Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara61 View Post
I'm voting for AKL. I am biased towards AKL, but have stayed at WL (we didn't have the best room and I think that jaded my husbands experience). My reasons for AKL, yes it is a tad further from the Magic Kingdom than Wilderness lodge but not by that much. We've timed it in the evening (bit of a geek, lol) and in the evening it's 20 minutes to AKL and 15 to WL via the boat. 5 minutes is not bad, some people make it sound like it's a huge time difference. So please don't let the time to park/hotel be the only deciding factor. So many people have made the assumption either because they went on a crowded day or they got a late start that both resorts have a vast difference in time frames to each park that it's not true. Check into averages on travel times on line for yourself before you go off of what someone from a board online tells you (even me ). They might have no idea what they are talking about but just repeating rumors...

There are awesome things about both hotels, if you enjoy the up north woods feeling go with WL, if you enjoy a more earthy with views of animals, go with AKL. It is darker, but not that darlk like some will say. My husband and I love it for the fact that it's NOT Disneyfied. We LOVE Disney but after a day of overstimulation, we want to just chill. Our sons have been going to the AKL since they were 18 months old and hands down it is my oldest's favorite resort. He likes POFQ, as do my husband and I, but home is AKL. My youngest alas, seems to forget everything.

Both have fun things for kids and adults to do. This year we are FINALLY going to do the kitchen tour and cookie decorating at the AKL.

I am not sure if WL has a zero entry pool but AKL does which when our children were younger (they are now 10 and 8) it was really nice to have.

All in all don't base your decision on the travel times, it's really not that much further from the MK to AKL vs WL.

Enjoy your stay where ever you should end up! You will have an awesome time
Wow! Thanks for the run down

I think its great you timed it, and because you did, it helps others like me

I am really leaning towards AKL, and for the whole 10 days. Makes things so much easier, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 2 pools and kids play area.
I also love that AKL has the zero entry pool which WL does not. My 4 yr old would be able to enjoy himself more at the AKL pool. AKL also has 2 waterslides, one being 128ft long, so my 6 yr old will have a blast, and they have a smaller one for my 4 yr old.
The animals and African look/feel make it that much more exciting!!!
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

We've only stayed at WL, so I can't compare buses. But the WL shares the bus to Epcot, HS and AK with one other resort, usually FW, which made it a longer trip to the parks than the return trip, in which it was the first stop.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #18
karenfb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch
Have a 4 and 6 year old. Coming to WDW in Oct for 10 days. Which resort would be better and why?
Thanks!
I have stayed in both and you can't go wrong with either. I loved the atmosphere so much more at AKL but the convenience of WL. I would be just fine with tossing a coin. I can tell you that your kids will love the animals at AK but they will love the entertainment at WL. Don't stress about deciding. You'll love both!
karenfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #19
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenfb View Post
I have stayed in both and you can't go wrong with either. I loved the atmosphere so much more at AKL but the convenience of WL. I would be just fine with tossing a coin. I can tell you that your kids will love the animals at AK but they will love the entertainment at WL. Don't stress about deciding. You'll love both!
Thank-you!!

When you said "entertainment" what do you mean by that in regards to comparing both resorts? What does WL do entertainment wise that AKL does not?
Does AKL have a daily pool party for the kids? I know WL does (I think)
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #20
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
We've only stayed at WL, so I can't compare buses. But the WL shares the bus to Epcot, HS and AK with one other resort, usually FW, which made it a longer trip to the parks than the return trip, in which it was the first stop.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Thank-you for your input
Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
mara61
Mouseketeer

When we stayed at Kidani last year, there was pool activities going on and I know they did the nightly movies. Last year was our first staying DVC with rented points, previously when we stayed at AKL we stayed at at Jambo.

When my oldest was your oldest age he learned to swim at AKL, one of the reasons was the zero entry pool. We loved doing the parade at night at Jambo house, I have some great pictures.

I think you know your answer of what you want, did you ask your kids? They might like night vision goggles over the water parade.

We will be staying at AKL dvc in October this year for 9 days.
mara61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
Mnemonic
My Mouseketeer's Dad

Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
For 10 days I would split between them -- best of both worlds that way.

They are both beautiful -- WL has better transportation to the MK (but not to any other park), AKL has the animals and lots of activities for the kids, plus a better pool area (especially if you add the Kidani splash area).

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If you think your kids would love being able to look at the animals each day, then AKL may be a better choice. If your plans are heavy on MK days, then the location of the WL would make things easier for you.
We have stayed at both. Dining at AKL is "nicer" imo, but the TS restaurant at WL is more kid friendly and fun. Pool def better at AKL, but more overall activities at WL - AND you get the floating parade at WL.

These are my two fave resorts, bar none - with 10 days, you have to do both - simply have to.

DH, 43
DW, 29 forever
DS, 7
DS 6 mo

Sept '08 AKL
SWW '09 WL
Mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both and love both for different reasons. If you want the DDP for the entire time, it does make more sense to stay at 1 resort the whole time. But doing a split stay is easy and since you're there for 10 days, you would be spending enough time at each resort to make the move worth it, IMO. Both resorts have a great pool, very good CS, and great TS options. The WL has the boat to MK which is convenient, but the buses at AKL aren't bad either (IMO). You really can't go wrong with either resort as they are both great places to stay. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

That's a hard one!

Looking at it as a resort only choice, I would choose AKL. I think AKL is one of the coolest resorts on Disney property! Their other amenities are very similar (room types, lodge style, a quick service, two unique table service restaurants at each location, unique pools, DVC attached, etc).

BUT because we typically don't compare resorts as stand alone vacation spots, I would actually chose WL for its location. The boat rides are so cool and you have access to Fort Wilderness (Hoop dee do!), Magic Kingdom, Contemporary, and a monorail ride to Poly and Grand Floridian.

While I love AKL, it is a longer distance to travel to MK and Epcot and the only transportation option are buses. If I was going to AK and BB only, AKL all the way! But if I were spending a lot of time at MK, I would pick WL.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
karenfb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch

Thank-you!!

When you said "entertainment" what do you mean by that in regards to comparing both resorts? What does WL do entertainment wise that AKL does not?
Does AKL have a daily pool party for the kids? I know WL does (I think)
They have lots of activities at the pool and in the lobby at WL. There are activity directors in both areas. They have board games in the lobby which will allow the kids to play together. The games at the pool at WL are lots of fun. A dunking type game that includes the parents. It's fun for kids.
karenfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenfb View Post
They have lots of activities at the pool and in the lobby at WL. There are activity directors in both areas. They have board games in the lobby which will allow the kids to play together. The games at the pool at WL are lots of fun. A dunking type game that includes the parents. It's fun for kids.
That sounds like a lot of fun!!!

I'm actually now considering doing a split stay between AKL and the Poly..I'm all over the place..haha! I'm driving myself nuts! I can never make things simple!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #27
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

I am going to go with wl just for its location to mk. I didnt like boma but loved wcc. Plus we hang at mk everynite. My worries is the room location at wl. I live in new england so a woods view is what i have now lol. Def want courtyard. Def no dormer balcony and the closer to roaring forks the better. Is that what i tell the poor cm who is trying to make my reservation? lol
Akl is simply incredible tho. The location of wl beat out another akl stay for us.
The pricing of courtyard view doesnt seem to be that far off from the pool view at akl. Or am i missing something?
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
hockeymom3
Mouseketeer

I stayed at both last trip and I would vote for WL. I

Second Family Disney Trip April 30 - May 8, 2013 POR
First Family Disney Trip May 2-12, 2009 AKL/WL
hockeymom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #29
hockeymom3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom3 View Post
I stayed at both last trip and I would vote for WL. I
Oops hit send too fast. I would go back to WL in a heartbeat!!! Loved it!!!

Second Family Disney Trip April 30 - May 8, 2013 POR
First Family Disney Trip May 2-12, 2009 AKL/WL
hockeymom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #30
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Personally, I would choose AKL. But after reading through this whole thread, I agree with those PPs who say WL has more of a kids' feel. That doesn't make it louder or anything, just more fun, maybe. We loved our Savannah view room at AKL and the bus service was some of the best we've ever had. On the other hand, the bus service at WL was some of the worst we've ever had. Fortunately, you have some other transportation options at WL so you don't always have to depend on the bus to go wherever you want. No matter which one you choose, you won't be disappointed. They are both great places. We always visit both places to eat when we are staying other places.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: