Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #151
mom24cuties
Earning My Ears

trip report

We were also on this cruise and I love spotting my tall husband in the background of your photos. Thanks for your report!
mom24cuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #152
Grooovertoo
DIS Dad #572

Are we still stuck in the canal?
DisDAD Member #572 Dave Darla & Dana (8)
Grooovertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #153
MPS516
Disney #2 Fan

You don't suppose DisneyZell went on another trip and left us hanging here in the Canal
GOLF: Palm, Magnolia, Lake Buena Vista, Oak Trail

MPS516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #154
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Wow, I loved seeing the photos of the ship going through the canal

I knew it was a tight squeeze but not that tight!

I feel sorry for the "driver" when he or she heard that scrape along the side
I know, right? can you imagine standing next to the captain...uh...that's just normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
I remember going to see Captain Puckett on the 2011 WBPC. Someone asked him about damage. He said when dealing with Panamax ships, the ship company agrees to a certain amount of damage. What that is, he said did not know. Now that one scrape I am sure was not covered. That one looked bad.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
No idea..but yeah that one was pretty bad. And again being able to see us hit the side was a pretty interesting experience that you don't get often. We came close a few other times but I only saw us hit the once on that side (maybe we hit the other side, who knows!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton View Post
Thanks for coming back to the canal!

Just sitting here in San Diego, living vicariously through your TR, 'til we leave for the WBPC in May.

Completely off topic...We recently moved here from Mid-Coast Maine, nice to see another couple representing New England on Funnel Vision
Welcome! and sorry as you see I do leave people hanging from time to time. and yes, of course we had to represent our Patriots. Unfortunately they decided to not show up in the first half of this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnydaddy View Post
Hi Zell, just subscribing as I'm planning to also be on the 2014 WBPC.

Nicely written. I'm enjoying your report.
thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom24cuties View Post
We were also on this cruise and I love spotting my tall husband in the background of your photos. Thanks for your report!
Which one??? I have seen myself once in a photo in someone else's report. pretty funny when that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooovertoo View Post
Are we still stuck in the canal?
having trouble getting out of the other side of the locks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPS516 View Post
You don't suppose DisneyZell went on another trip and left us hanging here in the Canal
Ah I wish! No, life has just gotten in the way!

Sorry about that folks, next chapters coming up!

DZ
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #155
DisneyZell

Chapter 13...and maybe 14...and maybe 15

Again I apologize for the amount of time that has passed since my last chapter. Unfortunately life does get in the way and my typing time suffers! Yikes!

So back on the ship...we made it through the canal....but unfortunately DW is down for the count. She got walloped by something...headache, not feeling well in general. To be honest I wasn't feeling 100%...which I cannot tell if it was sympathy sickness (yeah...If you have not figured it out I'm kinda loony like that. If I know someone is not feeling well I will frequently end up feeling the same way. It's annoying as all get-out! ) or really sick.

So while we pulled into Cartagena (now Tuesday, December 18th), we didn't make it off the ship.

We did get a photo of me though. This was an interesting port as obviously they don't get alot of cruise ships...just alot of merchandise. So the port was not the nicest of places to be docked!

You could, however, see the city.

We did make it up to the pool for a little bit, DW tried to eat. I didn't have the non-eating issue. But for the most part it was hanging around in the room relaxing. I think I took 3 naps...which is why I think I did have a little bit of what DW had...as I don't normally do that. I'm lucky to take one nap a year!.

Tonight we were supposed to do Palo...but obviously with DW not feeling well that wasn't going to happen. So I cancelled that. They were very nice about it and offered to reschedule. As I had no idea if/when DW would feel better I declined. And you know what? I'm actually ok with that. I prefer Brunch anyway.

It was pirate night...but DW was still unable to come down to Dinner. I went down on my own though...everyone was very worried about DW. The food at dinner was the same...just ok like it had been. So I guess there is a consistency thing going on!

After dinner we both went to see Wreck-It-Ralph in the Walt Disney Theater. I really enjoyed this moving, DW thought it was pretty good. Kind of weird to be going to a cartoon movie without kids. yikes...we have become *those* Disney people!

After the movie we headed up to Deck 10 to watch the fireworks and a bit of the show.

As usual it was packed. I've seen this show alot...so no surprises there.

Cool shot of the funnel at night...

Mickey flying through the air!

It is hard to get pictures of fireworks...but I got a few..

and another one...

Then it was time for the Pirate Buffet. We figured we would go and see if anything looked interesting to DW.

Cool decorations

And fruit art

We got a turkey leg. yes I am a good looking guy while eating my big slab of turkey!

DW also picked up some nachos so she did end up eating a little bit. Neither of us got desert which is unusual...so clearly I was a little sick. Of course some say I'm very sick in the head which is a whole other issue.

That was it for the day...kind of boring I realize...but more to come soon. I leave you with a monkey...

Thanks for sticking around!

DZ
Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #156
DisneyZell

Chapter 14, another day at sea

This is getting redundant! I love days at sea...but from a TR perspective there just isn't much to tell so you get a bonus episode for today. Yes, yes, I am extremely nice, and incredibly close. Wait...no that's not it...ahem. Anyhooo...

DW still was crushed by whatever it was she had...so it was another day in bed reading and watching movies on the TV for her. For me I wandered the ship a bit, feeling better overall. Did some sitting on the comfy chairs by Cove Cafe...but the highlight of the day was a Magic Workshop with Scott Pepper. Zach and I went to that...and boy was that fun.

First we showed up with nothing when apparently we were supposed to have a deck of cards. I would guess this was written somewhere and that I just missed it...as that would be about standard for me. Luckily Zach had a couple of decks of cards back in his room so he dashed up to get them (I would dash but I'm getting old. He is 18, so very much still able to dash. If I dash I might break a hip.

This was one of my favorite things on the ship. Zach and I really enjoyed watching Scott do some more magic and teach us a few tricks to use on others. I have since dazzled and amazed many people with my tricks....cool stuff. I can't share with you the tricks as that would be breaking the magician's code. No...no...no, but again it was neat...except when you show skeptical people. what is wrong with you people that you have to question everything????

Scott Pepper showing us some tricks

Scott and Zach

DW made it to dinner though she still couldn't eat much. At least we were getting back to a bit of a normal routine, and it was good to see DW up and about. Don't get me wrong, I can certainly exist on my own, but everything is more fun when we are together...vs. going our own way. So it's like not having your right leg with you while you are walking...er....hopping along. You can get along without it but you'd rather not.

After dinner we changed and headed to the Walt Disney Theater to see the Crew talent show. While the show was ok....it felt very much to us like they were just trying to fill the time. They were too cheap to bring on additional entertainment so they needed to do something. I know some of the crew members worked very hard on their performances so I'm not trying to bring them down...but that is what it felt like.

Then it was off to bed for the sick woman and me...

maybe a turtle?

DZ
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #157
Kirbo
Whovian

Thank you for the updates!

I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. DZ being sick, but glad that she seems to be on the mend in the last update.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #158
jstkpswimming
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the update, DisneyZell!

I can't believe my PC cruise is only 32 days away! My, how time flies! Hopefully my time on the cruise won't fly by quite as fast...

jstkpswimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #159
Grooovertoo
DIS Dad #572

Cool update! I can imagine this long of a cruise can start to ware on one after a bit. Too bad DW got sick, that is no fun at all.
DisDAD Member #572 Dave Darla & Dana (8)
Grooovertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #160
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Is it "wrong" to see an animated movie without children? One could say the same about a Disney cruise without kids! the western view of animation is that it is just for kids, while the rest of the world sees it as just another art form. Sorry, I'm sure you meant your comment to be lighthearted but it came across as a bit rude toward anyone who enjoys the art regardless of age.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #161
kbishop2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
Is it "wrong" to see an animated movie without children? One could say the same about a Disney cruise without kids! the western view of animation is that it is just for kids, while the rest of the world sees it as just another art form. Sorry, I'm sure you meant your comment to be lighthearted but it came across as a bit rude toward anyone who enjoys the art regardless of age.
I just took it as a way of expressing humor. I have a bit of a Sarcastic sense of humor and it can come off wrong.
kbishop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #162
DisneyZell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post

Thank you for the updates!

I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. DZ being sick, but glad that she seems to be on the mend in the last update.

I know...not very fun for her. But take heart, she does get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstkpswimming View Post
Thanks for the update, DisneyZell!

I can't believe my PC cruise is only 32 days away! My, how time flies! Hopefully my time on the cruise won't fly by quite as fast...
I'm very excited for you. And Jealous!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooovertoo View Post
Cool update! I can imagine this long of a cruise can start to ware on one after a bit. Too bad DW got sick, that is no fun at all.
To be honest it didn't wear on my. Obviously that wasn't fun...and yes by the end we were ready to go home...but 5-6 more days would have been welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
I don't even remember the comment, maybe I'm getting old. I have no problem going to a cartoon movie (or *ahem* animated feature). AS obviously we don't have an issue going on the Disney Cruise without kids. I do have to say it was quite enjoyable going as an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishop2013 View Post
I just took it as a way of expressing humor. I have a bit of a Sarcastic sense of humor and it can come off wrong.
Right on...I'm all about sarcasm. I hear someone say the other day they should invent a sarcasm font. That would make it easier for all of us!

DZ
Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #163
DisneyZell

Chapter 16? I have no idea anymore

"When Trip Reports Attack" could be what is happening here. You reach a point when so much time has passed, etc. scary

Anyhoooo...today is December 20th...Dw is on the mend...and she even got up early and went up to breakfast without me. Mean, huh? Leaving me hanging on my own. Well, ok, I do love sleep so I guess she wasn't all that mean to me at all.

We had wanted to go watch Monsters Inc 3d...and that was at 9am. I finally rolled out of bed shortly before that...no time for breakfast, but there is time to bring Milk Duds to the theater. So I grabbed them and headed down. Found DW already settled in and watched. Monsters Inc is a very good movie...so it was enjoyable in 3d. Not sure that the 3d did anything for it...but it was good nontheless. It does annoy me all the movie companies re-releasing in 3d. Come on....can you get any more cheap? Why create a new movie when you can rehash an old one. But I digress.

After that we went up and sat in the sun for a while and had lunch. Somewhere along the way we ran into Zack.

Zach and I hanging out.

DW and I with the mermaid

After that it was time for our Mixology class. you all had to live through me whining and complaining about the wine tasting and how it was barely a full glass of wine. This class made up for it and then some. These were some serious drinks!

Our set of drinks

Our presenter was Jesus..and he did a terrific job talking about what mixers go with what alcohol, and things such as that. We had 5 drinks to learn about:
1. Melon Ball - Yum
2. Blue Hawaiian - Yum
3. Cosmopolitan - yuck, I'm not a big fan. Oh I drank it...but not a big fan.
4. Jesus Punch - YUM...Jesus made this one up. fresh rasberries and blackberries, muddled on the bottom, Malibu rum, bacardi white rum, peach schnapps, and cranberry juice. good stuff. He said that he always gets in trouble after the classes because no one knows how to make his concoctions...but everyone asks for them after the classes. Nice!
5. B-52

DW does not like coffee flavor at all..which is the base for the B-52. While I do not drink or enjoy hot coffee..for some reason iced coffee, or other coffee flavors I do like. I am pretty sure I'm insane.

Jesus made another special drink at someone's request so DW got that...and then we all got another shot at the end. Needless to say we were schnockered. And that is the technical term for it. Feeling no pain at all. I'm surprised DW could even walk since she had not eaten much for a few days. Then again maybe she should have had mixology earlier and it would have killed whatever was in her stomach!

DW getting ready to drink

Here I am getting ready to drink!

And drinking...

Dead soldiers!

After drinking we went back to the room to get ready for dinner. Tonight was formal night #2 in Parrot Cay.

Aren't we cute???

DW grew some ears. Not sure what that is all about!

Zach with his friend on his shoulder. He picked up this cricket looking thing in mexico the first stop of the trip. Freaked out our assistant server!

Frano was having a good time...with Rick and Patti!

So were Audrey and Doug!

Zach and Dina....As I think I said before, Zach spend most of the trip at our table and was a welcome addition. He did sit with his family a few nights...

Our whole table...a great group of people to sail with!

Quick picture in front of the Ginger Bread House

We didn't have any desire to see Dreams...so instead we went with Zach, Doug and Audrey to play Eucher. Neither Deanna or I had ever played it...and I definitely was not any good. But it was fun to learn a new game. Zach spent much of the time arguing with Doug and Audrey about rules...apparently those crazy canadians play different rules than the crazy americans. Who knew.

It was really fun, though...learning new things are always good. Not sure if I shared this earlier, but my thought on Eucher is that it was invented because cards were lost from the deck...and these were the ones that were left. If you are not familiar with Eucher you play with 9-k. At least I think it is 9. I'm sure someone will correct me.

Time for bed...for tomorrow is the end of the world.

I leave you with our Turkey.

Next up: Costa Maya..oh my!

Thanks for sticking with me!

DZ
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #164
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great update...wonderful pics!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #165
BethC1952
DIS Veteran
Has been VERY patient and VERY helpful!

I'm glad to see you posted an update. I was afraid I'd be stuck on this cruise forever!

Actually, I was on this cruise, but it was over much too quickly! It's nice to see your pictures and relive the experience a bit!

Beth

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: