Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #436
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
I have read this entire thread!!!

The grossest thing I have ever seen was on our honeymoon cruise a little over 10 years ago. It was a sea day and we were lounging by the pool. There was a couple across from us. I look up from my book to see the woman popping the zits on the man's back
I just gagged a little. Ok... A lot.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #437
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

On our last cruise on the Disney Dream there were two families related we believe on the table next to us. Two sets of parents who both had young children. Not a problem although we are not blessed with children ourselves we enjoy children being around. However every night they turned up late which stressed the serving staff, then they would order large quantities of food ( two entrees each etc ) , then without fail every night they would leave the table going back to their rooms ordering the serving staff to box the entire meal up to go? This was after each child had attempted to eat their dinner of mac n cheese with their hands....so they left the table in a mess ordering another mac n cheese for each child.

I have never seen anything like it. We could not work out why they just did not order room service in the first place or allowed their children to eat entrees such as mac n cheese with their hands. It went every where! Needless to say the service the rest of us got from the servers was terrible because they spent the whole cruise running around after them. We also noticed the parents ate some of it at the table but insisted they make fresh ones? Did they have more people in their cabin or something? We were tempted on the last night to follow them and find out! It was predictable by then to the second....
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #438
Purplejewel
Purplejewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkley View Post
not shocking but "different". a group of 4 couples who tended to dress in western attire pulled out all the stops on formal night. they all came in their matching square dance outfits (inlcuding the poofy crinolins under the ladies skirts).

of course i am always shocked (and dismayed ) by the YOUNG girls (6,7,8 year olds) dressed in the most inappropriate manner (they resemble what is known in my neck of the woods as "working girls")-shorts that do not cover their bottoms, small strips of fabric on their chests (resemble nothing more than a head band), little strappy high heels-and MAKEUP. i'm not talking the play stuff-the real mccoy. then on formal night they are in backless (almost frontless) dresses with their hair done to the 9's. the clothing is nothing i could fathom allowing a teenager to wear let alone a little girl.
I totally agree with you about the inappropriate dress attire of young girls that I have seen on cruises. On my last cruise this past February, every evening before dinner I would see many very young girls (between 10-14) getting photos taken with their families and they were wearing the tightest, shortest most skin-revealing outfits imaginable with 7-inch high heals, no less. I would never let any of my four daughters wear such skimpy clothing in public. I kept looking at the parents trying to figure out why on earth they thought that type of dress attire was appropriate for their young daughter to be wearing. I actually felt embarrassed for them since the only looks they were getting were shocked looks or lewd looks from some of the older men on the ship. My daughters have started wanting to dress up for dinners when they go on the cruises and we have looked at dresses in stores and 9 times out of 10 they will pick out an inappropriate dress and I will have be the "Bad Mom" and explain to them that the dress is too short, too tight etc. Then, I show them several options that are pretty and age-appropriate and they usually end up liking my selections once they try them on. Young girls need direction at their age when picking out outfits. If you let them just wear anything they want, it will probably end up being inappropriate.

10 cruises (3-Wonder; 3-Magic; 1-Dream; 3-Fantasy)
Purplejewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #439
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplejewel

I totally agree with you about the inappropriate dress attire of young girls that I have seen on cruises. On my last cruise this past February, every evening before dinner I would see many very young girls (between 10-14) getting photos taken with their families and they were wearing the tightest, shortest most skin-revealing outfits imaginable with 7-inch high heals, no less. I would never let any of my four daughters wear such skimpy clothing in public. I kept looking at the parents trying to figure out why on earth they thought that type of dress attire was appropriate for their young daughter to be wearing. I actually felt embarrassed for them since the only looks they were getting were shocked looks or lewd looks from some of the older men on the ship. My daughters have started wanting to dress up for dinners when they go on the cruises and we have looked at dresses in stores and 9 times out of 10 they will pick out an inappropriate dress and I will have be the "Bad Mom" and explain to them that the dress is too short, too tight etc. Then, I show them several options that are pretty and age-appropriate and they usually end up liking my selections once they try them on. Young girls need direction at their age when picking out outfits. If you let them just wear anything they want, it will probably end up being inappropriate.
IMHO, the issue with most of these young girls want to follow in the footsteps of their idols. At that age, guess what channel is probably the most influential to their styles? You may have guessed it, The Disney Channel. We have cut down our 9 yr old twins allowed time watching Disney Channel and have seen a drastic improvement in attitude and fewer "dramas" with relationships with friends.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #440
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyTwinDad View Post
IMHO, the issue with most of these young girls want to follow in the footsteps of their idols. At that age, guess what channel is probably the most influential to their styles? You may have guessed it, The Disney Channel. We have cut down our 9 yr old twins allowed time watching Disney Channel and have seen a drastic improvement in attitude and fewer "dramas" with relationships with friends.
And not to mention what is actually available in stores. I have boys but when I shop with friends with girls I am shocked at the skimpy stuff they are selling to preteen girls. My friends often have a very hard time finding age appropriate clothing.

Loving all these stories! Cannot wait to hear more!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #441
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyTwinDad View Post
This is why I'm happy that my daughter doesn't watch much TV. She's actually pretty modest. A true blessing.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #442
tworgs
Mouseketeer

Lets see two of the craziest things one was in the spa on the Magic years ago a Japanese gentleman comes out of the steam room in his birthday suite. The second was walking on castaway towards the tram when my DW says to me oh my ,the elderly women walking in front of us,had forgotten to put on her bathing suit bottom! I have to say we did get a good chuckle out of both
tworgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #443
becca1976
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworgs View Post
The second was walking on castaway towards the tram when my DW says to me oh my ,the elderly women walking in front of us,had forgotten to put on her bathing suit bottom! I have to say we did get a good chuckle out of both
Oh my...you kinda have to feel sorry for her!

These stories are great! though I must admit, I'm wondering about table mates. Should I request a table for two for my first cruise?? Or come home with stories to tell!
becca1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #444
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

I love people watching especially on cruises. Here are a few of my favorite spots.

Overheard on the upper deck while leaving port when dolphins started to jump and play in the water along side of the ship "I wonder how much Disney had to pay them to do that?"

Overhead in the spa "a friend told me to get a fish extender so I bought one on ebay and hung it up outside our room. I bought candy and put them in the other FE's but no one has but anything in ours!" I guess her friend forgot to mention the boards.

Overheard by the pool around 9 am. Man to woman in HIS lounger at the family pool "You are in our seats, I put towels on those chairs at 7 this morning." The woman replied, "I am sorry, there was not anything here when we arrived. The cast member probably moved the towels as there is a rule against saving chairs" Man, "but no one was here when I got up so I was not saving them I got them first" He then stormed off to have a conversation with a cast member - I did not catch that conversation but by the body language, it did not go well for the man.

Overheard in the Quiet Cove - adult only area - mom in the hot tub, dad in charge of the kids bring them into the adult area and tells them to get into the hot tub with their mother. Mom explains to dad that this is an adults only area, no kids allowed. Dad explains to mom, in a very demeaning tone, that what they mean by that is that no kids without parents allowed and since the kids are with him, it is okay. Before mom could reply, a cast member came over to explain to dad that no kids are allowed -Mom did very well at hiding her smile until dad and the kids were out of view.

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014, Magic Christmas 2014, Wonder Alaska 2015.
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #445
DisneyFanDC
Mouseketeer

Baby Ruth in the Pool

We were on the Magic out of Galveston on February 9th. On one of the port days, we stayed on the ship so that our kids could have the Mickey pool virtually to themselves (so nice!). A father gets in the pool with a little boy. Little boy suddenly starts crying, and then the two quickly get out of the pool, while the three of us were still in the pool. They quickly packed up and left the deck area. Our kids continued swimming for a few minutes until I saw IT floating in the pool where the little boy had been. He had pooped in the pool, and the dad didn't have the decency to tell us! Needless to say, he had not alerted a crewmember either. So. Gross.

DisneyFanDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #446
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFanDC View Post
We were on the Magic out of Galveston on February 9th. On one of the port days, we stayed on the ship so that our kids could have the Mickey pool virtually to themselves (so nice!). A father gets in the pool with a little boy. Little boy suddenly starts crying, and then the two quickly get out of the pool, while the three of us were still in the pool. They quickly packed up and left the deck area. Our kids continued swimming for a few minutes until I saw IT floating in the pool where the little boy had been. He had pooped in the pool, and the dad didn't have the decency to tell us! Needless to say, he had not alerted a crewmember either. So. Gross.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #447
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As my seven year old recently told me, "That is sick!! I don't mean the 'cool' sick, I mean the 'something is wrong with you' sick!"
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #448
DisneyFanDC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
As my seven year old recently told me, "That is sick!! I don't mean the 'cool' sick, I mean the 'something is wrong with you' sick!"
Ha! I love it.

DisneyFanDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #449
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wonder if that same father/son sailed again on the March 1 Galveston sailing that I was on? Nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #450
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Sorry to hear this

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
This was our first cruise, never had anything to do with Mickey Pool other than to walk by. I and the rest of the LSU group were forward trying to reduce the adult beverages on board.
We had a great time signed up Fantasy May 31, 2014.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: