Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
crystaldawn
Mouseketeer

Ugh. Selling a house and planning a trip?

We are in the midst of putting our house on the market and kind of in the limbo of "what if we sell right away" vs "what if we don't sell for months." We had been planning a Disney trip in October but now I wonder if we should put things on hold and then if we do sell (or even if we don't lol) depending on how things look go ahead and plan a last minute trip.

I'm just worried about the logistics of planning last minute. I am a planner. Normally I have everything pretty much squared away months in advance and it's killing me to just sit here wondering what we are going to do, where we will be staying, how we will be getting there etc.

Any last minute planners out there have tips on how to chillax while we are waiting???
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn View Post
We are in the midst of putting our house on the market and kind of in the limbo of "what if we sell right away" vs "what if we don't sell for months." We had been planning a Disney trip in October but now I wonder if we should put things on hold and then if we do sell (or even if we don't lol) depending on how things look go ahead and plan a last minute trip.

I'm just worried about the logistics of planning last minute. I am a planner. Normally I have everything pretty much squared away months in advance and it's killing me to just sit here wondering what we are going to do, where we will be staying, how we will be getting there etc.

Any last minute planners out there have tips on how to chillax while we are waiting???
Why would selling the house need to affect the trip. You can schedule a closing around your vacation if needed. If you sell and are already moved, the unpacking can wait a week. I have been in my house for 10 years and I think there are still a few boxes we never unpacked. I say go ahead and plan the October trip. It will be a good break from all the house stuff.

The only two things I see as difficult with last minute planning is that it's hard to shop for the best price, especially on flights and ADR's.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
crystaldawn
Mouseketeer

I am worried about any unexpected expenses etc. It's the "unknown" that worries me in general. Like what if something comes up or we have to have more for closing than we expected. It's been a while since we have sold or purchased a home so the whole process is kind of a far distant memory. Then I hear all these horror stories about things that can go wrong.

I HOPE that we are all moved by then because having a house on the market for months with four kids... the idea stresses me out. Maybe I should ask for tips on selling my house instead hehe.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
BSanchez27
Earning My Ears

Ha. I am in the same spot! The house officially goes "live" on the market tomorrow. Not sure how your market is but here in Los Angeles everything is flying because of low inventory and high demand. We expect to get offers within the first few days and probably be in escrow in the next few weeks (scary! exciting!) We are at the same time planning to go to Disneyland (we are local about 1 hour away) for a weekend sometime in April or May. I can't wait any longer to take my daughter we are so excited

I think we are going to get the premium annual pass and make the monthly payments on it.
BSanchez27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
BSanchez27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I HOPE that we are all moved by then because having a house on the market for months with four kids... the idea stresses me out. Maybe I should ask for tips on selling my house instead hehe.
Have you staged it at all? We staged everything ourselves. We went to IKEA and spent about $350 on a new couch cover, rugs, artwork, nightstand lamps, vases, flowers, etc. Then we got a storage unit and cleared up as much crap as we could. We took down all personal pictures except maybe 1 or 2 that were in B&W and looked more like artwork. We had a play area in the breakfast nook so we cleared that up a bit and added a very cheap small table & chairs to set it up as an eating area. We previously had 2 of the big IKEA bookcases with the squares and we put one in storage and moved all her toys into the big one. (They are all in the boxes so you can't tell it's a play area at all) When the realtor came over we threw my daughter's bigger toys in the car so he could get amazing pictures. Our house has never looked so nice haha.

We also switched out our remaining white appliances and our white sink to stainless steel. Made sure any burned our lightbulbs were replaced. Cleaned the counters. Took out the trash. Scrubbed the shower & shower doors with barkeepers friend (amazing stuff) Dusted the furniture. Crated our dog and put away her food & water bowls. Made the bed perfectly. Put the laundry away. Cleared EVERYTHING off the nightstands except the lamps and 1 picture. Cleared off the top of the dresser. Cleaned the bathroom counters and put out a few nice decorative items. Hung nice towels in the bathrooms. Vacuumed. Etc.

That was all for the pics for the listing. Now the hard part is KEEPING it that way for showings haha. Working on that one...
BSanchez27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Would it be so terrible to plan a trip and then have to reschedule it if your house doesn't sell or costs extra money to sell? I would plan it, but would keep in the back of my mind that I may have to reschedule.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am worried about any unexpected expenses etc. It's the "unknown" that worries me in general. Like what if something comes up or we have to have more for closing than we expected. It's been a while since we have sold or purchased a home so the whole process is kind of a far distant memory. Then I hear all these horror stories about things that can go wrong.

Have you had an inspector come in and go through the house? For a couple hundred dollars, you can do your own inspection and prepare for any potential repairs or projects that could be needed. That is really the only significant surprise costs or issues that would cause a buyer to back out.

For closing, it is pretty simple to figure out and any surprises can always be rolled into the mortgage amount. Are you planning 20% down? If not, plan on PMI if you have not already in the monthly payment.

I understand the worry about things that always seem to "come up". If I worried about those things I'd never go anywhere.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. I have several real estate agents and a "flipper" in the family. I can get advice form them on what issues you may need to plan for.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
crystaldawn
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the responses

We have done a lot of decluttering as well as some personal "staging" We are in the process of painting. Yeah the issue I think will be keeping it show ready at a moments notice... fingers crossed that we just sell quickly.

We are lucky in that we are buying a house from my aunt so we have actually been able to move some things to her house. She cleared a spot for us so fortunately we can move things as we pack them. That has helped a ton because we were able to move our Christmas decorations and other off season items over already.

We are hoping for 20% down but really it depends on what our house sells for. Which is one reason we are reluctant to plan a vacation. I mean if we sit on the market a while and get anxious it may be worth a price cut to just be done. Then again our realtor has told us that the market has really improved in our price range and he's optimistic that we will sell fairly quickly.

Maybe I should just plan so we have something positive to look forward to lol... cause this whole process sure is not fun!~
Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
birthygirl
Earning My Ears

We listed our house in June last year and booked our vacation in August for this coming June. We finally sold our house and moved (out of state even) 2 weeks ago and will close on the house in just a few days. It was pretty stressful, but so worth it.

This is the first time we sold a house so I understand about unexpected closing costs (I had no idea all of the money *we* would be required to pay even just paying our costs!).

birthygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: