Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #76
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
When I said that FASTPASSES are "unlimited", I meant that there was no cap on the number that each guest could claim in an operating day. Here we've seen people claim they get 7-8-9 PFs per day. Meanwhile we know that there are some park guests who take zero.

So what's a safe average? Maybe 3 per guest, per day under the current system? If so, then we know FP rides will go down on a per-attraction basis because so many new FP destinations are being added.

At MK there are currently only nine FP attractions...and that includes Dumbo and Ariel which just debuted. With FASTPASS+ there will be at least 20.

Three FP+ per guest, per day, spread over more than twice as many attractions should thin things out considerably.

Don't forget about the attraction groupings.

Currently, I understand that 75% FASTPASS is the operating norm for most attractions. On busier days it could climb to well over 90% FP. And my experiences pretty much support those numbers. I suspect we've all had exposure to the FP bias on attractions like Soarin, Test Track and RNR. Those FP arrivals just keep flowing and they only allow people in from Standby very sparingly.

At Hollywood Studios guests will reportedly be able to choose one FP+ from a group that includes Toy Story Mania, Rock N Rollercoaster and Fantasmic.

Average park attendance is 25,000 guests and average operating day is about 12 hours (shorter during slow seasons, longer during peak.) RNR and TSM have hourly rider capacities of 1800 and 1200. That's 36000 riders per day, plus the 10000 for Fantasmic or 48000 total.

With 25K guests and 48K capacity on those 3 attractions, that grouping could run 50% FP+, 50% Standby and still satisfy everyone wishing to use FP+ under these terms.

At MK, you'll have all three Mountains in one grouping along with a handful of other attractions. During the last testing phase they had Buzz, Peter Pan, parade & fireworks viewing, two character meets in with the Mountains and each guests could choose TWO per day. Those attractions represent enough capacity to drop FP usage down to a similar 50% level.

Disney could go to higher levels on certain attractions to meet guest demand. It remains to be seen how that will be handled.

And there will be a decided advantage to Disney resort guests who pre-book FP+. That doesn't necessarily mean you will have to get on-line right at 60 days. I don't think that will be necessary...unless it's for something like parade or fireworks viewing if those options prove to be popular.

But if you're staying at a Disney resort, you best secure your FP+ before 8/9am when the parks open for the day. That's when the flood gates literally will open, with thousands of day guests scrapping over whatever FP+ slots remain. Again there will be enough capacity in the system for everyone to get something...but you might have to choose between Fantasmic or RnR if TSM is all booked.

That's Disney's end game in all of this. Pay a little more to stay at a Disney hotel and you can schedule your FP+ from home days or weeks in advance. Stay off-site and....take your chances.
Some things like Enchanted Tales with Belle and Jedi Academy along with popular meet and greets could book up very quickly. If TSMM is lumped with Fantasmic, Fantasmic won't be booked in advance as much. But if Fantasmic is in the second group, I can see a lot of people burning a FP on that in advance to avoid the line and obscene wait.

Having all three mountains in one group is going to be the thing that causes the most whining. And if Disney ever decides to monetize the FP +, people would buy additional FP+ to get to ride all three mountains in a day without Standby. I think it is inevitable. Grab phone, open app, click fastpass+, see Splash mountain FP available for 8:30 pm (credit card is already linked), click splash fastpass, and your credit card is charged $5.00 (cheaper than beer).

With all the additional FP+ opportunities and only three per person, there will be 50% left over, but not to reduce standby lines - to accommodate those eager to spend. (Currently there isn't even enough FP+ to handle a day at Animal Kingdom, standby lines could be horrible there, they need a new land for sure.)

Or some combination of purchase and what Hope suggested - tour group satisfaction.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #77
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJthaplanet

um, my information is very much correct. it was addressed by a Cast member AND reported by a number of sites that testing for FP+ was limited to 3 per guest. this is the first i've EVER heard of having any more than 3.
I'm not saying you are incorrect...

But "cast members" know absolutely nothing about new things until the general public does as well and unofficial websites are filled with wishful thinking and unsubstantiated moonshots more than they are credible leaks/releases.

I would tend to trust only published info from Disney until further notice...and wait to see how it shakes out.

With this and anything.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #78
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJthaplanet View Post
um, my information is very much correct. it was addressed by a Cast member AND reported by a number of sites that testing for FP+ was limited to 3 per guest. this is the first i've EVER heard of having any more than 3.
I personally took part in a FP+ test three months ago and was allowed to select four attractions in the Magic Kingdom.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #79
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Those FP arrivals just keep flowing and they only allow people in from Standby very sparingly.
Is there some consensus that posted stand-by times are inaccurate? If anything, the stats that the Unofficial Guide / touring plans people collect seem to indicate that posted stand-by wait times are significantly overestimated.

This matters because I don't really see a difference between choosing to get a FP and wait in a virtual queue, and choosing to stand in line waiting in the physical queue. Now I can understand the envy thing, when waiting in the stand-by line you see FP go by you, but people get in that stand-by line knowing how long they'll probably be there. I'm not sure shrinking FP throughput at that attraction does anything to eliminate the envy. People in the physical queue will still have to stop and wait for the people entering the line from the virtual queue, and they'll be envious one way or another.

It would be interesting to see if there's a lasting psychological impression in being envious for 3 minutes versus 8....I kind of think that's the crux of your position on FP.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #80
Vincent405
Mouseketeer

Info I received

For what it's worth- some will say nothing others will believe 100% (YMMV) - last night, I was getting information to book a trip and chatting online with a cm. I was told that if you use FP+, you will be limited to 3 FP per day and only at one park and you can book them 60 days out. No extras, just 3, that's the trade off for being able to get the 3 you want at the time you want (or close), 60-days out.

You can still use the FP system in place today and get as many FP as available, like now, when you get to the park, BUT, you cannot use both FP+ and the current system on the same day. Also, you can't use the FP+ at one park and the current FP system at another park on the same day. But, you can switch back and forth over the length of your stay - i.e. use one system one day and the other system the next.

So, if you book 3 FP under the plus system, you can change those around, but you will only get 3 all day and will not be able to get FP through the current system.

With FP+, you get the 3 you want at probably at a good time and 60-days in advance, but that's all you get. If you do not use FP+, you can't pre-book, and are "subject" to what is available that day and the "normal" restrictions.
Vincent405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #81
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I would agree all indications are a limit of 3 per day is what is planned. There were some tests that they did 4 per day as well. Until Disney comes out and says it, we won't know what it is.

My opinion is they should allow pre-booking 3 per day, and then they should allow up to an additional 3 that you can book the day of based on what remains in the FP+ pool. For instance, you may not see any TSMM passes available the day of, but you could book an additional Star Tours slot. The same day passes would allow duplicates where the pre-book doesn't.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #82
glamdring269
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Personally, I think most people don't realize how much time they waste on the current FastPass system. And I'm including myself. Earlier today I responded to another poster who detailed her exact touring method for the Magic Kingdom. When you break it down, she was crossing the MK FOUR TIMES in a 4 hour period to obtain and then use FPs just for the three mountains.

And anyone who is using 7+ sets of FastPasses in a day is likely doing the same thing.
I would actually rather cross MK to ride a ride in 15 minutes as opposed to standing still and wait in a 45 minute line. We don't have kids and are also avid runners so can cover ground very quickly. It's funny because we also had a secondary game where we would track how much distance we covered in a given day. It's amazing how much distance you actually cover if you take advantage of FP. But you're also not waiting in line, which is important to me, and as crazy as it sounds I actually lost a little weight after the last trip.
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #83
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring269 View Post
I would actually rather cross MK to ride a ride in 15 minutes as opposed to standing still and wait in a 45 minute line. We don't have kids and are also avid runners so can cover ground very quickly. It's funny because we also had a secondary game where we would track how much distance we covered in a given day. It's amazing how much distance you actually cover if you take advantage of FP. But you're also not waiting in line, which is important to me, and as crazy as it sounds I actually lost a little weight after the last trip.
Well, everyone has their preference. There will never be a one-size-fits-all solution. I'm a runner, too, but I have grown to detest the need to pointlessly cross the parks seeking out FP tickets.

Everything that Disney has said about FP+ resonates with me. I would love to be able to schedule a few strategic FP selections in advance, and then wind a leisurely path around the park to visit all of my desired attractions.

As for the wait time, it will obviously vary depending upon the time of year. But if this plays out as I currently envision, what is now a 45 min Standby time should be shorter with more ride capacity devoted to Standby riders. And the money being spent to enhance attraction queues will make those waits not just tolerable but entertaining.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #84
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I'm not saying you are incorrect...

But "cast members" know absolutely nothing about new things until the general public does as well and unofficial websites are filled with wishful thinking and unsubstantiated moonshots more than they are credible leaks/releases.

I would tend to trust only published info from Disney until further notice...and wait to see how it shakes out.

With this and anything.
Lol, I don't even trust publicized info from Disney until it becomes reality. "Cast Member information" is generally useless.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #85
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent405 View Post
For what it's worth- some will say nothing others will believe 100% (YMMV) - last night, I was getting information to book a trip and chatting online with a cm. I was told that if you use FP+, you will be limited to 3 FP per day and only at one park and you can book them 60 days out. No extras, just 3, that's the trade off for being able to get the 3 you want at the time you want (or close), 60-days out.

You can still use the FP system in place today and get as many FP as available, like now, when you get to the park, BUT, you cannot use both FP+ and the current system on the same day. Also, you can't use the FP+ at one park and the current FP system at another park on the same day. But, you can switch back and forth over the length of your stay - i.e. use one system one day and the other system the next.

So, if you book 3 FP under the plus system, you can change those around, but you will only get 3 all day and will not be able to get FP through the current system.

With FP+, you get the 3 you want at probably at a good time and 60-days in advance, but that's all you get. If you do not use FP+, you can't pre-book, and are "subject" to what is available that day and the "normal" restrictions.
Ya, I think this is defiantly worth nothing. The line about switching back and forth between systems seems far fetched. If you're using my magic plus to its full extent then you will be using a Magic Band as your ticket media therefore no way to obtain a FP in a traditional manner.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #86
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That is very much in line with the terms and conditions. The only exception is alternating between systems. If one has a magic band I wonder how they get the regular fastpass. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #87
mb_uh
DIS Veteran

So the real question is if I am not crisscrossing the parks to collect 6 fp then how do I burn all the calories from the dxdp?
mb_uh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #88
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_uh View Post
So the real question is if I am not crisscrossing the parks to collect 6 fp then how do I burn all the calories from the dxdp?
I found out the hard way, use the Surrey Bikes at Boardwalk. Make sure you are the only adult and just have an 8 year old with you. Do that once a day, calories gone!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #89
Vincent405
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
That is very much in line with the terms and conditions. The only exception is alternating between systems. If one has a magic band I wonder how they get the regular fastpass. Thanks for the info.
She said the kiosks will be retrofitted to allow this. She said "At this time, you could choose to have Fastpass+ for part of your stay and classic (FP) for other dates. Just not both on the same days. In order to deliver the seamless and personalized experience of the Park Experience, we utilize radio frequency technology-enabled cards or other devices ("RF Devices"). Depending on the Experience benefits you have purchased, you and each member of your Experience Party will be issued a unique RF Device (similar to a Key to the World card), which allows us to identify the individual using the RF Device and the benefits associated with that individual.

The RF Devices use technology similar to the radio and computer technology in smart phones, video game controllers, credit cards and "easy pass" toll payment systems. Many of the features enabled by your RF Device will be accessed by "touching" your RF Device to touch points located throughout our Resorts.

You will have similar technology in the Magicbands, and at the kiosks"
Vincent405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #90
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
She said the kiosks will be retrofitted to allow this. She said "At this time, you could choose to have Fastpass+ for part of your stay and classic (FP) for other dates. Just not both on the same days. In order to deliver the seamless and personalized experience of the Park Experience, we utilize radio frequency technology-enabled cards or other devices ("RF Devices"). Depending on the Experience benefits you have purchased, you and each member of your Experience Party will be issued a unique RF Device (similar to a Key to the World card), which allows us to identify the individual using the RF Device and the benefits associated with that individual.

The RF Devices use technology similar to the radio and computer technology in smart phones, video game controllers, credit cards and "easy pass" toll payment systems. Many of the features enabled by your RF Device will be accessed by "touching" your RF Device to touch points located throughout our Resorts.

You will have similar technology in the Magicbands, and at the kiosks"
This is the most logical and coherent thing I have read about fastpass+ so far from Disney. I will add this to my ongoing collection of information. I do understand the nature of the source and potential problems with that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: