Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
yoyo93
DIS Veteran

Traveling and in the parks with SLR camera?

Does anyone have any experience flying with/being in the parks with a digital SLR? I really want to take mine with me but I'm super worried about it, since I don't have a case or anything to tote it around in yet.
If you do bring it to the parks, do you keep it with you the whole time, only one day, or only bring it for special events? Do you take it on rides (like indiana jones, splash mountain, ect) and if so, do you keep it on your neck, or in a bag? Also if anyone can recommended a bag that I could use both on the plane and in the parks I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
jennameowse
Mouseketeer

I bring mine every so often. Mainly for special events and usually only for a day or two on the trips I have it. I tend to carry it all day. I don't take it on water rides, no way I'm letting it get wet. And I just have a generic small camera bag that is the perfect size for my camera, an extra lens, and backup battery. (I have no idea of the brand the bag is or where one could be purchased-it was given to me by my photography teacher senior year of hs) I also sometimes rent a locker for it but not too often.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
coolspot
Earning My Ears

Perfectly fine; no problems travelling by air, TSA only makes you take out laptops not camera gear.

Make sure you carry on your camera gear, do not check it in!

Disneyland/World is very suitable for an SLR ... a lot of travellers will have one. Only problem maybe on some of the more action oriented rides, the SLR will get in the way of enjoyment (and you'll have to pack it away).

Also, if you want cast members to take photos for you, I suggest you bring an easy to use pocket camera too.

If you buy a bag, something from Lowepro should be available at your local camera store or Best Buy (bring your camera along to test fit):

http://www.lowepro.com/intl

Last edited by coolspot; 03-27-2013 at 10:50 PM.
coolspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
cherklypea
Earning My Ears

My DH takes his DSLR every time we go, and we've never had issues. He usually just takes the one lens (his walk around lens is a 24-70mm which is a great multipurpose lens), although he'll sometimes bring along a wide angle or a telephoto if he's looking for a particular shot. He doesn't use a bag; he has a Black Rapid Sport strap which he finds to be more comfortable than a regular neck strap. He has a vertical grip that holds an extra battery so we don't have to worry about batteries, and if he does bring a second lens I just carry it in my bag. We've taken it on all the rides, including GRR an Splash Mountain; in fact, he's gotten some great pictures on Splash Mountain. We bring big plastic bags and put the camera in a couple of those for the wettest parts of the ride and it's never been an issue (his camera is weather resistant so a little splash here and there won't hurt it). There have been a couple of times that he's opted to leave it behind for a day and we always regret not having it with us, so I say go for it! As for the plane, he has a Lowepro rolling carry on camera bag that he uses for his equipment so that's how we get it from point a to point b. As for my own DSLR, I have a small Nikon camera bag that I use inside a standard rolling carry on and that works just great!
cherklypea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
rms123
Mouseketeer

Love the black rapid cargo strap. We pick a lens and put all the extra batteries and cards on the strap. Love it.
rms123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Penguin312
Earning My Ears

I highly recommend checking out Jototes.com which are camera bags for the ladies. They are super comfy, roomy and have tons of great styles to choose from. I have two, one larger and one smaller that I use in the parks and more every day use. If you are just carrying your camera, no extra lenses, etc, then even in the smaller bags, you'll have plenty of room for your wallet, phone, etc and your camera will be safe.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Elk Grove Chris
DIS Veteran

There are some good compact bags out there. I have a Prologic bag that I can carry my Canon 7D with a 24-104 lens mounted to it and two other lenses. It is basically about twice the size of one of those booty bags.
Elk Grove Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

Are you crafty at all?
http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2012/03...amera-bag.html

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
tdhickey
DIS Veteran

This challenge is precisely why I only take a simple point and click to DL. much easier to have a camera that I can put in my pocket and can toss in a ziploc to avoid water damage.

However, a good camera bag should do the trick, most rides have adequate storage for a basic SLR camera.
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
algae
Mouseketeer

I've carried a DSLR through DL a couple of times. It's a Pentax K-5, so it's smaller and lighter than the comparable Canons and Nikons, though. That makes it easier to just wear around my neck most of the time. Plus, the camera is weather proof, so no worries about it getting wet. Even though I have other lenses with me, I found that just using the 18-55 worked for everything. I wouldn't bother with changing lenses in the park. Might even be better to get just a compact 40mm or 50mm prime lens so the camera would be smaller and lighter--more like a point and shoot.

We usually have a back pack for jackets and stuff, so I just put the camera in there when I don't want to hold it. Pretty easy, really. No troubles carrying the DSLR on planes at all. I always have it as a carry-on in some generic Adorama bag with lenses and stuff--can't put lithium batteries in checked luggage. But, you don't really need a special camera bag, the back pack works well if you have a jacket to cushion the bottom of the bag.

Also, I didn't realize how high the G-forces are on Screamin'. I tried to take photos while on the ride. Found out that going on the loop makes the camera _really_ heavy and I couldn't hold it up to snap some pics as we went around.

algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
cmpeter
Mouseketeer

I always take mine. I carry it on the plane and then at the parks I have a messenger back style purse that fits my camera, water bottle and small wallet. But, my camera is out around my neck 99% of the time.

I haven't had a problem with any of the Disney photographers using my DSLR to take our pictures...I just set it to auto and handed it off to them.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #12
yoyo93
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness, thank you all so much! I really, really appreciate all of your replies. I'm glad most of you haven't have any problems. I'll defiantly be taking my camera with me now. And I'm looking into the straps and bags you've suggested. Again, thank you so much!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

I usually only carry my DSLR to the parks (at WDW) for special shots like on the safari at AK or for fireworks etc. I mostly just use a point & shoot (that I put in a case that slips onto a belt) at the parks for ease of use. It's super easy to get in & out of the case this way. When I do carry a DSLR to the parks I prefer either a sling or a holster type bag if I am not bringing a whole bunch of other stuff with me (ie extra lenses & filters etc.).

B & H Photo has pretty good prices on accessories like cases. Case Logic has a "day holster" that is just a little bit of protection that is good for just walking around if your camera & everyday lens is smaller and you don't really want to carry a big bag. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...y_Holster.html (NOTE: I recently got a Nikon D600 with a 28-300 lens and this is not really big enough to fit a full frame camera with such a big lens but it's great for a smaller set-up.) If you only have 1 lens to bring this next type of a holster bag offers more protection and has room for a larger camera & lens plus spare memory cards & a spare battery. It would be good for both the plane and for walking around. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...shListId626825. If you want a larger bag that holds more lenses & gear something like this would be a good purchase: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ulder_Bag.html. Either of the holster bags would fit fine inside a regular carry-on suitcase. The last bag would also fit but would eat up a good chunk of space.

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
tzeitel
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

I take my SLR to the parks some days and on others I just take my little P&S. I bought this for it -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With that cover I felt pretty comfortable carrying it myself or putting it in DH's backpack (told him to be careful not to throw the bag or anything like that ). For wet rides I had a big ziplock

I also have this camera backpack -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bottom part fits my camera with lens attached, extra lens, batteries and cleaning cloth. In the top part I was able to put my sunglasses, tickets, wallet, chapstick and other little extras. It is a pretty small backpack (I am 5' 4" and it fit me perfectly) but holds tons and it is padded so the camera was very secure.
tzeitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I use a camera backpack I got off Amazon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: