Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Vickie, her weighted GPA, which is what the school gives to colleges is about a 3.7. She has taken many honors classes, 2 APs this year and 3 more next year. She'll probably rank in the top 10% of her class. She has community service hours and many extra-curriculars. She was never good at standardized testing. So for us it really seems to be the SAT that needs the most work and, unfortunately, that's what many of the schools we're looking at base their merit scholarships on, along with class ranking.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #47
VickiVM
Not above flirting with Tag Fairies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Vickie, her weighted GPA, which is what the school gives to colleges is about a 3.7. She has taken many honors classes, 2 APs this year and 3 more next year. She'll probably rank in the top 10% of her class. She has community service hours and many extra-curriculars. She was never good at standardized testing. So for us it really seems to be the SAT that needs the most work and, unfortunately, that's what many of the schools we're looking at base their merit scholarships on, along with class ranking.
With her other areas of performance as high as they are, she may still get scholarships
VickiVM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #48
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Oh I hope so!

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #49
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

We had *such* a great visit to Texas A&M @ Galveston on Friday... The assistant director of admissions sat down with DS & I and cleared up so much for us. The program he wants to do is absolutely going to be a good fit for him. She asked DS about his test scores and rank, and laid out our next steps for us. She also said she has a friend who works on an oil rig in the same Marine Engineering field DS wants to go into, and that she is going to put them in direct contact with each other so my son can hear first-hand what he does. Then after we got back from the walking tour, she came up to us and said she had spoken with her director, and DS has a scholarship waiting for him -- to just email her when he's admitted. She said it's not large, but every little bit counts!!

We also got to tour the new dorms, and they were SO nice. DS has even decided to give up the private balconies in the other dorms and go for a room in one of the new ones, because they are just so nice. Definitely nicer than any dorm I was ever in!

And in the now-I-feel-old category, they use something called Laundry View on campus. This is probably old-hat to you college kid vets, but I've never heard of this!! You can pull up the laundry room of choice on your computer or phone, see how many and which machines are available, and even get a text when your clothes are done! Spoiled kids... we had to sit there and wait and wait for a machine to be free, then watch the clothes go around in circles until they were done, LOL.

I can't believe he can apply in 4 months... It's going to be on us in no time!!

Hope everyone else had a productive and good weekend!

-gina-

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #50
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaroni View Post
Not sure what part of NJ you are in but my DS started out fall 2011 at college in north jersey and it didn't work out. He is now back home at CC and will be looking to transfer winter 2014. So many start out at CC these days. My girlfriends daughter was lucky enough to go using the NJ stars program but opted to gou out of state to finish her degree.
Ocean county...so we're thinking OCC, which is fine because he can live at home and work, and maybe actually do well and transfer somewhere in-state.
I do (thankfully) have a few rich relatives who helped pay for both dd's schooling (although they did not attend college) and have offered to help us pay for ds as well. Unless, by some chance, he gets money for baseball but without decent grades/SAT scores, it's doubtful.

I'm not even on the way to the poorhouse from college; it's turning 17 (car insurance), the Varsity jacket, the Jr Prom and Senior Ball, SATs, and suddenly deciding he "might want a yearbook this year." So college is DEF gonna put me over the edge!
He is looking for a job but playing 2 sports makes him unavailable for most jobs.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #51
Anne34
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutTheMouse View Post
I have a DS graduating in 2014, too. Right now, we are visiting schools. We are visiting two in Indiana next week. His interest right now is aerospace engineering, which I would say isn't a widely available engineering discipline. The only state school that offers this discipline is Univ. of IL and for what they are asking for in-state engineering tuition (and they give very little merit aid), we might be able to go to an out of state school with merit aid.

DS took his first ACT in December, but wants to raise his score by a few points. So, in addition to the costs involved in visiting far away schools, we are paying for a tutor to help him with the ACT.

Hey, at least you will all be in line with me for the poor house!
My daughter goes to Iowa state for Aerospace engineering. They are decently priced (about $29000/year) but offer good merit aid for Illinois students. There are many Chicago area kids there. She loves the school (not too big, not too small but still lots of sports and things to do) and she likes the town of Ames. Great, safe college town.

She also looked at U of I and Purdue and wasn't too impressed although she did apply at both Purdue and Minnesota. Iowa state was her first choice though.
Anne34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #52
Pixie Dust for Me!
Anyone seen tink lately, I'm running a bit low on dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne34

My daughter goes to Iowa state for Aerospace engineering. They are decently priced (about $29000/year) but offer good merit aid for Illinois students. There are many Chicago area kids there. She loves the school (not too big, not too small but still lots of sports and things to do) and she likes the town of Ames. Great, safe college town.

She also looked at U of I and Purdue and wasn't too impressed although she did apply at both Purdue and Minnesota. Iowa state was her first choice though.
MO S&T (formerly known as Univ of MO at Rolla) has an excellent Aerospace Engineering program. Rolla is a small town about an hour and a half from St. Louis.

We now get to hear "Welcome Home" since we are DVC members!!

Also see my DS at TheDuckStopsHere
Pixie Dust for Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #53
AboutTheMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne34 View Post

Well, he really liked his Purdue visit on Friday. It is now at the top of his list. He didn't visit Rose Hullman on Monday, due to the ridiculous spring snow storm that blew across central IL and IN. I'll tell him about Iowa State and have him check that one out, too. Thanks for the info!
AboutTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #54
AboutTheMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust for Me! View Post
MO S&T (formerly known as Univ of MO at Rolla) has an excellent Aerospace Engineering program. Rolla is a small town about an hour and a half from St. Louis.
MO S&T is on his list of schools to research. Thanks for the info!
AboutTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #55
VickiVM
Not above flirting with Tag Fairies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
We had *such* a great visit to Texas A&M @ Galveston on Friday... The assistant director of admissions sat down with DS & I and cleared up so much for us. The program he wants to do is absolutely going to be a good fit for him. She asked DS about his test scores and rank, and laid out our next steps for us. She also said she has a friend who works on an oil rig in the same Marine Engineering field DS wants to go into, and that she is going to put them in direct contact with each other so my son can hear first-hand what he does. Then after we got back from the walking tour, she came up to us and said she had spoken with her director, and DS has a scholarship waiting for him -- to just email her when he's admitted. She said it's not large, but every little bit counts!!

We also got to tour the new dorms, and they were SO nice. DS has even decided to give up the private balconies in the other dorms and go for a room in one of the new ones, because they are just so nice. Definitely nicer than any dorm I was ever in!

And in the now-I-feel-old category, they use something called Laundry View on campus. This is probably old-hat to you college kid vets, but I've never heard of this!! You can pull up the laundry room of choice on your computer or phone, see how many and which machines are available, and even get a text when your clothes are done! Spoiled kids... we had to sit there and wait and wait for a machine to be free, then watch the clothes go around in circles until they were done, LOL.

I can't believe he can apply in 4 months... It's going to be on us in no time!!

Hope everyone else had a productive and good weekend!

-gina-
Yay!! That's awesome news about the scholarship We go this Sat. to A&M - Corpus Christi, but it's an event for incoming or prospective new students, so I doubt we'll get the same kind of one-on-one attention you and your son got.
VickiVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #56
kacaju
DIS Veteran

I have a meeting with dd17 guidance next week. Right now the thoughts are sending her to CC for the first 2 years and see how she does. She is not a great student and the CC has a special program for those with IEP's. Her older sister is almost done with her freshman year...BOY did that go fast!! She is at Ramapo and LOVES it there.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #57
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiVM View Post
Yay!! That's awesome news about the scholarship We go this Sat. to A&M - Corpus Christi, but it's an event for incoming or prospective new students, so I doubt we'll get the same kind of one-on-one attention you and your son got.

Honestly, my best advice would be to just ask! This was simply a campus tour/General Q&A session for prospective students too. I had spoken with this lady a couple of times this past week, and asked her if there was any way DS & I could sit down with someone while the rest of the large group was in the TAMUG presentation, since we had done that already, and ask some specific questions we had. She said sure, no problem. When we checked in for the visit she was there, and remembered us by name. She took us back to her office so we three could talk.

I didn't see anyone else doing anything like that, and I kinda doubt anyone else asked. I know schools like it when students and families show interest and take the initiative, and I didn't ask for anything outrageous -- just to talk to someone in admissions for a few minutes about some different degree program questions.

Anyways, can't hurt to ask for a more private visit, even for just a few minutes of someone's time! BTW, my brother graduated from A&M - Corpus, and LOVED it. If you have any questions you'd like me to ask him, just let me know!

-gina-

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #58
kacaju
DIS Veteran

How is everyone doing? We met with Guidance and yes, we are looking into the CC route for dd17. After the meeting my dd even talked (to me) about a trade school...which I am fine with. The problem is she really has no goals in sight as to what she wants to do.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #59
Tinks
I had the hots for my accounting teacher and eventually married him!

Well count us in the group as well!

DS is a junior and we have just started the college visits. So far he seemed to really like University of Iowa, but this is another kid who has no idea what he wants to do with his life. I'm just hoping for a good college fit for him where he can figure that out!

This weekend he is visiting Mizzou, and Indiana University in early May. We're not looking for any scholarships and thankfully have never been counting on that. It should be an up and down, crazy year ahead!

Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #60
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

How have I missed this thread? My dd is a junior, and we are knee deep in college thoughts and visits. So stressful!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: