Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Which water park for 4 and 12yr old daughters?

Our two girls are exactly 8 years apart. I am debating a water park. We tend to split up a lot to give both kids their own preferences but I would really like a water park that has a lot of family type areas so we can all stay together a lot too.

Which do you think would work? Are we crazy to try? A part of me thinks a day at the pool (Saratoga Springs) would be better for all of us.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
stacy6552
Keep to the code!

Typhoon Lagoon is the way to go. More shade. Better kids area for both kids in one place.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy6552 View Post
Typhoon Lagoon is the way to go. More shade. Better kids area for both kids in one place.
I agree. We went last year and we prefer Typhoon Lagoon esp. with little ones. My older two still love it, so it isn't like you are sacrificing fun for them. But there was a lot that my 4 year old twins could do there as well and it was easier to watch them.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy6552 View Post
I don't disagree with the shade, but the wave pool at BB is much better for a 4 year old in my opinion. That large wave at TL can be very powerful and my kids have come away with scrapes and cuts from the ground when tossed around.

The theming is better at BB in my opinion. TL is just a tropical park that mostly matches the Florida landscape. We like TL, that wave pool is what makes me think BB may be better for what it's worth.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
DISNEYWITHCHILDREN
Mouseketeer

I have to say Blizzard Beach. BB has a much better family ride that you will all be able to enjoy, plus tykes area is infinitely better.

And by family ride being better I mean it's more fun, you can take chairlift to top and you don't need to lug raft up. At TL the family ride is short, you have to carry raft up stairs, no chairlift!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

I saw that family ride at BB. Sooo much fun.

I was leaning towards TL because older DD has never snorkeled and wasn't sure if that would be fun or a waste of money. Also, since none of us have ever been there, it would be a nice surprise for all of us.

But doesn't BB have more young kid areas and one in between area? I read that somewhere. It has a zipline and such. I wasn't sure if that still was too young for DD12

Ugh, I kinda want to do both or none.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
pollypineapple8
Mouseketeer

I have never been to Blizzard Beach, only Typhoon Lagoon so I can't compare the 2. I absolutely love Typhoon its out of this world.

Disney World Orlando - Ramada March 2010
Disneyland Paris - Dream Castle July 2012
Disney World Orlando - Polynesian Resort September 2013
pollypineapple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne74 View Post

I was leaning towards TL because older DD has never snorkeled and wasn't sure if that would be fun or a waste of money. Also, since none of us have ever been there, it would be a nice surprise for all of us.

But doesn't BB have more young kid areas and one in between area? I read that somewhere. It has a zipline and such. I wasn't sure if that still was too young for DD12

The snorkeling with sharks was cool, but I'm not sure I would go to TL just for that. You start on one side of a large pool (warning: the water is coooollllld). You swim slowly across the pool and then exit on the other side. The sharks swim around the bottom and there are some other fish in there as well. You don't really get to stay in there that long, but we all enjoyed doing it.

We found BB to have more kid area's, but there is still plenty of things to do for your older daughter. Both parks are fun, but for younger kids I still think BB may be best.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne74 View Post

The snorkeling area at TL is very cool but you can't linger. It is in one side and swim across and get out. Also the water is very cold. Both of my kids hated it the first time they tried it (both around age 4).
My DH prefers TL but my kids like BB best. The family raft ride is much better at BB, it is longer and you don't have to carry your raft. There are more raft rides at BB and some of them are for two people so your DDs can go together. There are two kids areas, one for very small that only little kids can play (they don't allow over a certain height) and then an intermediate area for all kids so your DDs can play together there.
TL has more body slides and as mentioned before the big wave machine. My kids hate the waves and DD(4) has actually gotten stuck in one if the slides before. We always make sure she goes before DH now so he can sweep her out of the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

We were in the same situation. We did decide to not go to the water parks this trip But we were going to choose Typhoon Lagoon! This trip we decided to switch to a resort, that ODD helped pick, we chose AKV! She loved the pools there She is the only one out of the 5 kids that would go on the big water slides at a water park. Maybe our next trip we'll go to the water parks when all the kids will have a blast! Typhoon Lagoon is my pick

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
DJBass
Mouseketeer

We are buying water park and fun option so we will try both water parks. It's less $ to get the add on - if we don't care too much for one park we try it and leave we still come out ahead. I realize this might not be an option for folks who only have a short WDW stay and only have one non major park day.
DJBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Thanks all. I think we will do BB this time and TL next, or maybe both
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I think you're making the right choice. There are three standout attractions at Typhoon Lagoon: Shark Reef, Crushin Gusher, and the wave pool. And none of these are appropriate for a 4 year old.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: