Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

My girls are both doing something different. The younger one already has her dress we are bringing from home.

The older one has decided she just wants to do hair/nails and stay in comfortable clothes for the park.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
lindsey
DIS Veteran

Our 6yr old DGD decided she did not want to dress in princess dress. She had an outfit that she loved to wear,and she had the diva style with the hairpiece.
Jun82 - FW, Aug88 - FW, Oct91 - FW, Oct92 - FW, Dec93 - POR (formerly DL), Feb95 - POR(formerly DL), Jun96 - off site, Dec96 - Poly, Jun99 - FW, Dec00 - FW, Dec02 - FW, Jun04 -FW, Dec05 - BWI & AKL, Feb07 - offsite, Jun07 - ASMo, Oct 08 - ASMu, Feb09 Pop/Bonnet Creek, Sep10 - Bonnet Creek, Nov 11 - Bonnet Creek, Jn 13 - POP, Bonnet Creek, Caribbean Beach

lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
Keishag
Mouseketeer

Last time we did it we didn't do the dress b/c it was morning and I didnt think the dress was practical for all day wear. She did however put on her dress at night time for our reservation at Park Fare.
October 2010 POR- Free Dining
June 2009 Saratoga Springs- our first family trip to Disney
Keishag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Kristian
Mouseketeer

Our dd wanted a princess dress, but she didn't want to wear it at the parks. So, I just picked her up a dress at the Disney store to play in and to wear when she wanted to play dress up. I bought Little Mermaid material and made her a pillowcase dress out of the fabric for our trip specifically for BBB and she loved it. It was way cooler than a costume dress would have been in the September heat and it looked great with crocs. It was casual enough to wear through the summer as a sun dress, but I also put a black turtle neck underneath and paired it with leggings and it worked great as well this past winter/fall. I plan on doing the same for our upcoming trip in September. She wants to be Sophia the First and I think it would be so adorable...but I hope that I can find the material...if there even is any material in Sophia that is.

Your girls will definitely not be the only girls that don't do the dresses for BBB. I saw tons of girls made up with just princess tee's on, which I think are just as cute. I didn't have an issue with buying a princess dress or letting her wear it if she really wanted to, but she insisted that she didn't want to get hot, so I found an alternative. I'm sure that cooler weather is a lot more comfortable for the dresses, so really it's up to you. Regardless, if your girls decide to wear them ,I would pack a change of clothes just in case. I know that my dd would not want to wear one in the parks, no matter the weather, because she likes to be as comfortable as possible. She insisted last year, at age 3, that she couldn't wear her dress because it was to hot. I agree with her...we were roasting.

Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

DD always did a dress until this year. The first year I bought ahead of time and took it with us. Then we started going to the shop right by the castle or on main street and picking out her stuff. At first it was an attempt to save money but by the time DH bought her all the accessories and stuff it probably came out about the same.

This past trip she was 9 and decided she didn't want a dress so we picked out a cute tween style cinderella t-shirt in a shop by the castle. She commented after her makeover that she was older than most of the kids and wasn't sure she would do it again.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt_mom View Post
DD always did a dress until this year. The first year I bought ahead of time and took it with us. Then we started going to the shop right by the castle or on main street and picking out her stuff. At first it was an attempt to save money but by the time DH bought her all the accessories and stuff it probably came out about the same.

This past trip she was 9 and decided she didn't want a dress so we picked out a cute tween style cinderella t-shirt in a shop by the castle. She commented after her makeover that she was older than most of the kids and wasn't sure she would do it again.
My 9 year old is over it at this point as well. Princesses are no longer "cool". She did the mermaid package at pirates league this year however and loved it. We saw more older girls doing the pirate's league.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
My 9 year old is over it at this point as well. Princesses are no longer "cool". She did the mermaid package at pirates league this year however and loved it. We saw more older girls doing the pirate's league.
I think she's worried about being cool but I know that in her heart she loves doing it. I wouldn't tell her no if she wanted to. DS will be three on our next trip so maybe they could do the pirates league together. I think she would enjoy doing something like that with him. Despite the age difference they are best buddies.

Its kind of sad after all these years of watching her each year at BBB to know that she's getting out of that stage.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
What is the mermaid package?
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFgirl View Post
Sigh...I gave in and ran to the Disney Store this afternoon to buy the girls a dress each! They are good girls and I think they will really enjoy the "whole package" so to speak.

The good news...Disney Store is 25% off through Monday.
My dd has done it three times and each time we bought our dresses from the disney store and brought them with.

Someof the pictures of my dd all dressed up are my favorite disney pictures ever
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

Most girls do. But when my daughter who was 6 at the time did bring a dress from home. We were going to bring a dress from home this trip to the BBB but my daughter wanted to the tutu and shirt. I know it's a little more than just having her nails and makeup done but it's part of her birthday present. So not bad.

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP
Trip Reports:
Seriously, Disney Again? A F&W Festival & MNSSHP PTR! *Updated MNNSHP Costumes & Friends Going 8/11*
Me? A Princess? Shut Up!! My 1st PHM PTR!
Completed TR-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: 2 Updates! Complete!!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
ammag
DIS Veteran

In October about 85% of the girls wore some sort of costume. We brought my daughters raggedy target rapunzel dress but my mother in law gave us money when we were there as a surprise so we got her one form the park, it's really lovely! Also got a small tiar which broke when we got home.....even if you don't purchase, you can go into the shop and get some pixie dust in their hair! Free...
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
Samar
DIS Veteran

I have seen some girls come out with all the frills and some with just a basic skirt and top and they ALL were positively beautiful and beaming

I hope your girls like their new dresses!

99- ASMu 00- Off 01- Off 03- Off (mom's house) 05-Off (mom's) 06- Off Dec/Jan 08- High Point World Resort and The Palms Hotel and Villas AKL-Jambo July, 2010 POR August 2012 Disney Dream- 1st cruise! Sept 2013
Samar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #28
PrincessTiannaLove
Earning My Ears

I know this has been posted & asked before, but anyone have a quick estimate of the prices of dresses there? Just getting an idea......
PrincessTiannaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
*TheWigs*
Mouseketeer

My girls always did BBB in a cute tshirt and shorts...they LOVE to dress up, but were too itchy in dresses at WDW to have fun.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

There's no way I would buy one in the park....way to expensive. They have them at TRU or even walmart. I think a dress completes the experience but if you don't care for them to have one than, don't. But there are cheaper options. Have fun!
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: