Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
DVC_Dreamer
If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse. - Walt Disney

Flying Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfanforlife View Post
Flying fish looks great! I have never been there either. For the dining plan does that count as 2 meals?
Yes, Flying Fish is a Signature restaurant and would cost you 2 meals. Although, I've never used the meal plan. I looked it up. We debated whether to get the Tables In Wonderland discount card this year. With the whole week and all our table restaurants, we did get the TIWL card. It's $100 for DVC members. We used it for drinks too.
Enjoy!

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

DVC_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Will probably wait for another trip to try it then. We are bringing friends with us for the first time and plan of having the dining plan.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
lindsayx14
Earning My Ears

Hello!! DVC_Dreamer's daughter here.
I have some extra photos to add to my Dad's trip report from my iPhone and the Disney Photopass.

Mom & Dad before the morning show.

Mandatory Cinderella's Castle Photos!

"Isn't he dreamy?"

Waiting for Mission:SPACE, Commander and Pilot! We had our own "spacecraft", and we walked right on! Orange team all the way! Had to sit down for a bit afterwards, though.

Loved the Monster's University topiaries.

Aunt, Mom & Dad outside my new favorite restaurant!

We were the first ones at the Flying Fish for dinner, got this nice pic of Dad!

Not sure if my Dad shared this with anyone, but my least favorite resort (Disney or not) is the BWV. But, I do love the creepy chairs.

Dad posing with one of the new pillows from the CR.

Hope you don't mind me sharing, Dad! Uploading the slideshow to Youtube eventually...

Last edited by lindsayx14; 03-24-2013 at 12:38 PM.
lindsayx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #19
DVC_Dreamer
If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse. - Walt Disney

Third day - Monday is for two kingdoms - AK and MK

Monday is the first day we see some warming. Animal Kingdom is on our agenda for extra magic hours and we have to be up early to check our bags(tonights our first BLT night) and catch the bus.
Here's the beautiful morning and view from our 10th floor CR/MK view room.

The building to the left is the new GF DVC. Cool, right?

The view of MK where we've watched Wishes for a couple nights.

Chef Mickey's is warming up the dish towels.

Opening the park and it's a beautiful, crisp, FL morning.

We struggle where to go first and we decide on the Safari. Again, the parks seem surprisingly crowded for this time of year. This was a good choice as the park fills up quickly and Safari is usually a long line.
I like this picture of an ostrich who was at a good distance to try my zoom.

We trek over to Everest and get on easy. I like to take shots at the top of the mountain. This one came out great even though I just stuck the camera out behind my head without looking.

From the top of the World and Everest. Typical blue sky that we experienced all week. Love it.

We rode Dinosaur with ease and getting a little hungry, we look for a pretzel. With no luck finding a pretzel, we settle for Pizzafari and a snack.
DD and I catch a CM with a cute critter in his hands.

I don't get a snack at Pizzafari and I get restless. I take a little walk on my own up to Africa. I get a yogurt parfait and enjoy a little of an African drum show till the girls call.

DD's favorit show is Lion King. She goes there alone and DW and I go over to see the Nemo puppet show. DSIL joins us. She sleeps in a bit some of the days.
After the shows, we all meet up near A Bugs Life and then split up again in three different directions. DD and DW stay in park a little longer and head to MK. I really want to walk the Asia and African treks.

I love watching the monkey's. The momma had a baby in tow but I didn't get a good shot.

I really catch some fun shots of animals and this walking tree growth, Devine.

I love animals. Isn't this little guy cute?

I really enjoy watching the gorillas. I did get to see the family and some of the bachelors.

I always like a shot of the Tree of Life.

I make my way out of the park alone and my gang is already on their way to MK. I just miss the bus and have a long wait. The long bus waits or constant stops remind me one of the reasons why I love BLT. It's so close to most of the fun.

I enjoyed my solo time taking the ferry to MK. A family with 3 older kids are excited and have not been to WDW long. I answer many of their questions. I enjoy chatting with first timers and watching they're excitement.

A closer shot of the new DVC at Grand Floridian.

Home Sweet Home from the ferry.

MK as we approach the dock.

Goal for this afternoon is to check out the Dumbo tent and ride Dumbo.

Stay tuned. I have to run out but when I post next, I finish the MK day and review our "interesting" dinner at The Wave in the Contemporary.

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC_Dreamer View Post
Boma is one of my favorites. They have the best soups and salads on property. It's a good place to taste a little of everything.
DW does not drink, only on vacation. I had a sip of her drink. The lemon drop has very little lemon and a lot of booze. Two was plenty and she hardly remembers the Monorail ride.
We'll have to give Boma a try then. And your wife sounds like me. I had one Lapu Lapu and EVERYTHING was funny. I had to get straight to bed.
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
DVC_Dreamer

Part 2 of Day 3 - MK and The Wave

DD and DW are having a Dole Whip in Adventure Land at the MK. As I make my way through main street, I stop to catch a little bit of the show at the castle.
I catch up with the girls. We check out HM and Small World but the lines are too long. It's rare that we've ever not gone to these two rides and we're three days into our trip. DD has never rode Dumbo so we make our way over to Dumbo. We check out the circus tent and the interactive queue for kids and parents. You can get a buzzer and let the kids romp around while you wait. We can't fit so we get a FP. We watch the clown show again. This time there's a clown band.
We ride Dumbo.

After Dumbo, I have a great idea to ride the train to the front of park. We've not done this in a long time.

After getting off the train, we take some pictures from on top of the entrance to MK. Cool spot.

We're early for dinner so we take the Monorail to the Wave bar.
We really enjoy a few drinks and chatting with the bartenders. It's very quiet and we're just about the only people at the bar.
Before going into restaurant, I check on our room for BLT. They had trouble with text messages again and I didn't get notified that our room was ready.
Unfortunately, our dinner at The Wave had issues. First, our waitress didn't seem to appreciate our inquiry as to where her accent was from. We have German roots and we thought we detected German. Oh well. It was one of the weirdest responses from a CM we've ever had. Then, two tables down from us, a poor young boy threw up on his plate. The folks next to us asked to move. The atmosphere was awkward. Adding insult to injury, my DD begins to feel ill and excuses herself up to the room before her dinner arrives. DW, DSIL and I are left to eat.
If there was anything good to say, I did like the beer and my meal.
The Orlando brewery beers are good.

I enjoyed my steak.

We rushed this meal for obvious reasons. Poor DD and DW are up half the night with a stomach bug. My worst fear of getting sick on vacation are coming true... can we salvage the rest and bulk of our week.... stay tuned.

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #22
DVC_Dreamer

Boma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Princess View Post
We'll have to give Boma a try then. And your wife sounds like me. I had one Lapu Lapu and EVERYTHING was funny. I had to get straight to bed.
I really like Boma and the Lodge is beautiful. I'd like to do a split stay with AKL & BLT. A Lapu Lapu sounds good. Is that the one in a pineapple? We don't get treats like that at home so it's fun to try at WDW.

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1

Lindsayx14 - Welcome to the DIS!!!! I love that you added pictures. I really like those yellow Mickey pillows.

I'm sorry to hear you all got sick while at the Wave. That little boy throwing up would have done me in whether or not I was sick before.

My favorite pictures was of the GF with the mist all around - beautiful!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #24
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC_Dreamer View Post
I really like Boma and the Lodge is beautiful. I'd like to do a split stay with AKL & BLT. A Lapu Lapu sounds good. Is that the one in a pineapple? We don't get treats like that at home so it's fun to try at WDW.
Yes, the Lapu Lapu is in the pineapple. It makes a great picture!

We like AKL - it is beautiful. We've stayed there, and it is a pretty resort, but we didn't enjoy feeling so far. We really like BWV for the location (and BLT). I know some people enjoy the escape, but we like to be in the middle of the action.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #25
DVC_Dreamer

Day Four - Recover day @ EPCOT

What's the best way to recover from a stomach bug that's kept you up all night hugging the toilet bowl? You go to EPCOT and do the EPCOT death march.
Well, at least, that's how us commando's do it.
DD had done most of the planning for the trip and had made a beautiful 3 ring binder with all our plans, reservations and even menu's from the restaurants. She was so proud of saving her own money from her work study job to pay in cash for her park ticket. She wasn't about to let a little illness get in the way.
In the morning, I like to get up and walk through the amazing smell of the BLT hallway over to the Contempo Cafe for a coffee. It's so nice in the morning as WDW is waking up. The Monorail is operating. The ferry is making it's way to MK. The staff is preparing for the day and only a few people are about. If I was ever going to get some chill time, this was it.
I knew we wouldn't be opening any park today after learning DD and DW had been up all night. I'm restless and go for a walk with my iPhone and headphones. I settle in over at the CR pool.

The day is gorgeous and I'm loving the quiet time with some sun. A Northerner really appreciates this kind of day in the middle of winter. I'm questioning why I live in CT.

There's basically nobody at the pool except me and the lifeguards. Why do the comb the pool left to right with arm and head when there's nobody around? It's kind of funny but I guess I appreciate the devotion. From my vantage point in the lounge chair, I want to say, "Dude, you can relax. Nobody's in the pool."

To my surprise, my music is interrupted by the phone and it's the girls ready to go to EPCOT. I need nothing and tell them I'll meet them at the Monorail. It's only around 11am. Cool, let's go.

The Flower and Garden Festival officially opens the next day but many of the decorations are up already.

Pictures coming into EPCOT from the Monorail.
The new Test Track.

On entering EPCOT, we're greeted by Mickey and the gang having a cook out.
It's very cool to know that Mickey is into cooking on a kettle grill with charcoal just like me. I can't wait to try the Smokehouse BBQ later in week at the American pavilion.

DD is feeling weak and we get her a wheel chair. I just wish they made wheelchairs for tall people so I don't have to bend my back to push. She's such a trooper and wheels herself around half the time.

Duffy is one of DD's favorite and we catch a picture on our way for a Margarita.

Required World Showcase attraction.

We've often talked about doing the detective interactive game. Over in China, we try our hand at the Phineaus and Ferb game.

Phigment is a favorite of ours and we catch good ol'Phigment before our lunch at Coral Reef.

Coral Reef

I enjoyed watching the fish, turtles and sharks before lunch.

We had a very nice young man waiting on us and the food is yummy.

DD not yet feeling up to a big meal.

We pass on dessert so we can go over to World Showcase and try some treats. DD and DW go shopping while DSIL and I go over to France to try out the new pastry shop.
Inside the French pavilion.

Looks like a great place for a sandwich. We get treats.

I get a Napolean and a Creme Brulee.

We have some nice casual down time, relaxing at World Showcase. We watch the English band. They do a cool medley of Pink Floyd.
At the Oz display, I have some fun.

DSIL and I go over to Soarin' with 4 fast passes and just the two of us. We give a son and his mom from Miami a couple of free fast passes. They've never rode Soarin' and we have fun with them sharing the experience. They were so appreciative of the passes for their first ride.

I head back to BLT on my own.

Like a rookie, I get on the wrong monorail and end up at MK. I walk back to BLT on my own.

Back at the room, we settle in after a more relaxing and slower paced day.
We get ready for Wishes.

Our view from our standard view, 1 bedroom suite at BLT. It's on the second floor and I think it's a great view for the lesser points. I'd do a standard room again.

Sun coming down over MK.

We watch Wishes from balcony and fade off to sleep ...

Tomorrow is Hollywood Studios. Sweet dreams for now.

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #26
DVC_Dreamer

Bonus picture of our room from Standard 1 bedroom BLT suite

We're on the second floor at BLT.

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #27
awilliams4
DIS Veteran

Great report, thanks for sharing.
awilliams4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #28
DVC_Dreamer

It takes time

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilliams4 View Post
Great report, thanks for sharing.
Every night after our day at WDW, I take notes on my iPad or in a paper notepad. I snap enough pictures all day long so it's easy to recall the entire day. It does take a couple hours to upload pictures and create each days post. I do enjoy recounting the trip and glad others enjoy. Thanks!

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #29
DVC_Dreamer

Day Five - Hollywood Studios, EPCOT and La Nouba

By Wednesday, our fifth day, the weather is amazing. We're about a half hour late making rope drop at HS. DSIL runs to Toy Story for our fast passes. DD and I head over to Rocking Roller Coaster.

RRC must be getting a facelift.

DD and I make a good decision to do single rider and we get on ride fast. Luckily, we also end up sitting together. Nice!

This is a good strategy because we have our Toy Story FP, RRC went fast and the line for Tower of Terror moves along just fine.

There's a new Jack Sparrow attraction near Toy Story but the line is long and we bypass. We hang out taking some pictures before the Muppet's in 3D.

Singing in the Rain.

Streets of SF, blocked off.

We have an early lunch at Prime Time. Great last minute choice and we've not been in here since kids were small.

I love the restaurant design. It takes me back to the 50's and 60's. Lucille Ball would be proud.

Almost noon, time for a refreshing cocktail.

Dinner at Mom's

Food is great, home-style fair.
Chicken Pot Pie.

I got a little taste of pot roast, meatloaf and fried chicken.

DD got some veggies that they brought over from Hollywood & Vine.

Cousin Quinn took great care of us and hams it up for the camera. We enjoy company of others having dinner too.

Luckily, we eat all our veggies and keep our elbows off the table and escape any embarrassment.

I got a PB&J milkshake to go and we have a shake while watching a parade. We do see Beauty & The Beast show. It was one of our must see for the trip.

The crowds are well, crowded. We escape early afternoon because the girls have tickets for La Nouba @ Downtown Disney.

I made my way over to EPCOT via the Friendship boat to check out first day of Flower and Garden Festival.
To be continued with more pictures.

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

Last edited by DVC_Dreamer; 03-30-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
DVC_Dreamer

Day Five - EPCOT continued

I'm splitting this post just like I split from the girls. I'm solo and take my sweet ol time taking pictures.

I love the Boardwalk area and the Beach & Yacht Club.

Swan on the way to Boardwalk.

Can you believe this weather in March? Awesome!

Yacht and Beach Club dock.

Y&B Club Pool - Storm Along Bay

Beach Club entrance.

DSIL liked this design so I get a closer picture on my way into EPCOT through the International Gateway.

I noticed some people looking up. I missed this guy last time through England.

I catch two sets of Off Kilter. The English Revolution is not playing today.

Nice to see food kiosks open.

I'm disappointed that I can see Mickey Dolenz today. A couple websites said he'd be playing today but I learn that the music acts only play on weekends.
Oh well. I do enjoy some BBQ and a beer.
I had a nice chat with chef manning the smoker.

On the way out, as the sun goes down, I say goodnight to Mickey and the gang.

Back at BLT, I check out MK from the Sky bridge between CR and BLT.

I fall asleep before the girls get in. They had a great time too !

We have to get up early because we have reservations for a behind the safari tour at Animal Kingdom...

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: