Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I would go with SWA.
You can book you AirTran flights on SWA out of Detroit and use the SWA points to pay for the tickets.

No bag fees
If the flight price goes down you can get a refund in the form of a travel voucher or have your points restored and you don't have to pay a change fee to do this!!!

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
bronwyn
Mouseketeer

I would also go with Southwest, but would probably hold off and see if the 50,000 bonus comes back. That's a great deal IMO. Last year, we used it for 3 round trip flights (off peak times). Right now you can book some of the Airtran flights on the Southwest website out of Detroit. I would think that in the future it will only get better as the two finish merging. Southwest also has direct flights from Flint if that is convenient. Can't beat the free luggage and love that I can rebook if the prices go down!

It really bothers me that Spirit charges for checking luggage and carry ons. I know many airlines do but once you add in these fees sometimes it's not really a savings.

My 2nd choice would be Delta for convenience and that you can use a combination of miles and $s. I really like that feature.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
tmmalave
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyomagi View Post
I am debating between Airtran and Spirit.

We flew spirit and the flight was great, to florida was early and we landed 45minutes sooner than expected.

The Flight back was late 15 minutes but actually landed on time.

Airtran we have not flown in 2 years, but the exp was fine too.

Here are the main differences

Airtran card: 32 credits when you spend 2k in 3 months. Kind of hard for me to do as i normally pay cash.

32 credits for 2 round trip flights, can be used any time except a few black out dates
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Spirit card: 15k miles when we spend $5, have to use the card every month to keep rewards

15K miles = 3 round trip flights during off peak times (Jan - june 1, september)

Which is fine since we are planning on going back next may

Baggage is cheaper by $10 on airtran.

Have to book 180 days in advance to have 0 fees. which is also fine since i booked the trip we just came back from in august.

i am leaning toward spirit, but airtran is not far behind

Why not get the Disney Rewards Visa Premier. It has a 49.00 fee. 1% back on almost everything, 2% on groceries, gas, and Disney purchases (store, vacation, DCL). You can use the points towards the purchase of airline tickets. You purchase the tickets with the Visa card, and the.n request your accumulated points be applied towards the purchase. The nice things are that you are not restricted to an airline, and that you do not have to have all the points. For example, if your tickets are 800.00 and you only have 600.00, than you can use the 600.00 towards the tickets, and pay the difference! We did this for the first time in December, and they credited our account in a few business days, and we were able to purchase 4 JetBlue tickets entirely with our rewards.
tmmalave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
kyomagi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmalave View Post
Why not get the Disney Rewards Visa Premier. It has a 49.00 fee. 1% back on almost everything, 2% on groceries, gas, and Disney purchases (store, vacation, DCL). You can use the points towards the purchase of airline tickets. You purchase the tickets with the Visa card, and the.n request your accumulated points be applied towards the purchase. The nice things are that you are not restricted to an airline, and that you do not have to have all the points. For example, if your tickets are 800.00 and you only have 600.00, than you can use the 600.00 towards the tickets, and pay the difference! We did this for the first time in December, and they credited our account in a few business days, and we were able to purchase 4 JetBlue tickets entirely with our rewards.
actually have a disney card lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: