Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
UConnJack
"Everyone's special Dash", "That's saying nobody is".

Short notice FE Extender gift ideas

Our cruise on the Fantasy is coming up in a few weeks and we just found out about this FE thing. My kids and wife are really interested in it so we signed up on the meet and greet board and are making the FE, but we were wondering if anyone could give us some ideas for gifts? I have seen some pretty elaborate homemade gifts that are great, but I don't think we have enough time to make anything too intricate. What are some examples of gifts people give, either purchased items or somewhat simple homemade items?

Also, I am not entirely clear on the "rules", are you supposed to give gifts to everyone every day or just once (or as many times as you want?)

Thanks!

Agent JAY: "Why the big secret? People are smart, they can handle it."
Agent KAY: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals. You know it.."

You think healthcare is expensive now? Wait until its FREE.
UConnJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

If you do a search, you will find a bunch of threads on the subject.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnJack View Post
Our cruise on the Fantasy is coming up in a few weeks and we just found out about this FE thing. My kids and wife are really interested in it so we signed up on the meet and greet board and are making the FE, but we were wondering if anyone could give us some ideas for gifts? I have seen some pretty elaborate homemade gifts that are great, but I don't think we have enough time to make anything too intricate. What are some examples of gifts people give, either purchased items or somewhat simple homemade items?

Also, I am not entirely clear on the "rules", are you supposed to give gifts to everyone every day or just once (or as many times as you want?)

Thanks!
Whatever "rules" there are would be on your cruise meet thread. Each FE group has it's own life. Generally, you can do one gift per room, or per person, or one for adults - one for children, whatever. We've only done one delivery per room (not one gift - one delivery). Some people do more, like 2 or even 3 times during the cruise.

I've found some nice, quick gifts in the dollar bins at Target, and in the party aisle.

Candy is always good, for me

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

You only need to deliver the gifts once you can do individual gifts or a family gift completely your choice. Our first FE we were clueless we found the 1$ store very helpful glow sticks, candy, coloring supplies, look around surely you'll find something
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
mom of a lil pirate
Mouseketeer

One of my favorite's was a little coloring pack for my son and a recipe that represented where the person was from. Just a little recipe card and a little note attached on how it related to their hometown. It is simple, but fun!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

I printed magnets and post-it notes from Vista Print. Both had an image of Mickey I found online. The magnets had our ship name, destination, and dates. Then in a smaller font I listed the full cruise itinerary. The post-it notes just had the ship name, destination and dates at the top. Very easy. Took about 20 minutes to design and they were delivered in less than two weeks. I picked up clear cellophane bags and ribbon from Walmart. Super easy and I think the other participants liked them.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Another quick/easy order people do is Oriental Trading. Depending on when/where you're going, you can find themed ideas cheap. This is my first time participating and the most common theme I've seen as I've researched is you'll see/receive extremes on both ends, so do what you can and go in it for the fun of giving.

I'm doing a mix of home crafts (more for the adults) and store bought (more for the kids), but not 100% that way. **Spoiler alert** I have adults - mini scrapbooks, pens, magnet boards; kids - makeup bags, markers, notebooks, bags of gold (bubble gum), glow bracelets.
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

One thing I have always liked are the items from the giver's hometown/area. Specialty treats like candies/ liqueurs from a local maker, postcards, recipes, pens or pencils of the area sports team. I even cherish the Red Sox pencil and the Texas Rangers magnet I got from other FE participants, and I'm a huge Angels fan! These don't require any creativity other than thinking about what makes your little part of the world special.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

We got lots of candy. Also little bottles of rum/wine. One person gave us pirate bandannas. We also got things like pirate tattoos, etc. Think party favor type things. We also got several pins and a set of Vinylmation keychains (awesome!).

I gave out homemade magnets - printed on photo paper and attached magnets behind them. Took me several days of continuous work with the design and the very tedious cutting out of shapes. I loved making them though - and hope everyone enjoyed receiving them!

I also bought magnet photo sleeves. I added a custom designed "photo" with our ship's name, dates, and the names of each person in each stateroom. I figure they can keep it for a souvenir, or replace it with their own photo (so its useful).

I also gave a tube of glow sticks from Target.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
cmclaura
How many more days til our next cruise?????

The best FE gift we ever received was a $5 Disney gift card.

We've cruised 9 times now with Disney and I think I've seen most types of FE gifts. I thought this was absolutely brilliant because it likely cost them less than buying a bunch of little things that people would likely toss before even leaving the cruise, definitely cost them less time to put together, and undoubtedly was the least stressful gift choice.

Plus, we used the card at Downtown Disney after the cruise toward a pin my daughter really wanted, so it was practical as well. And we were able to keep the spent card as a souvenir for the scrapbook album. We could even have used it against the onboard charges bill.

That being said, we also love to get foodie gifts as it's less to pack to take home. Gifts from someone's home state or city are also fun. I really am tired of the junk from Oriental Trading as it's all throwaway stuff. But I am always impressed by someone taking the trouble to craft something for us, especially when it's personalized. Kudos to them!

YES! We are DVC Members! Since February 2009! Best thing we ever did! WONDER 1/17-20/2008 3 Night Bahamas MAGIC 1/17-24/2009 7 Night Eastern Caribbean MAGIC 1/9-16/2020 7 Night Western Caribbean MAGIC 1/8-15/2011 7 Night Western Caribbean
DREAM 12/20/2011-1/3/2012 5 Night Double Dip New Year’s Eve Bahamas DREAM 1/3-8/2012 5 Night Double Dip Back to Back Bahamas MAGIC 8/5-10/2012 5 Night NYC to Canada DREAM 1/6-10/2013 4 Night Bahamas
DREAM 1/10-13/2013 3 Night Bahamas DVC Member Cruise WDW 10/19-24/2013 Visit with Daughter in Disney College Program FANTASY 2/1-8/2014 7 Night Western Caribbean PLATINUM!!! and GRAND SLAM MEMBERS! NEXT CRUISE is DREAM 1/9/15 3 Night Bahamas and then WONDER 7/6/15 7 Night ALASKA!
cmclaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
ladyleslie
Mouseketeer

while time consuming my daughter loves getting anything with her name on it, magnets, bookmarks, she once got a calendar (on one page) counting down till next summer.....

She also loves getting candy, glow sticks and jewlery...

we once got a small bottle of wine .... how cool was that (we wrapped it in a wash cloth and but it on ice and drank it our last day on the boat after we finished packing - (our reward for getting it done on time)

I am totally blown away by the creativity of some of the FE members.
We once got a stained glass mickey mouse head, crotchet pocket tissue carrier. Talk about over the top....

I enjoy getting magnets or something representing a members home state or country. I like to include postcards Ive gotten from members in my cruise scrapbooks....

I happen to enjoy all the cd's with music and listen to them all year long - but for some people its been a gray area -

We also got a little sewing kit which happen to be just the awesomest thing as my daughter tore the strap of her slip.... so it couldnt have come at a better time....

** From my family and friends to yours - may all of your cruising dreams come true! **
** Dream - Aug 14 & 17 & 21, 2014 ** Fantasy - August 17, 2013 & Art of Animation ** Magic - Aug 17, 2012 ** Dream - Aug 25 & Aug 28, 2011 & Caribbean Beach ** Wonder - Aug 29 & Sept 1 2010 & Caribbean Beach ** Wonder - Aug 23, 2009 & Caribbean Beach **Coronado Springs - Feb 2009 ** French Quarter - Sept 2008 ** All Star Sports - Sept 2007 ** All Star Music - Oct 2006 ** Off Site - April 2002 ** Off Site - Aug 1989 ** Disney Campsite - Aug 1982 **
ladyleslie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: