Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

[QUOTE=mhgmom;47931738 My original plan was to get them more active prior to our trip with more hikes, bikes, walks/runs, to build up stamina.

Thanks for all your feedback and for making me face reality![/QUOTE]

I think this is your best bet. I know that at 2 and a half, DD could walk for 3 miles straight. We took her to Disney for a few days and only used a stroller for the last half day but only because she had picked up a bug and was sick. Other than that, she walked the whole time and we just went at a very slow pace. Our next trip is in October 2014 and I have no plans for her to use a stroller. She will be 4 and I would have to push her. Not gonna happen. Shows and Mickey ice cream bars are excellent breaks.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #32
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
Article

Too Big For a Stroller: Why Carting Your Big Kids Does a Disservice

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=13597874

Though the American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't have official guidelines for when to stop using a stroller, Shu says that "kids should be transitioning out of a stroller at around three years old."

Beyond encouraging a child's development and mobility, Dr. Ari Brown, parenting expert and co-author of "Baby 411," says using a stroller past the age of 4 or 5 is also discouraging kids from being active and independent.

"By this age, kids should be able to follow directions, listen to you and hold hands when you're crossing the street," she says. "In this day and age when our children are becoming more sedentary, you're sending the wrong message by chauffeuring them around."
I think that most people would agree that transitioning children out of a stroller at the age of three is a good idea.

However, when you are touring WDW for two weeks every day in the summer heat and humidity and you live in a cooler climate, the stroller is your friend!

This is where common sense should prevail. If your child needs a stroller, then use one and don't feel guilty!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

We stopped the stroller at 5. Last trip was 10 days and my 6 year old had no problem. One night he climbed in the stroller when his baby brother was in the Ergo and fell asleep that was it.

I found it extremely difficult to push him once he hid mid 40 pounds, I cannot imagine pushing an 8 year old all day in the heat.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #34
AshRose26
Earning My Ears

Stroller

We are planning a December trip and I have a 4 yr old. We are planning on taking a light stroller but I am sure it won't be used much. My children (including my 4 yr old) can normally keep up on anything but I'd rather be safe then sorry. We are extremely active with biking, hiking, sports, etc. Plus, it would make me feel better if the crowds get too much she can ride and I won't lose her. She has a real bad tendancy to not stay close to me and that can cause me some worries. Either way, have fun at Disney.
AshRose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #35
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

NOT ANOTHER STROLLER POST If they are slow walkers you should go at their rate. My sister and brother-in-law did that with their first trip dragging there 8 and 3 year olds with them. They had a stroller for the younger one and still had tried and cranky kids. Making for a FUN vacation!!! If you want to speed along take a adult only trip then you can go as fast as you want too. Unless your children are special needs I would not put a 6 and 8 year old in a stroller.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #36
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

My kids are able bodied and healthy. Heck, we just walked 5 miles with our new dog this afternoon to a local park where they played, climbed trees, etc.

They were 10, 8 and 6 when we went to Disney last summer. We rented a double stroller.

Most of the time, our 6 year old rode solo. But, sometimes our 8 year old needed a break and once our 10 year old rode. They all fit well within the weight limits of the stroller.

It was great to let them sit in the stroller and sleep while we waited for a bus in the morning or they could get some shade when it was super sunny, as we went at the end of august.

I am so glad we rented one!
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
NOT ANOTHER STROLLER POST If they are slow walkers you should go at their rate. My sister and brother-in-law did that with their first trip dragging there 8 and 3 year olds with them. They had a stroller for the younger one and still had tried and cranky kids. Making for a FUN vacation!!! If you want to speed along take a adult only trip then you can go as fast as you want too. Unless your children are special needs I would not put a 6 and 8 year old in a stroller.
And these kids of posts are just why there is another stroller post! Everyone doesn't see this topic the same way. And some people like to hear both sides of the discussion.

What worked for your sister and brother in law would not have worked for my sister and brother in law. Not everyone vacations the same way, or sees this as a do it my way or you are wrong thing.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #38
DanaMark3boys
Earning My Ears

Ok so this post is obviously to each their own but I will give you my opinion.

I have 3 boys ages 8,6 and 1. I rented a double.

Last year my boys were 7,5 and 8 months old. I do not own a double stroller as my older 2 haven't ridden in a stroller in years! Heck- they didn't even use one at age 2 and 3 Bc they hated being confined. I took the plunge and rented the double last year and I have to tell you it was the BEST thing I ever did!! It made the trip alot smoother with them being able to take breaks.

My kids are extremely healthy and on top of that very very physical- they both play every sport and are constantly moving. So for them it wasn't a "lazy" issue. We don't take afternoon resort breaks. We are on the go from sun up to sun down- so yea they get tired and need a break. If they just wanted to rest or wanted to get out of the heat for a bit they got in it. Plus in the big rush crowds it was nice having them contained.

If you walk around the mall with an 8 and 6 year old in strollers then yea I can see a problem but Disney is an absolute exception. Hell- I wish I could hop in a stroller myself sometimes! It is exhausting! Lol
DanaMark3boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: