Sheratons and Westins -- the cash wasn't charged until check-in.
When I made my reservations, the guy seemed to think at first that I would only need to make a deposit on the AAA nights, but then he said, "Oh, it looks like they're going to want $60 + tax for the C&P nights, too." On the email confirmation I received, it made it sound like it was going to charge the deposit, as well (like you said, the points have already been taken from my account). That aside, though, it still doesn't make sense that my credit card still hasn't been charged for the AAA nights. So odd. If it's not on my next credit card statement, I may call back. They're right there when I plug in my reservation, but it still makes me nervous for some reason (plus, I want to pay ahead on some of this!).

Quote:
Anyone??
I think the soonest you'll probably see lower rates for next May will be around September (I have seen them that early for June). BUT, this year, it took until January for the rates to drop considerably -- so you may be looking at the first of year to see really good rates for next May -- start checking in September, though!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #2076
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
When I made my reservations, the guy seemed to think at first that I would only need to make a deposit on the AAA nights, but then he said, "Oh, it looks like they're going to want $60 + tax for the C&P nights, too." On the email confirmation I received, it made it sound like it was going to charge the deposit, as well (like you said, the points have already been taken from my account). That aside, though, it still doesn't make sense that my credit card still hasn't been charged for the AAA nights. So odd. If it's not on my next credit card statement, I may call back. They're right there when I plug in my reservation, but it still makes me nervous for some reason (plus, I want to pay ahead on some of this!).
The last online reservation I made (AAA rate), the deposit wasn't charged - even though the confirmation showed it would be charged. After about a month, I got nervous that my reservation would end of being canceled. I pulled up the reservation on the SPG site, clicked on the link to "make changes" to the reservation - didn't make any changes, just hit "save changes". That did the trick! Within a day, the deposit showed as "pending" on my Amex and came through a day or 2 after that! It's for my upcoming trip the end of April. (I also have no idea why the deposit wasn't charged. )

Maybe try that to see if it might trigger the deposit being charged.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #2077
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The last online reservation I made (AAA rate), the deposit wasn't charged - even though the confirmation showed it would be charged. After about a month, I got nervous that my reservation would end of being canceled. I pulled up the reservation on the SPG site, clicked on the link to "make changes" to the reservation - didn't make any changes, just hit "save changes". That did the trick! Within a day, the deposit showed as "pending" on my Amex and came through a day or 2 after that! It's for my upcoming trip the end of April. (I also have no idea why the deposit wasn't charged. )

Maybe try that to see if it might trigger the deposit being charged.
OK, gave it try -- we'll see if it works - thanks!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #2078
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
OK, gave it try -- we'll see if it works - thanks!
Let us know, OK?!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #2079
ahutton
WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996

We were at a neighboring resort a few weeks back and when I ordered from Garden Grocer the website indicated they were unable to deliver to Swan/Dolphin. The Hess station across the street has very reasonable prices on many things, and the Screen Door at Boardwalk had a decent selection too.

Proud Second Generation SwanDolphin Cheerleader
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #2080
vicb
DIS Veteran

I think the soonest you'll probably see lower rates for next May will be around September (I have seen them that early for June). BUT, this year, it took until January for the rates to drop considerably -- so you may be looking at the first of year to see really good rates for next May -- start checking in September, though![/QUOTE]

Thank you. I've only stayed there once and it was planned with a much shorter time frame so wasn't sure what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahutton View Post
We were at a neighboring resort a few weeks back and when I ordered from Garden Grocer the website indicated they were unable to deliver to Swan/Dolphin. The Hess station across the street has very reasonable prices on many things, and the Screen Door at Boardwalk had a decent selection too.
Last trip when we stayed at Dolphin, our flight came in very late and our towncar driver could not find an open grocery store for us (we tried 2) so we settled for the Hess and it was still a good deal compared to in park or resort prices. We bought water bottles by the case, yogurts, cookies, pretzels and donuts.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #2081
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anyone??
I booked my May 2013 Dolphin trip last November with the AAA discount, which was better than the nurse's discount. I kept checking back on the prices, and saw a drop around January (maybe?). Changed to that rate, and kept checking. Another price drop maybe a month after that, which I changed to. I kept checking and saw that the prices ticked up a couple of weeks back. The AAA discount was consistently better than the nurse discount during this time.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #2082
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
I booked my May 2013 Dolphin trip last November with the AAA discount, which was better than the nurse's discount. I kept checking back on the prices, and saw a drop around January (maybe?). Changed to that rate, and kept checking. Another price drop maybe a month after that, which I changed to. I kept checking and saw that the prices ticked up a couple of weeks back. The AAA discount was consistently better than the nurse discount during this time.
I noticed that trend too, with the Teacher Discount. Recently, AAA was always equal to, and many times lower than, the Teacher rate. However, yesterday I was checking rates for our early November trip and was surprised to find the Teacher rate was lower than AAA! I booked the room and will keep watching to see if AAA comes down.

My early May reservation, booked many months ago on AAA rate, never dropped any lower, but is now $32/night more!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #2083
vicb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
I noticed that trend too, with the Teacher Discount. Recently, AAA was always equal to, and many times lower than, the Teacher rate. However, yesterday I was checking rates for our early November trip and was surprised to find the Teacher rate was lower than AAA! I booked the room and will keep watching to see if AAA comes down.

My early May reservation, booked many months ago on AAA rate, never dropped any lower, but is now $32/night more!

Thank you both for that info! Would either of you mind sharing what your room rate is/was for your May trips? I only know what I paid for Easter week last year and I'm hoping May will be less since I will need two rooms for that trip. Right now the website shows no AAA rooms available but I'm thinking the discounts just are not loaded into the machine this early.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #2084
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you both for that info! Would either of you mind sharing what your room rate is/was for your May trips? I only know what I paid for Easter week last year and I'm hoping May will be less since I will need two rooms for that trip. Right now the website shows no AAA rooms available but I'm thinking the discounts just are not loaded into the machine this early.
I am paying $151 per night (without fees, taxes etc.) for May 1-8. I'm also getting a $50 resort credit to use because it was for at least five nights. I think that AAA discount is now up to $167 if I'm remembering correctly. The nurse discount was $169 per night at the lowest point (again, if my memory serves, which is sometimes a little iffy).

RachelTori, I used the nurse discount at the Swan last June because it was a better rate than AAA. Actually, the Swan was a better rate than the Dolphin at that time as well. You just never know...

Last edited by patty57; 03-30-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #2085
vicb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am paying $151 per night (without fees, taxes etc.) for May 1-8. I'm also getting a $50 resort credit to use because it was for at least five nights. I think that AAA discount is now up to $167 if I'm remembering correctly. The nurse discount was $169 per night at the lowest point (again, if my memory serves, which is sometimes a little iffy).

RachelTori, I used the nurse discount at the Swan last June because it was a better rate than AAA. Actually, the Swan was a better rate than the Dolphin at that time as well. You just never know...
I would love to have that rate or something close next May too! Thanks. I'm pretty sure I paid around $250 pernight plus resort fee at Easter last year which was still a massive bargain over any of the Epcot Disney resorts. I hope your May trip is lots of fun this year!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: