Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
heybets30
Mouseketeer

Radiator Springs Racers still horrible waits?

We were at the parks mid-October, 2012, last visit. We will be there 2nd week in May 2013. When we were there in Oct, Radiator Springs Racers broke down about once an hour, and waits were ~150+ mins ... I got in the single rider line at 10pm our last night there with a 40+ min wait, and the rode broke down 10 mins into my wait. I left the line. My husband and daughter did the single rider line in the middle of the day and they were gone for almost 2 hours. They waited in the single rider line for 50 minutes, then got on the ride, then it broke down, they waited, and finished the ride.

Getting a FP was a joke - people stormed the FP machines, and the line for the FP was longer than all other rides at DL/DCA. Me, my 3-year old boy didn't get to ride it (he's tall enough) - though we tried at different times over 3 days.

Have the wait times subsided now that it is almost a year old? Still breaking down multiple times during a day? After 10 trips to DL/DCA from Chicago, this ride was probably our biggest disappointment in the parks. We couldn't believe that they would even attempt to keep it open rather than give it a complete check so it could remain open! Thanks.
heybets30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybets30 View Post
We were at the parks mid-October, 2012, last visit. We will be there 2nd week in May 2013. When we were there in Oct, Radiator Springs Racers broke down about once an hour, and waits were ~150+ mins ... I got in the single rider line at 10pm our last night there with a 40+ min wait, and the rode broke down 10 mins into my wait. I left the line. My husband and daughter did the single rider line in the middle of the day and they were gone for almost 2 hours. They waited in the single rider line for 50 minutes, then got on the ride, then it broke down, they waited, and finished the ride.

Getting a FP was a joke - people stormed the FP machines, and the line for the FP was longer than all other rides at DL/DCA. Me, my 3-year old boy didn't get to ride it (he's tall enough) - though we tried at different times over 3 days.

Have the wait times subsided now that it is almost a year old? No
Still breaking down multiple times during a day? No
After 10 trips to DL/DCA from Chicago, this ride was probably our biggest disappointment in the parks. We couldn't believe that they would even attempt to keep it open rather than give it a complete check so it could remain open! Thanks.
Just curious...Before your October trip, were you on any boards (such as the DIS)?
We were in the parks on October 22 for 4 days. We were able to ride RSR once each day. Didn't experience issues with the ride being down. I opted to wait in the FP line. Yes, it is very long and intimidating, but it moves quickly. When we were in the FP line at RSR we waited about 5 minutes.
The reason I asked my first question is because I was on the DIS prior to our October trip and knew exactly what to expect...long lines.
Try the FP line next time...either way, you are going to have to wait in some sort of line if you want to ride this ride.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
cari12
DIS Veteran

We were also there in Oct 2012 and we rode it 3 times. Twice using the "wide right" technique and the 3rd with a FP because when we went for the wide right on our last day, got about halfway down and the CM's told us it was down.
Not sure how busy it is these days, but we found the wide right worked wonderfully and the ride was so much fun!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Astylla
Disney Fanatic

Maybe we were just lucky but never experienced the breakdowns you have shared..

We were there in October I believe as well last time and though we had wait times of course being such a high profile ride , it's something we prepare ourselves for.

While FP may be one way to go..it's something you need to plan to do perhaps and not just wing it as it were. The ride itself has some of the most advanced and many complex animatronics and as new technology comes out things are going to happen that no amount of testing can anticipate until it's going at the normal pace.

DH and I rode together first and did wait about 1.5 hours very close after park opening in standby then opted for single rider after that in the late afternoon and evenings in which it was no more than 30-40 minutes if that.

It's a big ticket ride..there are going to be lines especially in peak times/days. I would advise figuring out a plan that works for you and I would rather a ride break down and safety be a top concern than get to ride something just because I have been waiting ( along with countless others).

If it's not worth to wait for this ride..then don't. I'm not saying that you shouldn't ride or enjoy it , however if it causes stress..it doesn't seem worth it to me.
Astylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
cmpeter
Mouseketeer

We were there in Feb 2013 and rode in 3 times in two days.

Day 1 - MM day at Disneyland. Got to DCA 30 minutes before opening. Followed wide right and waited maybe 20 minutes. Could have been one of the first on the ride, but others in my party were slow pokes. :-) Pulled a fast pass right after we got off and it was good for early afternoon. Waited 10-15 minutes in the FP line when we used them.

Day 2 - EMH for hotel guests at DCA, Got there 60 minutes before regular park opening. When straight to the FP line when they let us in the parks...which was 30 minutes before park opening. Once the park opened, the FP line moved pretty quickly...maybe 10 minutes.

We didn't experience any ride break downs. I did notice at some point when I checked on Mobile Magic that the ride was down...but it didn't go down when we were in line or wanting to ride.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

We visited in August last year, was not aware of any breakdowns during our trip regarding the ride itself. However, while in line for FPs, the FP machines went down. I was in line for a FP for 1 HOUR!! Ok, exaggerating, it was 55 minutes.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
SweetAlex
Mouseketeer

We were there last week and rode it 5x in 3 days. Only once did we wait for more than an hour, which for that ride, we didn't mind at all. The other times we either rode first thing in the am (we didn't have EE privileges), arriving at rope drop, and then using fast passes collected after riding in the morning. The fast pass line was ridiculously long at rope drop, winding all the way down Hollywood street and beyond. We would ride it first, I would then run for fast passes after riding while my family had breakfast at Flos and I had no problems getting passes both times for about 7:30 in the evening (only waited in the FP line for maybe 5-10 min). Fast passes were gone within 2 hours of park opening though but no need to stand in line first thing in the morning at all.

The fast pass line was very smooth when I used it. They had CMs not only every few feet in line answering questions and reminding guests about the FPs rules (ALL ticket holders must have entered parks, etc), they also had one at the front of the line, directing people quickly to open FP machines and one at EACH machine. This made the FP line move VERY quickly and smoothly.

We saw the ride break down numerous times. Only once did it seem to last longer than an hour though. It broke down while we were in line twice but it didn't take them long to get it back up and running.

Mid day though, the lines were up to 150+ min. The week wasn't terribly busy. Busy, as always, but never saw any other rides longer than an hour.

SweetAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
halfmonkey
Mouseketeer

Yes, the wait times are still insance. We went a couple of weeks ago on a sunday and was able to get a FP early in the morning for a 10:55 to 11:55am slot. Don't let the FP line fool you. It moves fast. When we went during our time slot, the ride was down. Even with FP, it was still about a 30 minute wait. The single rider line was all the way out to the point where the line begins and so was the regular line so you can imagine, it was a long wait. We did a rider swap with my wife and when she was almost to the front, it broke down so the ride does seem to still break down a lot. Be patient and I would recommend you make it your very first ride of the day.
halfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

When are you planning to return?

Right now the parks are in the middle of Spring Break so many of the horror stories we are hearing is with the park at a very busy time. If you were to go at another time when it's not as busy it might not be as bad.

Sure it is going to be a long wait for this ride compared to all the others as it's new - but it might not be 2+ hours like it is right now.
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilaine
When are you planning to return?

Right now the parks are in the middle of Spring Break so many of the horror stories we are hearing is with the park at a very busy time. If you were to go at another time when it's not as busy it might not be as bad.

Sure it is going to be a long wait for this ride compared to all the others as it's new - but it might not be 2+ hours like it is right now.
Yes, in the middle of spring break yesterday the wait time was 3 hours late morning/ early afternoon.
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #11
heybets30
Mouseketeer

We were there Oct 10-12. We absolutely knew Carsland was going to be crazy, and glad to hear it isn't as bad as it was during the 3-day visit last oct. we skip WOC and got to ride Mater during WOC which was a nice perk, though, as there was no wait at 8:30pm vs the 90+ min wait at other times!! My 3-yr old didn't know what he was missing with RSR, it was more disappointing for me because I know he'd love RSR. We'll give it another shot in May!! And SO glad not to be there during dpring break!!!
heybets30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carsland, racers, radiator, springs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: