Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #31
PACVII
Mouseketeer

The bounce back offer for the free dining was September so with todays announcement of the percentage off running up to the end of August and booking to mid June not expecting to see any FD for a little more time.
PACVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #32
cbmamainnf
Earning My Ears

I am new to this board and I have to admit I started coming here to find free dining rumours. We are going on our dates regardless....and have factored dining into our budget. I had started out thinking I would get the plan regardless but in the last week or so I have downloaded the excel spreadsheet and did the math outright. IF dining comes free excellent....but if not it will not change my plans. I will not turn it down but if it is not offered I will not get it...but will still do one ADR/day and one QS/day. We used our snacks last time on fruit and since we will be in Florida we will pick up apples etc...bottled water and bring it with us.....
cbmamainnf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #33
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

FD works for us!
Don Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #34
cbmamainnf
Earning My Ears

That is just it...if it works for you then it works for you. I would love to have FD...but if it is not offered I will notgo with the DP. My kids will be 10 & 11 and are not big eaters so Ibwoukd be paying for more than we can eat. I hope for all those who are lookong for it get it.
cbmamainnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #35
floridajen
Annual Passholder

Free dining sounds awesome

floridajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #36
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I think that I understand the disconnect.

I think that you equate free dining with some kind of charity, for lack of a better way to put it. As such, it should only be offered to people who actually need it. That's where the disconnect is because people who need charity should not be considering such an expensive vacation.

I see free dining as a discount; a price reduction; a sale. As such, it doesn't really matter if the offer is free dining or a discounted room rate or whatever. It also doesn't matter if the person 'needs' the discount, or not. Any person who satisfies the conditions of the offer can take advantage of the offer.

As far as people 'counting' on free dining. I think that people are really 'hoping' for free dining (or a similar discount). There's nothing wrong with hoping for a discount, right?
i don't think of it as charity - per se.

nobody that goes to disneyworld qualifies for charity.

I do think it can be loosely termed as either "spoiled" or "entitled"

but to each their own.

And if you boil it down - it is a discount. But one with more consequences than a room % discount.

If somebody gets 30% off a package...they do so by fitting into a defined number of rooms to stay in. so that is a pretty simple 1 on 1 relationship. Crowds may be higher than normal - but how they spend their time while there is still open.

However, if "free dining" is the hook...then that means that more people, or more accurately people who may be disinclined to do so if no free dining...flood the table service restaurants.
That's an artificially inflated number...and that DOES effect me. And restaurant "booking" just sucks by all measures as a consumer. Great for disney...inconvenient, expensive, loud, disappointing for us.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #37
Team Bunch
Mouseketeer

Then go at a time with no free dining and avoid us.
Team Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #38
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Bunch View Post
Why would i want to "avoid" anybody?

I don't begrudge the users of "free dining"...i don't like it as an operational/marketing tool used by disney.

All my "concerns" are about how the operation is handled and how the "masses" allow them to use it against them in the big picture/long term by going along with it. In this case free dining leads to some bad habits on this board...but its disney's fault.

That and people who believe silly rumors everyday without switching their brain on...

no worries about anyone or thing other than that
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #39
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

We booked free dining the first year it was offered -2005. It was very, very affordable for our family of 4 (2a, 1c, 1 baby)... total was $1900 for an 8d/7n all inclusive. That included the regular DDP at values with appetizers and tips. That price also included airfare that year.

The next year we started pricing out vacations, and couldn't come even close to the value Disney gave us the prior year. We didn't necessarily plan to go back every year, but for the quality and value, we booked again free dining in 2006. However, my DH wanted nicer accommodations, so we upgraded to a moderate resort. This went on for years... every year looking into other vacations and deciding that for the price, we'd rather go back to Disney.

We have gone on 6 trips since 2005 - all ranging from 8 to 11 days in length, never returning to the value resorts after that first year. We always travel the last week of August through Labor Day...my DH can get that week off every year, and we've found that it's a great week to go - low crowds, great discounts, and late park hours. Basically, you get the perks of high season without the cost and crowds. Free dining worked for Disney in the case of our family, because we probably would have branched out and done different trips if not for it. They really made a lot of $$ off us over the years.
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
ReneeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #40
RedsDrew
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Bunch View Post
I just don't understand where people get off on this "avoid us" or avoid Disney World" mentality. A poster made a comment. It was an opinion. He/She's allowed to have one just like everyone else. But how rude to say someone should avoid a certain group, or time of year, or Disney World altogether.

He's not saying for everyone NOT to book free dining (again, I've even booked free dining myself). He's just saying that free dining clogs the pipes that are Disney table service restaurants, which is by my own experience very true. He's not telling you to NOT use free dining discounts, so why in the World of Disney would you ever come back at someone whose simply stating an opinion by telling them to "avoid you or a specific group which by default means avoid booking at that time of year?" Or as a previous poster told this other poster "If you aren't pleased with the quality of Disney, find a new vacation spot."

Apparently some people need to re-watch Bambi over and over because maybe the Thumper-mentality of "If you can't say something nice, don't saying nothing at all" might just stick.
June 2014 - BWI; May/June 2013 - POR; May/June 2012 - POFQ; Sept 2011 - POFQ for MNSSHP; Nov 2010 - AKL for MMVCP; July 2010 - Pop Century for 4th of July; May/June 2010 - Contemporary; Apr 2010 - CBR; Nov 2009 - POR for MMVCP[/B]
RedsDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #41
Team Bunch
Mouseketeer

We are at the beginning of your journey Renee. We have never been and our kids are so young character dining seems an important factor to me right now. We have a budget for vacation and need the free dining to meet the budget and get the most character dining. In future years I imagine our priorities will change. We might prefer a nicer hotel or off site to the inclusive dining. Everyone has their own situation and we should all respect that.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #42
Team Bunch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
However, if "free dining" is the hook...then that means that more people, or more accurately people who may be disinclined to do so if no free dining...flood the table service restaurants.
That's an artificially inflated number...and that DOES effect me. And restaurant "booking" just sucks by all measures as a consumer. Great for disney...inconvenient, expensive, loud, disappointing for us.
This is what I was replying to. At the time I found offense to the "people who may be disinclined to do so if no free dining" as offensive, as that is me. After his second reply i realized he did not mean to offend.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
jjmat
Earning My Ears

Free Dining

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
jjmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #44
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Have there been ANY free dining promos for dates in 2013 yet? The Chase discount that just came out is for a room discount.

My gut is that free dining is gone, or at least will only be offered for a very short period every year, when attendance is lowest. I think the people waiting for free dining are going to be disappointed.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #45
gregger
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeA View Post
We booked free dining the first year it was offered -2005. It was very, very affordable for our family of 4 (2a, 1c, 1 baby)... total was $1900 for an 8d/7n all inclusive. That included the regular DDP at values with appetizers and tips. That price also included airfare that year.

The next year we started pricing out vacations, and couldn't come even close to the value Disney gave us the prior year. We didn't necessarily plan to go back every year, but for the quality and value, we booked again free dining in 2006. However, my DH wanted nicer accommodations, so we upgraded to a moderate resort. This went on for years... every year looking into other vacations and deciding that for the price, we'd rather go back to Disney.

We have gone on 6 trips since 2005 - all ranging from 8 to 11 days in length, never returning to the value resorts after that first year. We always travel the last week of August through Labor Day...my DH can get that week off every year, and we've found that it's a great week to go - low crowds, great discounts, and late park hours. Basically, you get the perks of high season without the cost and crowds. Free dining worked for Disney in the case of our family, because we probably would have branched out and done different trips if not for it. They really made a lot of $$ off us over the years.

Sounds like us....05 & 08 stayed off property in a house next to Disney (much cheaper BTW). Hurricane in Aug 08 so I promissed the family we would go in 09 and stay on property. That's when I got the FDP and an upgrade to SSR after we booked all star sports. With all the perks Disney gave us needless to say we were & are hooked. We got the FDP in 10 & 11 took 12 off and are scheduled to go Aug of 2013 with room discount at POFQ. The FDP is great for my family because it saves us $2000 on food, granted we don't have to eat in the parks but it just adds to the experience. So as noted above if we never got the FDP in the beginning I doubt we would have gone so many times. We would have done Mistic Harbor, Gettysburg, etc and learn a little history!!

ME WIFE Daughter 13 Son 10
gregger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free dining

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: