Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
TravelAgentJen
Thats what my fam calls me

Disney for Christmas or Christmas Season?

My family(my parents plus my family of 5) wants to start planning a trip for christmas 2014, as I look into it I'm not sure it's the best idea? We would love to get out of the regular routine for once and have a magical christmas just for us BUT I'm looking at the threads on park closures and wall to wall people now for Easter and I know Christmas is even busier not to mention more pricey. But I think the magical part outweighs?maybe? We definitely want to experience the lights in HS, the storytelling in EP and the holiday fireworks+parade+party(not sure if it's worth paying for the party or seeing it for free closer to christmas?). Any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

We like to go the week after Thanksgiving. It is the cheapest and less crowded.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Barahona6
Mouseketeer

I would say the Christmas season. We like going the beginning of November so we can see the Christmas stuff but not deal with the Christmas crowds. I was told the best time used to be the first week in December but that secret got out and now it's very crowded.

Me DH Neko(12) Blake(8) T-Rex(6) Rosa(2)
Barahona6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

If you want to go Christmas, then go Christmas. If I went Christmas week I would plan the 25th to be our "rest" or non-park day out of the parks. If the price wasn't an issue, I would stay at Fort Wilderness Cabins and enjoy that day around the campgrounds and cook dinner for my family at the cabin.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Disworldluv
Mouseketeer

Christmas at Disney. The week after Thanksgiving through the second week
of December are GREAT weeks to experience the Holidays at the World. Everything is in place and the crowds are small to moderate. Mostly small.
We were there during the first week of December '12 and the crowds were small. Little or no waiting in line for rides and attractions. We have been there during this time frame for the last 3 years and this December will
be our fourth. Have a blast, we do.
Disworldluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

I would love to be in Disney on Christmas! Sounds beautiful and so magical I know it's busy but I think it's worth it. We are doing a big vacation this Sept/Oct. But I want to go sometime in Dec. for a shorter trip and see all the holiday festivities

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
atomicgirl
Mouseketeer

To me, the crowds always seem much worse at Easter than at Christmas. Maybe because of all the extra Christmas things to look at? Not sure. The first week in December is pretty nice, if you can swing it.

"Faint heart never won fair lady."
atomicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
BSanchez27
Earning My Ears

I think it would be worth the crowds! Am hoping to be able to go at Christmas someday myself
BSanchez27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Having done Christmas week I will tell you, NEVER again for us..It was way too crowded to enjoy for our tastes and we are rope drop people.The first couple of hours after opening was nice, but then the seas of people start to roll in.Trying to seee things like the Osborne lights is congested enough at times before Christmas week, during that week when everyone in the park wants to see them too is not my idea of fun.It is also alot more money to go that week and alot of the dining places have their Holiday surcharge too..We left that trip utterly exhausted.We also discovered we missed our Christmas at home.If you are a the "more the merrier" type and not easily intimidated by large crowds, go for it.Make sure you have a very good plan in place( not the week to wing it) and make sure you pack a whopping dose of PATIENCE, you will need it.I would rather go in ANY of the 3 weeks leading up to that week again
Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
TravelAgentJen
Thats what my fam calls me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Having done Christmas week I will tell you, NEVER again for us..It was way too crowded to enjoy for our tastes and we are rope drop people.The first couple of hours after opening was nice, but then the seas of people start to roll in.Trying to seee things like the Osborne lights is congested enough at times before Christmas week, during that week when everyone in the park wants to see them too is not my idea of fun.It is also alot more money to go that week and alot of the dining places have their Holiday surcharge too..We left that trip utterly exhausted.We also discovered we missed our Christmas at home.If you are a the "more the merrier" type and not easily intimidated by large crowds, go for it.Make sure you have a very good plan in place( not the week to wing it) and make sure you pack a whopping dose of PATIENCE, you will need it.I would rather go in ANY of the 3 weeks leading up to that week again
Yeah, no thanks. I'm thinking sometime between Nov 30th 2014 - Dec 12th 2014 sounds good. Before the christmas crowds and christmas price rolls in. Thanksgiving break is probably close to just as bad, I hate not being able to walk very easily with a little bit of personal space. I also don't want to wait in long lines. Thanks for the insight
Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelAgentJen View Post
My family(my parents plus my family of 5) wants to start planning a trip for christmas 2014, as I look into it I'm not sure it's the best idea? We would love to get out of the regular routine for once and have a magical christmas just for us BUT I'm looking at the threads on park closures and wall to wall people now for Easter and I know Christmas is even busier not to mention more pricey. But I think the magical part outweighs?maybe? We definitely want to experience the lights in HS, the storytelling in EP and the holiday fireworks+parade+party(not sure if it's worth paying for the party or seeing it for free closer to christmas?). Any thoughts?
From your post I am assuming you mean the actual Christmas week (school vacation). From what we have heard from friends that have gone in the past it is beyond the description of crowded that week. While being in Disney is magical, I'm not sure there is enough magic to deal with the lines and craziness for us. I would much rather spend the family time somewhere more relaxing.

If you can go between Thanksgiving and the Christmas week, I say go for it. The last time we went the first week of December and it wasn't crowded. The weather can be unpredictable as it was not warm enough to swim most of the week, but we were able to do and see everything we wanted without having to wait in long lines or fight through crowds. It is definitely worth the going during the holiday season, I just don't see the joy in being there with half a million of my closest friends.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
kittyninja
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy!

We're going the 15th through 22nd. Christmas week was pretty much booked at Shades of Green (military hotel) but we're going in hopes that it won't be like Christmas. We did the Christmas week thing and I have never seen so many people in one place before!! Oh my gosh!! It was still fun though and so beautiful and mom didn't have to put up the tree lol!!

2000--First Disney Trip * 2007--Christmas in the World (if mom doesn't put up the tree!) * 2009--Visiting my CP sis! * 2010--Harry Potter has come to US *
May 2011--Graduation trip, IOA and DW * November 2011--Celebration of the 7 HP movies, "Did I just hug a Weasley twin?!" *
* 2012--1 Year Anniversary Trip with my HPBF, IOA * 2013--Graduation/Christmas Trip, Nana and Her Princesses * 2014--Show Your Disney Side, Universal, and Bubba Gump Shrimp!! * 2014--Frozen Sister Weekend!! *

kittyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

I look forward to it with a plan.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
OLIVIA'S DADDY
Mouseketeer

We go the first or second week in December and its usually pretty quiet.Even though it is not the actual day of Christmas it still has the same feel and ambiance. 10-15 minute waits, there are times that it is more crowded than others but for the most part it is really nice and not too crowded. The weather is great (70'2-mid 80's) cooler at night, but just right. It's also the best time to visit with the Christmas decorations and music. It's even more magical than usual at christmas. Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!
OLIVIA'S DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

So quick question for all you Christmas Season veterans....we are planning the week after Thanksgiving. Beings Thanksgiving is later this year....is that still a good week to go or would you wait and go a week after that? Right now i am planned for 11/30-12/6. We arrive on Saturday and dont' have any plans and Sunday my husband is driving the exotic cars, then we are thinking of heading to AK around the time of the parade, hit some rides if we can and then have dinner...staying away from the more crowded Epcot and MK. Does this sound doable to you?

I was just concernned with Thanksgiving being later...but i heard the 2nd week is now Pop Warner so not sure which would be better??

Thanks Donna

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: