Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #106
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,741
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot View Post
I can't begin to tell the above posters how grateful I am for the suggestions for the 'disabilty' tag for the stroller. I had no idea that was something Disney had and may make things quite a bit easier for me around Disney! I guess even though I have some personal physical challenges right now I didn't think to even check the disablities section as I was thinking that was more for wheelchair bound etc and people who have far more challenges than I am facing. Good to know! I'll do some reading over there. At the same time I am so excited for my kids to see Disney, it's also really important for me to manage the pain and avoid situations that make it worse so I can enjoy more of the day at a slower pace and not be a Debbie Downer. Inside it is killing me that I can't participate as much as I want to. I am a ride junkie and this is my first trip to Disney in 20 years. Hoping the adrenaline of being there in the magical world of Disney will block out some of the physical stuff! Thanks for the help!
Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Post 6 is about Guest Assistance Cards. Page 2 of that thread includes information about getting into rides/transfers in posts 18-21.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #107
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
chloelovesdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 6,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot View Post
I can't begin to tell the above posters how grateful I am for the suggestions for the 'disabilty' tag for the stroller. I had no idea that was something Disney had and may make things quite a bit easier for me around Disney! I guess even though I have some personal physical challenges right now I didn't think to even check the disablities section as I was thinking that was more for wheelchair bound etc and people who have far more challenges than I am facing. Good to know! I'll do some reading over there. At the same time I am so excited for my kids to see Disney, it's also really important for me to manage the pain and avoid situations that make it worse so I can enjoy more of the day at a slower pace and not be a Debbie Downer. Inside it is killing me that I can't participate as much as I want to. I am a ride junkie and this is my first trip to Disney in 20 years. Hoping the adrenaline of being there in the magical world of Disney will block out some of the physical stuff! Thanks for the help!
I promise it's entirely possible to have a fantastic trip with your kids at WDW even with medical issues. Do a search on the disabilities board, there have been several threads about the stroller as a wheelchair tag (a few are from me, lol). Many of them are regarding kids that need to remain in their stroller for various reasons but you will still get some helpful tips.
__________________

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #108
tyzzle
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot View Post
As you can see by my number of posts that I do not use this board or any other for that matter very often. I just wanted some basic info that I could not find in my searches so I had to pose my own question. It has been a tough enough time for me lately in my life, I don't need to add being talked down to by total strangers. But I won't let a few rotten apples spoil the bushel. I thank the people that were kind and understanding on here and that took the time to give me some relevant and unbiased info and advice.

Look, we all know what works best for our kids and can tell when they are happy and when they are not. I would never stick my kid in a seat or stroller or wrap they hated just because it's easier for me. Their happiness comes first. Why else would I drag my broken body all around Disney if not for them! My dream vacation right now would be sitting on a beach sipping a daquiri but that is not to be. Anyway, my baby loves to be facing me in the stroller and has hated the regular 'city mini' type of jogging stroller and the Graco type stroller I have at home as he can't see me. As another poster said with their child, mine twists his head all around trying to see me and gets all fussy. He LOVES being in the infant car seat and looking right at me. In fact today I had to go to the doctor so I loaded him in the seat and in the few minutes it took me to get my older son's coat and boots on he was sound asleep and snoring. I'd say he likes it in there.

Besides the fact that he is comfy it in there, it works great for me. I don't have to wait for hubby to lift him out or risk sending my back into spasms by squatting or bending too low to get him out of a regular stroller. This one sits him almost at waist height so I can use more of my arms to lift him in and out frequently. We are still trying to work out the logistics of this trip for me with the pain I am in. I refuse to take pain meds as I am breast feeding so I am dealing with the pain as best I can. I haven't had a vacation for a very long time and now have a chance to do Disney almost for free. Yes it's not a ideal time physically for me to go, and would be better if the kids were older maybe so they will remember more of it. However, this is a rare opportunity to take this trip and I am willing to suffer any physical pain it will cause me just to see that one moment that my toddler sees Buzz Lightyear for the first time or rides on Dumbo.

Also, I don't even know if I can get on a lot of rides as I can't really lift my right leg very high. I have to climb stairs using my left leg one step at a time to limit the amount of times my back spasms or for safety while carrying my baby. I am picturing a lot of rides where I have to climb in like Dumbo I will not be able to get into whereas one step up onto a carousel platform should be fine. Another matter is my toddler is a 'runner'. The minute you let go of his hand, he is trying to run or jump or do something else daredevil like so he will have to wear a harness for safety I think. We say in football terms that he needs 'man to man coverage!' You can't take your eye off him for a second or he will be taking a swim in the Its a Small World moat! I don't know how we would manage getting on rides with my husband having to hold both kids while I try to clamber in without falling. We have tried the wrap on dh and I think because he has a belly it sits my baby in there really weird and they both hate it. DS doesn't like the back carrier ones as he can't see our faces as easily and you obviously can't go on a ride with that type..you'd have to take it off every time. So I have in my head that I really won't get on much of anything except maybe the monorail or some of the movie/live theatre type attractions. I have to look at each ride individually for my needs/abilities. My enjoyment on this trip will have to come mostly from watching from the sidelines and hopefully getting some nice pictures and memories.
I just want to add real quick that you should talk to your doc about some type of pain relief or control even if just for the trip. I have bf'ed for a total of almost 5 years and there are meds you can take in small doses to help that aren't harmful to baby. Heck they send me home with vicodin after my c/s. I understand if it is a personal choice, but at 8 mos. and with low doses, your child would not be getting much medication transferred from bf. I don't want to give any more unsolicited advice, but I want your trip to be enjoyable. i hope you have a great trip and that you will be feeling well
__________________


Me Hubby Delilah(5) Delores (2)
tyzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #109
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans
 
ThreeBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydalot View Post
I can't begin to tell the above posters how grateful I am for the suggestions for the 'disabilty' tag for the stroller. I had no idea that was something Disney had and may make things quite a bit easier for me around Disney! I guess even though I have some personal physical challenges right now I didn't think to even check the disablities section as I was thinking that was more for wheelchair bound etc and people who have far more challenges than I am facing. Good to know! I'll do some reading over there. At the same time I am so excited for my kids to see Disney, it's also really important for me to manage the pain and avoid situations that make it worse so I can enjoy more of the day at a slower pace and not be a Debbie Downer. Inside it is killing me that I can't participate as much as I want to. I am a ride junkie and this is my first trip to Disney in 20 years. Hoping the adrenaline of being there in the magical world of Disney will block out some of the physical stuff! Thanks for the help!

By my third day in Disney I'll be in a chair. I always go in full of vim and vigor! NOT THIS TIME! IMA CONQUER ALLLLLL!

You'd think I'd learn

The chair or the scooter does change the *way* we tour a bit, but does not dampen the happiness or the experience in the least. If not needing to walk is going to reduce your pain, don't be ashamed to use the tools available to you.
__________________
1991, 1997, 1998, 2003, 20011, 20011
2013: Apr 30-May 8 with all FOUR kids, 8,7, 5 and 1 :-) OKW

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #110
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran
 
cheer25mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
:eyebrow:

Cite your source.
Source for what? The fact that I don't agree with what I read?? There is no source for that other than my own reasoning and critical thinking skills. Just because a research study says they have proved something doesn't mean it is so and I don't take the conclusions of studies as fact unless and until there have been mutiple credible peer reviewed studies to prove thier conclusions. I just don't feel I've seen enough credible evidence here. I don't know what I can cite to prove that as it is my OPINION based on what I have read. You and anyone else are welcome to disagree, but not agreeing with someone's conclusions is not the same as being ignorant.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #111
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans
 
ThreeBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
Source for what? The fact that I don't agree with what I read?? There is no source for that other than my own reasoning and critical thinking skills. Just because a research study says they have proved something doesn't mean it is so and I don't take the conclusions of studies as fact unless and until there have been mutiple credible peer reviewed studies to prove thier conclusions. I just don't feel I've seen enough credible evidence here. I don't know what I can cite to prove that as it is my OPINION based on what I have read. You and anyone else are welcome to disagree, but not agreeing with someone's conclusions is not the same as being ignorant.
I think you perhaps have a confused understanding of what research studies are and what they do based on your commentary here. Research studies don't 'prove' things. That phrase alone is anathema to any scientists. Research studies indicate that the null is either likely very unlikely or very likely to be true. There is always a confidence margin.

Furthermore, research studies do not make recommendations. They present data.

So, when you say you have not seen credible evidence, I am curious, what evidence do you find not credible? What was the abstract of the study? The methodology? The statistics? Are you questioning the methodology?

It's just a very .....odd....thing to do say about a research study, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are intending to use the words you are using.
__________________
1991, 1997, 1998, 2003, 20011, 20011
2013: Apr 30-May 8 with all FOUR kids, 8,7, 5 and 1 :-) OKW

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #112
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws
 
nchulka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
I think you perhaps have a confused understanding of what research studies are and what they do based on your commentary here. Research studies don't 'prove' things. That phrase alone is anathema to any scientists. Research studies indicate that the null is either likely very unlikely or very likely to be true. There is always a confidence margin.

Furthermore, research studies do not make recommendations. They present data.

So, when you say you have not seen credible evidence, I am curious, what evidence do you find not credible? What was the abstract of the study? The methodology? The statistics? Are you questioning the methodology?

It's just a very .....odd....thing to do say about a research study, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are intending to use the words you are using.
Here is MY evidence. My kids were in baby buckets and they are alive and well, PROOF that infant carriers are not detrimental to their development and well being. Seriously talk about first world problems! We're debating whether a baby carrier is "safe" or "dangerous". Some of you really need to watch the documentary "Babies" and see how some little tykes in third world countries are growing up. I'm sure they are a lot tougher than their American counterparts who are too delicate for such dangerous items as infant carries and drop side cribs
__________________
Me DH DD(10) DS (9)
nchulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #113
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans
 
ThreeBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Here is MY evidence. My kids were in baby buckets and they are alive and well, PROOF that infant carriers are not detrimental to their development and well being. Seriously talk about first world problems! We're debating whether a baby carrier is "safe" or "dangerous". Some of you really need to watch the documentary "Babies" and see how some little tykes in third world countries are growing up. I'm sure they are a lot tougher than their American counterparts who are too delicate for such dangerous items as infant carries and drop side cribs
Anecdata are not proof.

I have seen Babies. It's a cute movie. That poor Mongolian baby, LOL, getting pecked by the chicken and left tied to a pole in the middle of the yurt!

But it's not 'science' either. It's just a movie.

This isn't about your personal experience or your gut instincts. It's simply data. Data doesn't judge. It's not mean. It just is :-)
__________________
1991, 1997, 1998, 2003, 20011, 20011
2013: Apr 30-May 8 with all FOUR kids, 8,7, 5 and 1 :-) OKW

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #114
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran
 
cheer25mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
I think you perhaps have a confused understanding of what research studies are and what they do based on your commentary here. Research studies don't 'prove' things. That phrase alone is anathema to any scientists. Research studies indicate that the null is either likely very unlikely or very likely to be true. There is always a confidence margin.

Furthermore, research studies do not make recommendations. They present data.

So, when you say you have not seen credible evidence, I am curious, what evidence do you find not credible? What was the abstract of the study? The methodology? The statistics? Are you questioning the methodology?

It's just a very .....odd....thing to do say about a research study, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are intending to use the words you are using.
Last post about research:
I know all this. I was just trying to simplify my response and not use too much technical jargon. I realize that research doesn't "prove" things and I do understand the science and the statistics behind it. I was trying to give a simplified answer that everyone could understand. I also feel that statistics can be misused and that sample size, sample demographics, ect play a role in concusions. I believe that proving a statistical link does not prove causality. I can show that living in the suburbs directly correlates to having a minivan, but does that mean that one causes the other? That is my problem here. I have never seen a study that inicated a CAUSAL link with sufficient evidence for ME to take it as fact. You may interpret those results differently and that is fine.

Honestly, I don't recall off the top of my head every reserach study I have ever looked at or the particular ones on this subject. If YOU have easy acess to some that you feel strongly indicate that I am incorrect in my concluson I would love to see them. I just have never seen anything that leads me to conclude that a causal link has been indicated between infant seat use and harm to a child. If you have studies that indicate credibly that this in fact is the case, mabye it will change my mind, but up to this point nothing I have seen on the subject does that.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #115
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans
 
ThreeBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
Last post about research:
I know all this. I was just trying to simplify my response and not use too much technical jargon. I realize that research doesn't "prove" things and I do understand the science and the statistics behind it. I was trying to give a simplified answer that everyone could understand. I also feel that statistics can be misused and that sample size, sample demographics, ect play a role in concusions. I believe that proving a statistical link does not prove causality. I can show that living in the suburbs directly correlates to having a minivan, but does that mean that one causes the other? That is my problem here. I have never seen a study that inicated a CAUSAL link with sufficient evidence for ME to take it as fact. You may interpret those results differently and that is fine.

Honestly, I don't recall off the top of my head every reserach study I have ever looked at or the particular ones on this subject. If YOU have easy acess to some that you feel strongly indicate that I am incorrect in my concluson I would love to see them. I just have never seen anything that leads me to conclude that a causal link has been indicated between infant seat use and harm to a child. If you have studies that indicate credibly that this in fact is the case, mabye it will change my mind, but up to this point nothing I have seen on the subject does that.

Ah, I see! :-) This makes much more sense.

I'll be perfectly honest, this isn't my field so I haven't done much reading in the subject beyond being aware of the data and the subsequent recommendations from various organizations. I was just taken aback by the contention that you didn't believe the research studies. I see now you were simplifying for the purposes of discussion :-)


Anyhoo, now that we've completely side tracked the thread for a nerdly discussion of stats....
__________________
1991, 1997, 1998, 2003, 20011, 20011
2013: Apr 30-May 8 with all FOUR kids, 8,7, 5 and 1 :-) OKW

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #116
kevschickee
DIS Veteran
 
kevschickee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stoughton Ma
Posts: 1,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka

Here is MY evidence. My kids were in baby buckets and they are alive and well, PROOF that infant carriers are not detrimental to their development and well being. Seriously talk about first world problems! We're debating whether a baby carrier is "safe" or "dangerous". Some of you really need to watch the documentary "Babies" and see how some little tykes in third world countries are growing up. I'm sure they are a lot tougher than their American counterparts who are too delicate for such dangerous items as infant carries and drop side cribs
You can't use your kids as an example. When we started the back to sleep program SIDS deaths decreased by 60% so saying I put my baby on his belly and he lived doesn't make sense.
__________________
Me 32 Halee 7

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #117
RachaelA
DIS Veteran
 
RachaelA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 1145 miles from the mouse
Posts: 5,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Here is MY evidence. My kids were in baby buckets and they are alive and well, PROOF that infant carriers are not detrimental to their development and well being. Seriously talk about first world problems! We're debating whether a baby carrier is "safe" or "dangerous". Some of you really need to watch the documentary "Babies" and see how some little tykes in third world countries are growing up. I'm sure they are a lot tougher than their American counterparts who are too delicate for such dangerous items as infant carries and drop side cribs
Okay seriously? Well our parents didn't use car seats at all and they were fine so let's all just stop using carseats!
__________________

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #118
kevschickee
DIS Veteran
 
kevschickee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stoughton Ma
Posts: 1,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA

Okay seriously? Well our parents didn't use car seats at all and they were fine so let's all just stop using carseats!
I don't get that logic either
__________________
Me 32 Halee 7

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #119
kevschickee
DIS Veteran
 
kevschickee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stoughton Ma
Posts: 1,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka

Here is MY evidence. My kids were in baby buckets and they are alive and well, PROOF that infant carriers are not detrimental to their development and well being. Seriously talk about first world problems! We're debating whether a baby carrier is "safe" or "dangerous". Some of you really need to watch the documentary "Babies" and see how some little tykes in third world countries are growing up. I'm sure they are a lot tougher than their American counterparts who are too delicate for such dangerous items as infant carries and drop side cribs
Drop side cribs have caused a number of baby deaths so let's not make light of it
__________________
Me 32 Halee 7

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.