Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I also have worked in the hotel industry and it's no skin off the front desk clerk's nose where the guest booked. The hotel manager might care since web sites like Orbitz and Expedia get a kick back, but it's certainly beyond the front desk employees' pay grades to think/worry about that. No money out of their paycheck!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
Finally we were checked in to a club level room at YC. The entire process ate up 3 hours on the start of our vacation.

I don't blame WDW;
don't count on it - used dvc points to stay at Yc - ONCE - they told me did not have a room. they refused to contact DVC - so I did. DVC called them - since the cm would not talk to them on my phone.

It took w/DVC help about 45 minutes to fix it.

really think it is YC with the problem.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
I rarely find tripadvisor helpful or accurate. That said, where is it noted in the "review" that the unhappy tourists paid for a water view room, but were denied it?
Ooh, good call. "Wanted" is not the same as "booked and paid for".

DH books through hotels.com all the time, and a few times he's been given a subpar room. but most of the time those rooms have something actually wrong with them (a/c being broken in summer, for instance), to the point where he has to move, and they've always moved him. It's like they try to do something but quickly reverse it.

That has never happened with Disney, though.

But at least with hotels.com, it comes by FAX. They couldn't find our reservation at an offsite Disneyland hotel once, and then remembered that they hadn't checked their fax machine yet. Went there, found it. Still couldn't get us checked in because hotels just gets ONE name, and that name wasn't mine. FIRST time EVER that's happened (all other hotels have dealt with it just fine), so I had to contact DH (who was traveling separately), he had to contact hotels, they had to send another fax to change the reservation name, and THEN I got into our room, LOL.

But I digress. I can't remember who hotels is linked up with, but it's one of the bigger named ones, and if hotels has to fax the others might have to fax, too. And then if it's taken from fax to computer, there's more than a couple steps in there for human error to step in.....

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
The review may have been correct.

I once booked a club level room through Expedia for YC. When we got to YC, they had our reservation in the system as a regular room. I had my printout from Expedia showing that it was a club level room. However, what Expedia had transmitted to Disney was a regular room.

I was getting nowhere with the front desk staff at YC. I asked for a manager. The manager told me that they couldn't do anything; I had to resolve it with Expedia.

I got on the phone with Expedia and they said they would get it fixed. The YC Manager then asked if I wanted to be moved to BC club level because they didn't have any club level rooms available. I said no, I don't like BC club level (which I don't).

Finally we were checked in to a club level room at YC. The entire process ate up 3 hours on the start of our vacation.

I don't blame WDW; Expedia made the error. Still, it was frustrating and I will not book through them again. The little bit of money I saved wasn't worth the hassle it took to get what I paid for.
Ehhh. I've booked through Disney and had them tell me I had only booked a standard room when I had booked a preferred room. Mix ups sometimes happen.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
I rarely find tripadvisor helpful or accurate. That said, where is it noted in the "review" that the unhappy tourists paid for a water view room, but were denied it?
If they had paid for a water view, and it was unavailable, Disney would have refunded them the difference, whether they booked from a net travel site, Travel Agency, or Disney directly.

Unlike the trip advisor "expert", I have stayed at BWI more than a few times. I have nearly always had a boardwalk view. It's not noisy "into the wee hours."

BWI is a lovely resort. If you want a water view, it's a bookable category.

I take issue with the comment about finding trip advisor unhelpful or inaccurate. Of course, that is your opinion. But, I post a lot on trip advisor and I like to follow and post on the dis. Trip advisor reviewers are not exclusively bound to only post on the TA site. I've read outrageous posts here on the dis but common sense should prevail. Any public forum will have a wide variety of opinions and people who just like to stir the pot (on trip advisor and the dis)

I've gotten a lot of helpful information on the dis but I have to admit some of the posts here are like watching a train wreck. You don't want to look but sometimes can't help yourself
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

I booked a standard room at the Poly through Orbitz a couple of years ago. Actually, this was when Orbitz had made a mistake on the pricing and I was able to get the room for around $140 a night.

When we arrived, I was not happy with our room assignment since I like a quiet location and we were assigned a room right in front of the elevator. After about 20 minutes I called the front desk and asked if we could be moved to a quieter location. They were so nice and accomodating and even upgraded us to a water view room. BTW, this was during value season so I'm guessing the resort had some flexibility and we did not ask for the room upgrade.

So my experience is just the opposite of the review you read. I really don't think it matters where or how you book your vacation just the availability of rooms and the willingness of the CM to be helpful.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
don't count on it - used dvc points to stay at Yc - ONCE - they told me did not have a room. they refused to contact DVC - so I did. DVC called them - since the cm would not talk to them on my phone.

It took w/DVC help about 45 minutes to fix it.

really think it is YC with the problem

I think you're right. A few years ago, I booked a suite at the YC. One reason being expedited check in because it was Easter Week. We arrived and there was no one there to greet us and show us to the club level check in. I asked a few CMs and got no help at all. After waiting in the regular check in line for 30 minutes, I was told that I had gotten in the wrong line. I told the CM that I was not going to a different check in because by this time we had been waiting an hour. They called and someone finally came to show us the proper place. No apology -bupkis.

Adding that we have booked through expedia before for CR and we were treated fine.
It was our first and probably last trip. I expected more from one of Disney's top resorts.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken View Post
I booked through Orbitz for our upcoming trip and then read this review on trip advisor...

Beautiful place... Great views. But... Be aware if you don't book directly with the hotel you will not get treated as well!! We had 2 rooms and one was for 1 night, the other for 3 night. We wanted the water view for the three nights but the desk clerk called someplace and found we had booked thru Orbitz instead of thru Disney and they then wouldn't give us the water view room!! Shocking after we are already checked into it and moved in.

The hotel is beautiful ,otherwise.... And ya know, come to find out ,the water view rooms are very noisy with all the boardwalk people partying into the wee hours outside your windows:-)

Luckily, my BWI is still through Disney but my POR one is through Orbitz. Glad I stuck with Disney for the BWI. Hope I get a nice room~~
A few thoughts.....
1. Doesn't matter who you booked with. Disney doesn't care. BUT...if you booked through a travel agent or middle man, such as Orbitz, they pretty much own the reservation, and they have to fix it if something goes wrong when you are checking in. And they pretty much don't much care. This is why I don't recommend booking through a middle man.

2. I have had those desired boardwalk/lake views. They aren't all that noisy. Keep your door closed and it is quiet. At night? Pull the heavy drapes closed and it's even quieter!!! Have yet to have a noisy stay on that side of the resort.

3. If it was, in fact, a mess up on Orbitz's side, then they would be the ones to fix it. Disney wasn't under any obligation to fix someone else's mess up. Could they have? Possibly. Perhaps there was only one night that had a water view room open. It's obvious that there were two reservations...one for one night, the second for mulitple nights. And BWI didn't have any open water view rooms for those multiple nights. Happens all the time. So, perhaps that person got lucky and was able to have a water view room for one night and figured they could just stay in it for the addtl nights, but that's not how it works.
Disney did nothing wrong.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
QueenQueso
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
A few thoughts.....
1. Doesn't matter who you booked with. Disney doesn't care. BUT...if you booked through a travel agent or middle man, such as Orbitz, they pretty much own the reservation, and they have to fix it if something goes wrong when you are checking in. And they pretty much don't much care. This is why I don't recommend booking through a middle man.
This, exactly! I will use a travel agent for some things, but I will never use anything like orbitz/hotwire/etc. after having worked as an airline reservationist for a short while. I can't tell you how many calls I took from people who booked through a discount service and then missed their flight or wanted a change of some kind... and the airline CAN'T do ANYTHING with it. All we could do is refer them back to whoever they booked with to make a change through them, and a couple times the other places flat refused to help. I *think* it might have been hotwire (I can't remember for sure now) but they don't allow any changes/cancellations/refunds period. If you miss your flight or someone dies and you have to cancel, you are SOL, totally out whatever you paid for the ticket. I might spend $50 more booking straight through the airline, but if I have to cancel, at lease I get a credit for my full amount...

But as for the OP, I feel like there was a booking error that the reviewer didn't understand. The hotel doesn't care how they received the money for the room, just that it got paid for. So what others suggested, maybe they booked the 1 night WV and not the 3, sounds likely. I saw that one poster was offended by someone saying they don't believe trip advisor, but I feel the same way. I read tons of reviews on a bunch of sites before I book a trip somewhere, and I notice that a lot of them on the discount sites seem to be copy/paste of other reviews, or just totally, 100% inaccurate. I booked a B&B in New Orleans a couple years back and it had three totally awful anonymous reviews right in a row, like a week apart. I'm pretty sure that it was the same person posting all three because when I got there, it was NOTHING like the review posted. Plus, people are much more likely to post a complaint than they are to post a praise.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #25
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post

2. I have had those desired boardwalk/lake views. They aren't all that noisy. Keep your door closed and it is quiet. At night? Pull the heavy drapes closed and it's even quieter!!! Have yet to have a noisy stay on that side of the resort.
I think people who report Boardwalk views as noisy are remember something from many years ago. We are owners at BWV and have stayed dozens of times there. In the first few years they held a street party outside Atlantic Dance with a DJ and loud music that went til 2AM. It was loud, loud, loud and we could not sleep until 2am. We complained every day but they could not move us. Awful. We've never requested a boardwalk view since even though we know it is not that noisy any longer. What activity there is on the boardwalk is not nearly that loud now and it all wraps up by 11pm.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
I take issue with the comment about finding trip advisor unhelpful or inaccurate. Of course, that is your opinion. But, I post a lot on trip advisor and I like to follow and post on the dis. Trip advisor reviewers are not exclusively bound to only post on the TA site. I've read outrageous posts here on the dis but common sense should prevail. Any public forum will have a wide variety of opinions and people who just like to stir the pot (on trip advisor and the dis)

I've gotten a lot of helpful information on the dis but I have to admit some of the posts here are like watching a train wreck. You don't want to look but sometimes can't help yourself
Trip advisor "advice" is not particularly helpful in my experience or opinion.
Certainly folks that find it helpful, will use it.

And I agree about the train wreck. This whole thread was the result of an import of a "review" from trip advisor written by someone with a grand total total of two reviews--both negative. I understand the draw of a water view, but I would never expect Disney to gift it to me.

TY Kook!
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #27
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post

I also post reviews on Trip Advisor- but I am the first to admit that when I am scanning reviews of hotels for an upcoming stay I always take them with a grain (or 2 or 3) of salt. There is a lot of inaccurate information in some of them, and some of the complaints are really ridiculous. But they are, when all is said and done, only individual opinions written by non-professional reviewers.

Yes, the Dis has some outrageous posts and train wrecks. But when something is posted that seems really out there or off the wall, they are immediately called on it. By multiple Disers. You don't often see that happen on trip advisor.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I also post reviews on Trip Advisor- but I am the first to admit that when I am scanning reviews of hotels for an upcoming stay I always take them with a grain (or 2 or 3) of salt. There is a lot of inaccurate information in some of them, and some of the complaints are really ridiculous. But they are, when all is said and done, only individual opinions written by non-professional reviewers.
And I watch tripadvisor reviews. But I check some of the glowing ones and some of the burning ones and see WHY they give it that score...
Some people will complain about the location! Then do your research, not give a bad review. These reviews I don't count, sorry.

But a moderate review because the bar out front is an open one and can get loud does matter in my choices.

Same with reviews and opinions here about Disneyworld and it's hotels and restauarants: is what people have to say at all fair and is it relevant to my priorities and choices?
I mean : no childcare isn't relevant to me, but choice in restaurants is.
Specific complaints may be of influence, but a general complaint: the hotel was horrible and staf were unkind won't. Those probably say more about the reviewer......
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #29
gogo
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to mention that if wanting a lot of information regarding Disney, then the Dis is the best. I would refer anyone wanting information galore regarding Disney to visit this site.

But, I do travel to other destinations so the Dis is of no use in that regard. I rely heavily on TA when travelling beyond the World and it has never steered me wrong. Again, just like here, you have to read a significant amount of reviews and then use common sense. If a poster has only a few posts and writes a horrible review while the majority of others are glowing, that's not a hard one to figure out.

IMO, TA and the Dis are very valuable resourses for travellers. But, they are very different and it is apparent that a lot of reviews on TA regarding Disney really irk some dissers.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #30
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

I dont get the reason why people use company's like Orbitz. I just went on their website and Disney's and they were more expensive.

Orbitz gave me this
Quote:
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside Rooms & Rates
Selected room
($222.01 per night)
Continue booking
FREE Cancellation
Price Assurance
Standard View
Actual nightly rates
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
Week 1 $217.35 $217.35 $217.35 $217.35 $217.35 $225.33 $225.33
Week 2 $225.33 $225.33 $225.33 $225.33 $225.33
$10.80 more
($232.81 per night)
Choose this room
FREE Cancellation
Price Assurance
Garden View
$25.75 more
($247.76 per night)

Hotel (12 nights)
4 guests
$222.01 avg/night
$2,664.06
Price Assurance
FREE
Taxes and fees
$360.48
Total due at booking
$3,024.54

Disney was 188 for the first 5 nights and 196 for the next 7. Total price being 2601.00
So what am I missing.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: