Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

Question What Asthma meds do you and/or a family member take?

I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering what you or a family member does to keep asthma under control. Do you take your meds seasonly or all the time?

Over the past month and a half, I have been prescribed various meds such as Advair, Spiriva, Albuterol inhaler and a breathing treatment machine for (I think) Albuterol. Not that it makes much difference but I just turned 59 so all these meds are quite new to me.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

My ds takes QVAR which keeps his asthma controlled pretty well. He takes it year round but his doc plans on taking him off after allergy season to see if he can start using it only seasonally.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

For the last 2 months or so my asthma has been out of control.

Right now I take advair 250 2x a day, albuterol inhaler(the new ones suck), xopeonex nebulizer meds 3x a day, and I'm coming off a big steriod burst.
This past couple months has been as bad for me breathing as I can remember. Between drowning in snot and then drowning in asthma mucus it is has not been fun.

I also take singluar and a allergy pill as well as nasal spray everyday. If my allergies are not under control, I might as well forget about my asthma doing anything. Also, if you have any kind of acide reflux it can trigger breathing problems as well.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
fici
Earning My Ears

Asthma Medicine

In response to your email I am one who ignored my Asthma and then it got so that I could not anymore and ended up in the hospital for a week(10 years ago). Since that time I had been taking Adviar 100/50 and it was like I had my life again. I changed recently to Quair(I think that is the name) as it was less expensive now that I am now enrolled in an HSA medical plan but it is the same result. Take the medicine and see how it works for you. I was so silly(actually stupid would be a more accurate word but being afraid is part of it also) to not get a prescribed medication earlier.

I do wish you well and hope the medication you choose is successful for you.I suffered no reactions - you read their list and it is scary. Just covering there butt, In guess.
fici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

My son, 20 has been a diagnosed asthmatic since 2 years old. I would suggest a consult with a good Pulmonologist, and Allergist / Immunologist.

He has been on a nebulizer when things are bad. To maintain during peak times (for him) he is on Singulair, Advair and Albuterol. Occasionally he needs a predsnisone burst.

I can assure you that you want your asthma symptoms controlled as best as possible. Get a plan. Get a Peak Flow meter too - use it.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I take a variety of medications for both my allergies an asthma.

Asthma: symbicort 160/4.5 twice a day. Pulmicort 1mg nebulizers twice a day. Xoponex nebulizer 1.25 twice a day and I have xoponex for a rescue inhaler

Allergies: Zyrtec in the morning. Allegra in the afternoon. Benadryl at night. Zetonna nasal spray. Patanol eye drops.

My pulmonologist prescribed me dulera instead of the symbicort but I had an allergic reaction to it so I'm stuck on symbicort which is not working very well at all.

Even with all of this I still get short of breath and I still have abnormal PFTs and spirometrys. My asthma is not well controlled and we know that. We're just running out of options and until we get my allergies under control nothing's going to work. What I really need is xolar but my IgE is too high to qualify.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty 34 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering what you or a family member does to keep asthma under control. Do you take your meds seasonly or all the time?

Over the past month and a half, I have been prescribed various meds such as Advair, Spiriva, Albuterol inhaler and a breathing treatment machine for (I think) Albuterol. Not that it makes much difference but I just turned 59 so all these meds are quite new to me.
Until about 6 months ago I was using a Flovent inhaler 2x a day morning and night and Pro Air Inhaler (albuterol) as needed then my new Dr put me on Spiriva and Gave me a Nebulizer (albuterol) after a couple of months on the Spiriva I was able to stop the Flovent which I think is a steroid? I find I do not need to use my Pro Air as often any more since being on Spiriva and using the Nebulizer a few times a week.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
My son, 20 has been a diagnosed asthmatic since 2 years old. I would suggest a consult with a good Pulmonologist, and Allergist / Immunologist.

He has been on a nebulizer when things are bad. To maintain during peak times (for him) he is on Singulair, Advair and Albuterol. Occasionally he needs a predsnisone burst.

I can assure you that you want your asthma symptoms controlled as best as possible. Get a plan. Get a Peak Flow meter too - use it.
Both my allergist and pulmonologist (2 most recent pulm.) have said that peak flow meters are pointless. According to them they are not very useful or accurate. But of course that is just the opinion of 3 doctors...others have different opinions but I would definitely ask your particular doctor what they think about it.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

DH has severe lung/heart disease. He uses Spiriva, Advair, Singulair, Albuteral inhaler and Xopenex nebulizer, as well as high doses of Prednisone, on a daily basis. We don't go anywhere without his rescue inhaler.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
Both my allergist and pulmonologist (2 most recent pulm.) have said that peak flow meters are pointless. According to them they are not very useful or accurate. But of course that is just the opinion of 3 doctors...others have different opinions but I would definitely ask your particular doctor what they think about it.
I am sure each situation is different however - John Hopkins and Medline place a great deal of importance in Peak Flow readings. They have helped us greatly for 20 years.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...ent_92,P07755/

American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology, also supports Peak Flow readings.

http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-...low-meter.aspx

So again, For us, it has been beneficial.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am sure each situation is different however - John Hopkins and Medline place a great deal of importance in Peak Flow readings. They have helped us greatly for 20 years.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...ent_92,P07755/

American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology, also supports Peak Flow readings.

http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-...low-meter.aspx

So again, For us, it has been beneficial.
Each situation is definitely different. What's interesting is that it was a Hopkins pulmonologist that told me to stop using the peak flow meter because it was useless...at least in my case.

But my numbers would never drop enough to warrant "concern" until I was almost in respiratory failure. I could be having a full blown asthma attack with "normal" numbers. They were just very inaccurate for me. Which is why we stopped. But I also have "abnormal" asthma as my pulmonologistS have called it because it's definitely asthma but its not even close to the textbook diagnosis or symptoms.

But just like everything else, that's why you always listen to your doctors recommendation. No two people are the same when it comes to any chronic illness.

Last edited by disfan07; 03-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
Each situation is definitely different. What's funny is that it was a Hopkins pulmonologist that told me to stop using the peak flow meter because it was useless...at least in my case.

But my numbers would never drop enough to warrant "concern" until I was almost in respiratory failure. I could be having a full blown asthma attack with "normal" numbers. They were just very inaccurate for me. Which is why we stopped. But I also have "abnormal" asthma as my pulmonologistS have called it because it's definitely asthma but its not even close to the textbook diagnosis or symptoms.

But just like everything else, that's why you always listen to your doctors recommendation. No two people are the same when it comes to any chronic illness.
I don't necessarily find it funny. However I do believe your case may and does differ from others. So sorry for your circumstances.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
HonnyDipp
DIS Veteran

My DS15 has been on Xopnex nebulizer and inhaler since he was a year old. He started out on Albuterol but it just didn't work for him. He also uses Qvar and Singular once a day.

He's been hospitalized 14 times. Last stay was Oct. 2010. So hopefully he's starting to grow out it.

Aug. 2003 Off Property; Nov. 14-20, 2008-Port Orleans Riverside; Sept. 2012 Free Dining @ Art of Animation
HonnyDipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't necessarily find it funny. However I do believe your case may and does differ from others. So sorry for your circumstances.
Oops....realized afterwards should have said interesting. Funny right now means interesting to me in the medical world because my doctors have been using it to describe "interesting" findings recently (we've been living in medical he** recently) so I've been using it in that context as well....I do get a lot of weird looks about that....lol
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonnyDipp View Post
My DS15 has been on Xopnex nebulizer and inhaler since he was a year old. He started out on Albuterol but it just didn't work for him. He also uses Qvar and Singular once a day.

He's been hospitalized 14 times. Last stay was Oct. 2010. So hopefully he's starting to grow out it.
Have they tried any other long acting meds like Advair, symbicort or dulera?

Dulera is supposed to be amazing. It just didn't work for me because I had an allergic reaction to it.

I understand about the Hospitalizations....since I developed asthma about 10 years ago I've been hospitalized more than 20 times...but 2 1/2 years without a Hospitalizations is great!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: