Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #916
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

We love Williamsburg!!! We now only live a hour away but haven't been there yet. Keep talking about going but things get in the way. They have a huge Yankee candle store that I love. My youngest wants to do the carriage ride but every time we go ask they are always sold out. Have you thought about doing Jamestown and Yorktown also? I hear that's great also. I wanna do those in Dec when they have there Christmas stuff up.
HHI 2014

ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 18 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17
lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #917
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegrumpy View Post
We love Williamsburg!!! We now only live a hour away but haven't been there yet. Keep talking about going but things get in the way. They have a huge Yankee candle store that I love. My youngest wants to do the carriage ride but every time we go ask they are always sold out. Have you thought about doing Jamestown and Yorktown also? I hear that's great also. I wanna do those in Dec when they have there Christmas stuff up.
We did talk about Yorktown and Jamestown, but I think we are going to skip it for now. My sister is resisting doing a lot of stuff. She likes to lay around ......so not like me. but I think we will have enough to keep us busy.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #918
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
.because you know, I travel WAY too much in their eyes. it's like a sin.
Yeah I know. I got some wise comment from my brother awhile ago because I travel too much. He was checking out my FB page and he isn't even on FB, just lurking. So I took care of that pretty quickly.

Quote:
.I will look up that place. I know we plan to eat in at least one of the taverns, and at Captain Georges at the recommendation of one of my co-workers.
I had lunch at the King Arm's Tavern and I really recommend it. You can basically walk in if you go early for lunch. Food for Thought got wonderful recommendations on Trip Advisor, so that's how Denny and I discovered it. The reviews were right on. And the Cheese shop right on the edge of the historic district is a perfect lunch spot.

Quote:
I am so excited to go, but I haven't had a lot of time yet to really research it. It will be such a new experience for me. My sister and Mom have both been there, but it's all knew to Claire and I. (MY sister is being kind of a pain that I am going too. I guess I am taking away from her spoiledness. LOL)
I feel bad for you, because it really is an active vacation and you certainly don't need someone dragging you down.

Quote:
I plan to take a zillion pictures. We are doing Bush Gardens one day and plan to check out the plantations. I am not sure which ticket for Williamsburg we will get. But right now we are leaning towards the 3 day. The down side is that it is 3 consecutive days. I have even though about getting an AP ,which is fairly cheap, but still deciding on that. If I could get some feedback from my Mom and sister, I would know more, but my sister keeps telling us she is just too busy to think about it. She already made a HUGE deal that we bought her a Bush Gardens ticket and she had no desire to go at all. But yet a few weeks prior to that she suggested we go. LOL
The AP is a good deal if you think you will be back in a year. I think 2 days is perfect for the colonial district. You will be so surprised how well everyone gets into character. It's a very immersive experience.

There is so much to take pictures of - you will love it. And BG is really, really pretty so you won't be at a loss for pictures there either.

Really wish I had time to visit W-burg this year, but it doesn't look like its going to happen. *sigh*

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #919
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I read your last update late last night and forgot most of the comments I wanted to make. Here's what I do remember:

- Way to go Claire for getting the courage to go up and sing karaoke! It's so much fun, if you can get over the shyness.

- So funny that she was very adamant about NOT wanting to hang out with you. I'm sure you were very sad about getting some time alone to wander around the boat and take pictures to your heart's content.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #920
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Yeah I know. I got some wise comment from my brother awhile ago because I travel too much. He was checking out my FB page and he isn't even on FB, just lurking. So I took care of that pretty quickly.

I had lunch at the King Arm's Tavern and I really recommend it. You can basically walk in if you go early for lunch. Food for Thought got wonderful recommendations on Trip Advisor, so that's how Denny and I discovered it. The reviews were right on. And the Cheese shop right on the edge of the historic district is a perfect lunch spot.

I feel bad for you, because it really is an active vacation and you certainly don't need someone dragging you down.

The AP is a good deal if you think you will be back in a year. I think 2 days is perfect for the colonial district. You will be so surprised how well everyone gets into character. It's a very immersive experience.

There is so much to take pictures of - you will love it. And BG is really, really pretty so you won't be at a loss for pictures there either.

Really wish I had time to visit W-burg this year, but it doesn't look like its going to happen. *sigh*
I think Kings ARm is the one my sister likes too, so I bet we end up there.
My sister is a huge pain in the rear at times. She is heavy and complains a lot obout doing too much. It would actually do her good to move around more. She has health issues and I am sure if she lost weight, some would go away or lessen up a bit. But she doesn't see that as an option. Over the years I have tried to get her to do a daily exercise and report to each other to keep us on track and she always says no. She has every excuse in the book why she can't do it.

I doubt we'll be back, maybe ever, but the AP would allow me to do mor than 3 days consecutively. But I might just get the 3 day pass and go from there and see how it works for us. I got to work printing out directions the last couple of days to some places of interest. I think we will do at least 2 plantations, maybe 3. How long does it take to go through them? I am thinkig the Shirley and Berkeley are fairly close together, so maybe doing both of those in one day.

I am excited about taking new pictures of a new place. It wil ltake me a hundred years to get them all edited, but it will be fun taking them.

I am really excited to see Bush Gardens too. I know it's not the same as Floridas, but still a new experience. I have been to Floridas in about 15 or so years anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I read your last update late last night and forgot most of the comments I wanted to make. Here's what I do remember:

- Way to go Claire for getting the courage to go up and sing karaoke! It's so much fun, if you can get over the shyness.

- So funny that she was very adamant about NOT wanting to hang out with you. I'm sure you were very sad about getting some time alone to wander around the boat and take pictures to your heart's content.
She was not very nice about be being with them. LOL I am not cool like Aunt Mary. Little does she know, but I am an extremely cool Mom. Even Michael and Paige realize that now too.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #921
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

After my run in with Daisy, I headed back into the D Lounge and found Claire and Aunt Mary up near the dance floor in seats waiting for the Family Fusion game to start. Now it was very obvious that some people here were VERY familiar with the game. They knew where to sit and how to attract themselves to be picked and then knew a lot of the questions that were going to be asked. There was some people there doing this to WIN! It was fun and funny and we had a good time.
Close to the end of the game Alexis and Geoff showed up. Geoff said he was in bed in his PJís and Alexis came over (Her family had all fallen asleep) and said she needed to go find Claire and Aunt Mary. Basically she was jealous that they were still out and she was stuck in the room. Geoff said he tried to talk her out of it, but gave in and took her. I was amazed that She knew exactly where to go, but Geoff said she knew they had talked about karaoke earlier and figured they would be there and she was right.
I told Mary and Geoff they could leave and I would take her back to her room, but I think they ended up staying, even though it was clear how tired they were. I think both girls wanted them to stay and they never tell them no.

After the game show was over, there was a little bit of dancing. Claire and Alexis went out for a bit, but it didnít last long and we then headed our separate ways.

I guess Claire and I still had energy, because we went for a walk on deck 4.

I think this area is so cute. But the downside for many is that it is a smoking area for the evening hours. I donít know if it has always been or if it is new as I only saw it once on our last cruise.

And then we headed over to Shutters to take a look at our pictures.

The atrium was EMPTY!

This CM looks very bored.

Looks like Guest Services now has a rush! LOL

Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #922
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I think this royal chair is so pretty.

A walk down by the shops, which were closed tonight being that we still were in port.

I have eyed this sweatshirt on this cruise so much as well as my last cruise in Sept. on the Magic. I never bought it and I shouldíve. Itís so cute, but I was having a hard time getting around the price tag. I was shopping last weekend and saw a lady wearing it at the store and my heart had a little pang of regret and jealousy.

We headed back towards the elevators to go up and grab a drink before heading back to our room.

I think we mightíve gotten a little snack of an ice-cream cone as well.

We made it back to our room and got ready for bed. I think Claire was looking through a Fish Extender Gift. I swear between the Fish Extenders, my Mom and Aunt Mary, she constantly had something new. She was pretty happy about that.

We flicked on the TV and found they were showing the evenings performance of Villains Tonight. It was about half way through and we lay down and watched it. I soon drifted off and a little bit later awoke to Claire tapping me to let me know the show was over and I could turn off the TV.
I did so Ö.and I really wish they had a sleep timer on the TVís. I use ours at home every single day and love it.

Soon we both drifted off to dreamland and ready to start another exciting and fun filled day. I had laid my head 2 consecutive nights in the same bed now. A record for this trip at this point, but I had been to another Country today.
I also met JohnPA from the disboards today as well.

Oh the Places We Go, the People We see!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #923
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think we will do at least 2 plantations, maybe 3. How long does it take to go through them? I am thinkig the Shirley and Berkeley are fairly close together, so maybe doing both of those in one day.
When Denny and I did Berkley we arrived right around noon and we probably left about 2pm. If I'm not mistaken the tours start like every 30 minutes. No pictures inside the house which is such a drag. You will be dying and go into withdrawal. I know I did! Everything in Williamsburg seems to start with a movie, so you go into the basement and watch that. You can take pictures down there.

This is the house you tour

I hope its in bloom for you

The history of the house was very interesting and I really enjoyed all the outside walking paths. I did not visit Shirley as we were checking in that day. I believe it took us about 45 minutes to drive to W-burg from Berkley.

I think there is supposed to be a cute pub/restaurant right in that general area. There really isn't much around so plan for your lunch break accordingly.

I am certain the weight thing must be a factor in why you sister won't be able to keep up with you. I just hope you can see and do everything you want to do.

As far as your most recent update - I honestly can't believe you were able to photograph the atrium with no one in it. Wow! Very cool!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #924
Gracies Moms
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I just added it today. I wondered if anyone would notice. I am still keeping it quiet on facebook though, as Skip doesn't want his family and friends to know ...because you know, I travel WAY too much in their eyes. it's like a sin.
I will look up that place. I know we plan to eat in at least one of the taverns, and at Captain Georges at the recommendation of one of my co-workers.
I am so excited to go, but I haven't had a lot of time yet to really research it. It will be such a new experience for me. My sister and Mom have both been there, but it's all knew to Claire and I. (MY sister is being kind of a pain that I am going too. I guess I am taking away from her spoiledness. LOL)

I plan to take a zillion pictures. We are doing Bush Gardens one day and plan to check out the plantations. I am not sure which ticket for Williamsburg we will get. But right now we are leaning towards the 3 day. The down side is that it is 3 consecutive days. I have even though about getting an AP ,which is fairly cheap, but still deciding on that. If I could get some feedback from my Mom and sister, I would know more, but my sister keeps telling us she is just too busy to think about it. She already made a HUGE deal that we bought her a Bush Gardens ticket and she had no desire to go at all. But yet a few weeks prior to that she suggested we go. LOL
LOVE all your trip reports!

Just wanted to let ya know I live and work in Williamsburg (WPD Parking Enforcment) so if there's anything I can help you out with just let me know! I can't see all of your ticker, so I'm not sure when you'll be in the area but I'd be happy to provide whatever info/help I can!

I'd hate to happen upon your trip report and hear nasty things about the parking ticket you received!!

Enjoy CW!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #925
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
When Denny and I did Berkley we arrived right around noon and we probably left about 2pm. If I'm not mistaken the tours start like every 30 minutes. No pictures inside the house which is such a drag. You will be dying and go into withdrawal. I know I did! Everything in Williamsburg seems to start with a movie, so you go into the basement and watch that. You can take pictures down there.

This is the house you tour

I hope its in bloom for you

The history of the house was very interesting and I really enjoyed all the outside walking paths. I did not visit Shirley as we were checking in that day. I believe it took us about 45 minutes to drive to W-burg from Berkley.

I think there is supposed to be a cute pub/restaurant right in that general area. There really isn't much around so plan for your lunch break accordingly.

I am certain the weight thing must be a factor in why you sister won't be able to keep up with you. I just hope you can see and do everything you want to do.

As far as your most recent update - I honestly can't believe you were able to photograph the atrium with no one in it. Wow! Very cool!

Good to know. I think I read it was almost an hour from our hotel. We'l leat a goo breakfast that day then and then eat an earlier dinner maybe. And maybe bring some snacks along.
I think on DCL, a lot of people go to bed early. It always seems so empty at night. The club areas are a bit busier, but not really busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracies Moms View Post
LOVE all your trip reports!

Just wanted to let ya know I live and work in Williamsburg (WPD Parking Enforcment) so if there's anything I can help you out with just let me know! I can't see all of your ticker, so I'm not sure when you'll be in the area but I'd be happy to provide whatever info/help I can!

I'd hate to happen upon your trip report and hear nasty things about the parking ticket you received!!

Enjoy CW!
Thanks so much for reading along.
Do you have any suggestions on how to go about our days at Williamsburg. I have never been there and I really haven't done a lot of reading up on it yet. I just don't have the time lately to do it. Plus with my sister being a stick in the mud, I don't want to over plan and be disappointed.
Tell me about the parking ticket issues. I am assuming you have to be careful where you park.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #926
Gracies Moms
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks so much for reading along.
Do you have any suggestions on how to go about our days at Williamsburg. I have never been there and I really haven't done a lot of reading up on it yet. I just don't have the time lately to do it. Plus with my sister being a stick in the mud, I don't want to over plan and be disappointed.
Tell me about the parking ticket issues. I am assuming you have to be careful where you park.
As far as Colonial Williamsburg goes (not so sure about the plantations, Jamestown or Yorktown), it's all about walking. There's one main street, Duke of Gloucester Street, that runs right thru CW. It for pedestrian (and horse) traffic only. It's about 1 mile long and goes from one end of CW to other...ending at the Capital. There area lots of shops/houses/exhibits to stop in along the way. Lots of folks dressed in Colonial garb. (They even have childrens Colonial costumes rentals for Claire). There are horse/carriage rides but those tickets are first come-first served and go pretty quick first thing in the morning. And like the CW website says, you can do it in 1, 2, 3 or more days depending on what all you want to see. I would say 1 full day would be plenty of time to see it all but if you're a history buff then you can easily stretch that out into another day.

Parking? Park for free all day at the main Visitor Center and take the shuttles back and forth or park in one of the CW parking lots free for 2 hours or use either our paid parking lot or the parking garage...both $1 an hour. OR let me know when you're in town and we'll work something out.

And like mentioned before, don't miss lunch at The Cheese Shop. Their house dressing for the sandwiches are the BOMB! You can even buy little tubs of it along with bread ends and make a meal out of just that! Oh it's so good! Oh and their tuna salad has grapes and nuts! YUM! (I'm all about food - can you tell!?)

Busch Gardens is great. We're pass holders and there every weekend! Don't miss the pizza buffet in Italy! And there's a fun show in the Fest Haus several times a day. The rides aren't to shabby either.

(We could probably hook yall up with some discount tickets to CW and BG if you haven't purchased them already)

I could go on and on...

Last edited by Gracies Moms; 03-29-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: .
Gracies Moms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #927
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

And another great update, Jen. I just love to see the photos of the empty ship. Oh, and on a side note, the CM on the right in the "crowded" guest service shop seems to be Bettina.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #928
JohnPA
DisDad #627

Quote:

Soon we both drifted off to dreamland and ready to start another exciting and fun filled day. I had laid my head 2 consecutive nights in the same bed now. A record for this trip at this point, but I had been to another Country today.
I also met JohnPA from the disboards today as well.

Oh the Places We Go, the People We see!
Wow I'm famous! I'm in Jen's trip report! (twice!)

Wish we had more time to talk, but there's just SO much to do. I did think it was funny looking up from the veranda on Castaway Cay day (I think) and seeing you up above. It just never sank in while messing around with the FE List that your stateroom was right above ours.

Loving the trip report.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #929
francis6306
DIS Veteran

I'm caught up! I love all the princess meetings! I'm so sorry Miss Abby wasn't interested in showing off her Alice dress!

Williamsburg looks like a lot of fun! Can't wait to hear about your trip! Can you do a TR for that here?? MAybe you should start a blog!! I wanna hear about it!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #930
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Shutters is so different on the Dream than it is on the two classic ships. I so love all the empty ship photos.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: