Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
heybets30
Mouseketeer

Is PhotoPass+ worth it?

Is it worth the $69.95 to pre-purchase PhotoPass+? My kids are 3 & 6, this will be the 6-year old's 10th time to the parks - last trip, we got GREAT photos from the photogs, previous trips, just so-so. We don't plan on any character dining this trip, just a reservation at Big Thunder Mountain Ranch (my kids prefer this over the character dining!). Wondering if others who bought it have any feedback - pros/cons? Any special features to know about using it? Most of our pics have also turned out great when the photog takes it with our camera, so I haven't looked into it before. Then, saw the offer to pre-purchase at $69.95 and started thinking about it.

We go 2 mornings in a row to DCA, and get our Disney Rewards photo - we've had Minny, Mickey, Stitch, Chip & Dale, so we've had our free pics from those visits.
heybets30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

For us, it is worth it. I love the idea of not having to be the photographer for every photo, I might be in some of them now. We have always been too cheap to buy ride photos, now we can have as many as we want. We have a large group, so we can split up and still have photos taken and saved in one place.

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

We bought it because there will be 5 of us going and to be able to have many pictures with all of us in it will be very nice.

Also, we are doing 2 character breakfasts and will be in the park for 8 days during our stay and this is only our second trip to DLR and we are bringing my MIL along for the stay this time.

For only a couple of days when you have gone many times before, maybe it is not that big of a savings, especially without any character dining.

March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Avery's mom
Mouseketeer

Yes - it is worth it! As a PP mentioned, the ride photos are great to have with the Photopass +. We often will ride just to get different shots

However, the reason I like it the best is that all family members can be in the photos. It seems that I am the photographer in our family and there were very few of me with my family until we started getting Photopass CDs, and now, PP+.

As to whether it's 'worth it', everyone will have a different way to gauge whether it's a good deal or not. For us - even without character dining - it is

WDW - Coronado Springs - Oct. 2012
WDW - Art of Animation - Oct. 2012
Disney Dream - Oct. 2012
Disneyland Paris - May 2012
Disneyland Hotel - Feb. 2012
Disney Wonder - Nov. 2011
Disney Dream - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Oct. 2010
WDW - OffSite - Dec. 2008
WDW - OffSite - Oct. 2006
Grand Californian - Oct. 2004
WDW - CBR - Oct 1993
WDW - Off-Site (first visit) - March 1992

Me DH DD DS
Avery's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

It sounds like it may not be worth it for you. Like you mentioned, you can have the PP photographers take a picture with your camera for free. If I were you I would consider it if having the ride photos are something you are interested in. We have done PP+ in the past (and again next month) without any character dining, but I like having the ride photos along with the magic shots.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Cinderpamela
DIS Veteran

Here is an article explaining everything about PhotoPass+ ... and it will give you some great insight into if its a great deal for you and the way you tour. It's actually written by someone who used to think the same way you do about getting great shots with their own camera.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/08...s-plus-review/

and just in case you cant find it (the PP website is tricky and WDW centric) here is the disney link to get it for Disneyland:
http://www.disneyphotopass.com/specialoffers/dlrppp.htm

2014-November-Disneyland VGC 2013-Christmas at Aulani2012-November-Grand Cali 2012-July-Aulani 2011-1st trip to WDW-Christmas at Wilderness Lodge! 2010-Christmas-time@DLR and CLUB 33!! 2009-Christmas-time @ DLR 2008-Birthday @DLR 2007-PPH @ DLR
2005-DLH 1st Family Trip to DLR 1991-Spring Break Disneyland 1973-First trip to Disneyland
Cinderpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
E&Cmom
Mouseketeer

We got it for our trip last week and it was definitely worth it for us. I would do it again. I got lots of family pictures and I am actually in them. LOL. Lots of great character pictures of my kids. We did got to one character meal at Goofy's Kitchen so I got not only the pictures on the phtotpass but the printed ones on site. We got all the ride pictures (6 in total) . We had a 5 day park hopper and got over 200 pictures. At first, we found the photographers hard to find at Disneyland. At DCA, you can't miss them. In the end we got lots of pictures at both locations. AT DL, mainly near the castle and on main street and with characters. My only complaint is that I do wish they had some in other areas of the park there as well. I am happy with the pictures we got.
E&Cmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Mimimomto4
Earning My Ears

It was worth it to us and I didn't pre purchase it so paid the 99$ for it...we got some great shots. The kids love the magic shots with Mickey and Tink also
Mimimomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
E&Cmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimomto4 View Post
The kids love the magic shots with Mickey and Tink also
Just asking for next time but what and where was the magic shot with Mickey? We missed it. We got the one with Tink and one at DCA with Stitch coming out of the ground. We kept forgetting to ask the photographers about magic shots.
E&Cmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote from the Touring Plans article: "I have never understood the Photo CD, as I can get the photographers to take those photos with my camera and save a significant amount of money. But ride photos and character dining photos are another matter altogether."

How many of those 5 rides that take pictures (Splash, Space, Tower of Terror, Screamin, RSR) will they go on?

If you aren't doing a character meal, and your kids won't be riding (many) attractions that take pictures, then you're left with the character and scenic shots that you can take with your own camera or have the photographers take. How good is the camera you would take? Would the cute Photopass borders make a difference to you? They are a bonus, but I wasn't that impressed with the selection.

I think you have to weigh the package cost vs. what you get beyond the photos they can take for you, with your camera. We used Photopass Plus and liked it, but we had one character meal, and all of our kids were big enough for the rides that take photos. It was my souvenir.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
tdhickey
DIS Veteran

totally worth it!

Especially if you do the Jedi Training and character dining, you can get those pics too
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Mimimomto4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by E&Cmom View Post
Just asking for next time but what and where was the magic shot with Mickey? We missed it. We got the one with Tink and one at DCA with Stitch coming out of the ground. We kept forgetting to ask the photographers about magic shots.
The photographer had the kids sit on a bench and look down beside themselves to an empty spot. We did it in front of the Walt/Mickey statues on those benches. I would think that they could do it at any seating station though? We forgot to ask at all about them and the photographer at the statues was great about suggesting poses and magic shots. He seemed to really enjoy his job
Mimimomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
cptmemo
Earning My Ears

Do they have a limit on how many PP+ cards you can get? There are going to be 11 in our party, and not sure how often all 11 of us will be together.

thanks!

mary
cptmemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
Cinderpamela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmemo View Post
Do they have a limit on how many PP+ cards you can get? There are going to be 11 in our party, and not sure how often all 11 of us will be together.

thanks!

mary
You get one card on a lanyard. Just have everyone else in your party take a picture of the back of the PP+ card with their cel phones ( a good idea anyways just in case the card is lost). Most ride photo CM's and PP photographers can either scan the code (if the photo is clear enough) or just manually enter the number from the back of the card that should be listed on the cel phones photophraph.

Or they can get a regular PP card from a CM and then you can add the cards online to the PP+ account- its more steps that way but both work.

2014-November-Disneyland VGC 2013-Christmas at Aulani2012-November-Grand Cali 2012-July-Aulani 2011-1st trip to WDW-Christmas at Wilderness Lodge! 2010-Christmas-time@DLR and CLUB 33!! 2009-Christmas-time @ DLR 2008-Birthday @DLR 2007-PPH @ DLR
2005-DLH 1st Family Trip to DLR 1991-Spring Break Disneyland 1973-First trip to Disneyland
Cinderpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
TigerlilyAJ
DIS Veteran

Most of our pics have also turned out great when the photog takes it with our camera, so I haven't looked into it before.

My husband is a serious photographer with a serious, $1500 SLR camera + lens. It takes great shots. At night when we came home from DLR, we'd look at the shots the PP photogs took us of us, and most of them were OK, like they got what we wanted from that character meet, etc. But then we got home and saw the PP+ photos and realized that despite having a decent camera, theirs are better in one important regard: the FLASH. So much bigger and more powerful, and it really made a difference for some shots, especially shadowed or dark shots, like happened some of the time at the Princess line-up, with its shady spots. No brightening needed, we could use the photos as they appeared in our account. I don't think they are better photographers than my husband (no, I don't think I'm biased), but they do have better equipment. Their tripods really matter for some night shots, too, like the ones you'll want in CL (and you really do not want to add your own tri- or even a monopod to everything else you're taking to the parks).

The other important use of the PP+ was getting photos even when our group split up, with DH taking the SLR, leaving me with my little Samsung Rugged and my cell phone (camera of last resort in case of battery failure in the Samsung...or when I lost it in the Pacific at El Segundo Beach--but that's another tale). PP+ meant that I could take one child in line for Meet & Greets and know I would get premium shots done with a good camera while DH was free to take the other children on rides or sightseeing around the park and take all his artsy, people-less shots with his SLR.

Plus what everyone else said about ride photos, magic shots, Jedi Training Academy photos (those were the ones that impressed my sons' friends the most), and that you did NOT say that the 3yo has already had a great DLR trip with great photos--it all adds up to $70 being an awesome value for your family. Do it.
TigerlilyAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: