Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #1381
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
I think they added these to some of the Galveston sailings. We don't do well with rushing either but I'm sure it will be a nice excursion for the people on the cruise.
My daughter and I did this excursion on one of the NYC cruises and loved it. We made it a challenge. We did all 4 parks and Chef Mickey's in that one day! I'd never want to do that on a regular basis, but it was a fun challenge that we'll always remember.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #1382
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksloane View Post

My daughter and I did this excursion on one of the NYC cruises and loved it. We made it a challenge. We did all 4 parks and Chef Mickey's in that one day! I'd never want to do that on a regular basis, but it was a fun challenge that we'll always remember.
Sounds like my kind of day... I am go go go... But my DH isn't so were cruising this year to let him relax... Lol... I ll be going to activity to activity. I don't know how to be still. But that's fun for me... Everyone is different...
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #1383
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksloane View Post

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #1384
Holbrook
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Great Thread for a newcomer! Thanks for all the great ideas!
Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #1385
the.carter.5
Earning My Ears

Characters

Does anyone have any character secrets...maybe a time to see them when the lines aren't so long? a good place to stand for the fireworks?
the.carter.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #1386
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Top Siders Is Rumored to Re Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesmom View Post
Apparently we can Topsiders (is it Beach Blanket on Wonder?) for breakfast buffet option on disembarkation morning.
Will be like Dream and Fantasy, will be done this summer on overhaul. No inline buffet. Stations. Magic Pariot Cay is also mentioned for complete over haul.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #1387
threedisprincesses
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.carter.5
Does anyone have any character secrets...maybe a time to see them when the lines aren't so long? a good place to stand for the fireworks?
I would also like to know this information!
We are sailing on the may 4th fantasy.
Any pool/water area tips would be great as well!
TIA
Old 03-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #1388
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42

Will be like Dream and Fantasy, will be done this summer on overhaul. No inline buffet. Stations. Magic Pariot Cay is also mentioned for complete over haul.
That would be outstanding. Never cared for Parrot Cay.

Want to split a pineapple?
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #1389
Mickey3Boys
Aarrgg mi mousies!!!

Learned SO many awesome things on this thread! Please note Disney confiscated my power strip that I packed in my bag. And we could never get the suction hooks to stay on the wall, but the clothesline with clothespins worked well!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #1390
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3Boys View Post
Please note Disney confiscated my power strip that I packed in my bag.
I think I remember reading that the power strip had to have a circuit breaker in it. If yours didn't, that could be the reason it was confiscated.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #1391
WonderTwinsMom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I love the matte idea for signatures!

1.Ask at guest services (only on the Magic I think) for the self guided art tour booklet.

2.Buy the Passporter Treasure Hunt book. I don't have i tyet and it is mostly for WDW but is supposed to have hunts for the ships as well.

3. Challenge the kids to an ABC photo shoot (they must find somewhere for every letter of the alphabet to have their picture taken--A is for Animator's, etc.). Makes for a great scrapbook when you get home.

4. Tour the hallways to check out everyone's door decorations. Take a pad of sticky notes to leave messages for doors you really like.

Missaulalie, maybe we can do some of these together on the first 14 days
hi MHdisneyLo er. thx 4 the tips.

Our family will be sailing on the Magic on May18 for the eastbound Transatlantic. while my hubby and I have cossed the Atlantic before west ound on ROyal and Azamara, this is our first Disney cruise with our 3-year old twins in tow. We welcome any of your suggestions on the following topics, since we haven't flown anywhere for a vacation with the tots:
- travel tips
- meeting the characters
- having breakfast with characters
- any must-do activites on-board

by the way, we're based out of Vancouver, so any of you who may have general Vancouver or Alaska sailing (questions, I'll be happy to help. Please note we did our Alaska cruise on he Inside passage on Celebrity and Royal.

Thanks in advance. Drop me a line if you and your famliy will be sailing on May 18 too. We just started counting down

Cheers
Teri
WonderTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:06 AM   #1392
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
Oh I see. Sorry I didn't know this existed as an excursion. Gosh that seems like it would be so rushed at the park if its just a one day excursion. Not sure if my family would ever opt for that. But that's just us. It may work for other families.
It doesn't have to be rushed at all. We had a great time on our Disney World day with that just hanging out at the Magic Kingdom and going on our favorite rides. I admire the people who hit two, three or even four parks but we just didn't have it in us. (Too many sea days and unlimited dining slowed us down!)

Quote:
a good place to stand for the fireworks?
If you're a a classic ship we found that a good place to stand was on deck 10 in the area overlooking the stage area. We could see the show and then watch the fireworks without being crushed by the crowd.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #1393
Blw120
Earning My Ears

My Eyes are burning but I have read every Post. Thanks for all the great information. I am a first time sailor so this is all valuable information.
Blw120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #1394
jlbmd
Earning My Ears

Lots of good info, thanks everyone!!
jlbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #1395
WonderTwinsMom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw View Post
This was a quick list I made for a friend that was taking his family on their first Dream cruise (first cruise actually) in Feb 2012. It was him, his wife, their three kids (1,5, and 7) plus some extended family.

The lights in the stateroom have this card thingy that you put your room key into for the lights to come on. However, you can use any card that has a magnetic strip, like a library card or a Kroger card. If you use your stateroom key in the lights and forget it, you could be locked out of your room. This will make more sense when you see it.

Ride the Aqua Duck at night. Shorter lines, water feels warmer and you can see the lights on the tube.

Make sure your family has early seating dinner. If not change that first thing once on board. Check your Navigator for dining changes location.

Pack your swimsuits in your carryon. Your luggage will not be to your stateroom until late in the afternoon.

Do the Shipboard Detective Game. It is very cool!

Take a photo mat, markers and a bag of candy to Guest Services. Your photo mat will be returned to your stateroom with autographs from the characters. It is a great souvenir.

Do your check in online. It will make your check in at the port faster and easier. In addition, only one member of the family (per stateroom) has to stand in line for check in. Just make sure that person has all the documents and passports. You will just need to gather for the “security photo.”

Are your dining reservations linked with your other family members in different staterooms? If not, you will want to have this done, otherwise you may not up sitting with your extended family at dinner (unless that is not important.)

Always carry your camera and autograph books and pens with you. You would be surprised at how many characters you will run into.

Order coffee from room service before you turn in for the night. It is a great wakeup call and you do not have to schlep upstairs to get coffee while you are getting ready for the day. By the way, room service is free, so go ahead and indulge.

Re-book your next Disney cruise onboard to get 10% off and $100 onboard credit.

An over the door shoe organizer with clear pockets is a great way of keeping everything organized. You can find them at the dollar store usually.

Your suitcases on the last night have to be outside your stateroom by 10pm (check your Navigator for the exact time.) Make sure that you have everything in your carry ons that you will need for the next morning. Otherwise, someone in your party may go home in their pajamas.

See the shows if you can. They are cute and entertaining. Most people arrive about 30 minutes before show time but you do not have to. There are always good seats.

You can make signs to decorate your stateroom door. Just make sure that you use magnets to attach the signs to the door.

There is a hair dryer in the stateroom if you do not bring one with you. You have to plug it in at the outlet at the desk; otherwise, it will not work properly.

Mickey Mouse ice cream bars are not listed on the menu but you can order them for dessert or from room service.

Do not go to dinner early. You will just end up waiting in a long line. Wait until about 5 minutes after the time and just join the end of the line.

If you are flying home after your cruise, use the airline check in option that Guest Services offers. It will save time at the airport. Note: Not all airlines participate in this.

Purchases made at the shops onboard and Castaway Cay can be delivered to your stateroom.

Do not miss the Sail Away or the Pirates in the Caribbean party. Good times!

Walk or take the tram to far end of family beach on Castaway Cay. Great water activities there, it is a little quieter than the heart of the family beach, there is nice shopping and an excellent bar with terrific views.

If you can find the time, rent bikes on Castaway Cay. The bike path takes you around the island and gives you the opportunity to check out the island from the observation tower.

You can ship one box of stuff ahead of time to the port, like baby products to save room in your luggage.

Regardless of what you may read, you can wear “business casual- Dockers/Polo shirts” to dinner and not be frowned upon or turned away.

If your daughter is in to Princesses, purchase a princess dress before you leave home. The prices on the ship are crazy.

People will dress up for Pirate Night. See above….

Make sure DCL knows if your family is celebrating anything (birthday!) and you may get a surprise.

If you want to do a 5k on Castaway Cay, there should be one. It is an easy run/walk and a great way to see the island and you may get a “medal” for your effort. Check your Navigator for information.

Book brunch on your sea day if available and try for the first one of the day. It is an adult only meal but it is the best meal you will have during your vacation. Keep in mind that there is (was) a $15 service charge for this meal. If you cannot book it online before you leave, go to the area for Palo reservations/dining changes when you first board.

The chest/coffee table opens for more storage. You can also store your luggage under the bed.

The Rainforest Room at the Spa is heaven. A day pass is (was) $16 and worth it after a day at the beach.

I do not drink coffee but I have heard that the regular coffee on the ship is horrible. If you want a “Starbucks” like drink, head to the Cove Café.
Coming from a new DCL cruiser, thanks so much for summarizing these valuable tips
WonderTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: