Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #76
DisneyJen0504
Married my Prince Charming. Mommy to Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
NEVER. Family vacations are for families, I don't believe in leaving one of my children out because "they will be more work then the others", that is what having children is about.
Agree! Our dd was 15 months when we went and had an amazing time.
The Carsons Head to Disney World 2012
Girls Trip: Dancing in Walt Disney World 2009
DisneyJen0504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #77
disneyworlddreaming
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimereasterweek View Post
My mom has offered to watch our 14 month old for the week when we go to Disney. We have 5 and 7 year old boys. We'll go to all the parks with a break day in the middle of the week. Our plan is to come back to the resort for naps each afternoon. What would you do?
When we took our kids for the first time, my DD was 15 months old. And she loved it! Even though she was so small she recognized everything and to this day (she's now 3 1/2)...remembers EVERYTHING!! She constantly looks at pictures and watches our videos and remembers basically the whole trip. She would nap in the stroller almost everyday and would let her out to walk when we felt comfortable doing so. My YDS will be almost 15 months when we go at the end of April and I wouldn't think of going without him!! 😃
2013- off site, youngest's 1st trip to Disney!
disneyworlddreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #78
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Ohana means family, and Family means nobody gets left behind...

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #79
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14

Quote:
My mom has offered to watch our 14 month old for the week when we go to Disney. We have 5 and 7 year old boys. We'll go to all the parks with a break day in the middle of the week. Our plan is to come back to the resort for naps each afternoon. What would you do?
I would not leave my kids at home. Wherever we go, we want them with us. We do everything as a family. We took my 4. Yo. and my 15 mo. old. last year. My 15 mo. old LOVED it!! He adored the characters and loved the rides! We took a break every day around lunch, took naps and went back after dinner. It was great.
And I have to be honest with you, my youngest was better on the ride there and back and better behaved than my 4 year old!!!!

I know not everyone feels the same, as relatives of mine leave their youngest home (of 3 kids) most times they travel. In the end, it's what works best for you and your family. Enjoy!

mrsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #80
sadossey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc
Amen!
sadossey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #81
shm_helene
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
I didn't take my parents to Hawaii on my honeymoon. I guess that means they are not family.
shm_helene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #82
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I haven't read the replies, but it is a personal choice. It does not sound like a bad idea to leave the youngest at home, so you can enjoy more activities with the 5 and 7 year old. Once the youngest is older you won't have the option to leave him/her with a relative as they will want to go with you.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #83
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
Been a while since I've posted here but this thread is making me feel bad.

We have a 5 year old daughter and 3 year old twins.

We are going to Disney at the end of April to take my 5 year old DD for the first time. She is just at the age where she is all about Disney princess and we really wanted to get her to Disney before she out grew this phase. We have decided to leave the 3 year old twins with there grandparents, mainly because the are such a handful, especially when all 3 of them are together. We feel like we need an extra person to corral them all at times when we are out doing things. The grandparents considered coming along but decided they couldn't afford it right now and offered to babysit.

Money is the other issue and another reason they are not going this time. This trip has really been kind of spur of the moment after getting our tax refund. My wife and I use to live in Orlando and had AP so we now the lay of the land. This is going to be a quick trip with 3 days in the parks (we only recently decided to go park hopper, was going to be only a MK trip). We are staying with one of my friends to save even more money.

I do feel bad that we are leaving them behind and we thought long and hard about this and in the end we decided that my 5 year old would enjoy it more and we'd get more done if the twins stayed with the grandparents. Our kids are also all on the small side (my 5 year old DD is just now 40.5" tall) so we knew there would be many things the twins wouldn't be able to do that my older DD could and, that would cause some major meltdowns (my 3 year old DD is going through a very bad major meltdown phase about everything that doesn't go her way). We are already planning a return trip to WDW in 2 years when the twins are 5. That trip, if we save up enough money, will be a whole family stay on property type of trip, hopefully. The grandparents are even planing to come on that trip.

This is a surprise trip for my 5 year old, we haven't even told her yet. We plan on telling her once we are on the highway, she is going to go nuts! She starts kindergarten in the fall so I guess this is a "we are proud of you for growing up" gift, I guess. I just hope the twins aren't to mad at us when they find out where we went.
I think you have the right plan. Make it special for your 5 year old! There will be opportunities later for the younger kids. You daughter will love the individual attention she gets on the trip.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #84
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

After reading the replies, I wanted to add, the OP is not doubting the little one would have fun. Disney is fun for all ages. The point is there are extra expenses, packing, schedule modifications, etc. to accomodate the youngest. There are parents who have never spent a night away from their kids, that is fine. I am military have have spent years away from my kids. Other families do like to break up the vacations. I know families where the mom/daughter goes someone one week and the same week the dad/son goes somewhere else. The kids like the individual treatment. My family has taken separate vacations where DH and the oldest two sons went backpacking/hiking the Appalachian trail for a week which was not something I would have down with a 4 and 5 year old. So instead my girlfriend (whose DH and son were with my DH), her daughter, me and the little ones went to the Nick Hotel. The guys encountered bears, rats, snakes, etc. Should I have forced the little ones to hike for a week for the sake of "vacationing as a family?"

Yes, siblings do have to get use to being together a lot, but that doesn't mean they can't have individual time with the parents.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #85
BSanchez27
Earning My Ears

It depends. A weekend trip to Disney to bond with an older child after a new baby is one thing. A week long trip to Disney without your baby because "it's too much hassle" is something else entirely. That's just called being a parent
BSanchez27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #86
goodeats
DIS Veteran

I might consider it. If we weren't nursing and it was only for a few days for a commando type trip it would make sense. For an "annual" family vacation then the baby would come.

goodeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #87
BSanchez27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredbycorn View Post
We are leaving my daughter with grandparents when we go in a month and a half. She will be 15.5 months at the time. Bringing her was never even under consideration. It would just be more trouble than it would be worth for us. She loves mascots and we would love to see how she would interact with the characters and I know she would like all the music and lights, but the idea of having to bring a stroller, keep her cool, keep her warm, change diapers, have snacks, have drinks, have milk, and deal with naps and meltdowns because her schedule was thrown off just sounded like a nightmare. We will happily take her when she is older.

That said, if I was already taking kids, I would be more willing to consider it, but it would depend on the baby and how much it might impact the trip for the others. For example, if it was a first trip and the other child was tall enough to get on all the rides, it would be a no. If the other child is three years old, can't ride everything, and I already have a double stroller, it would be much more likely.
In other words I know my daughter would love it BUT I can't be bothered to go through "the trouble" of taking her on what could be an amazing family trip. Bringing her was never under consideration?? Taking your own daughter to Disneyland sounds like a nightmare? How sad..
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #88
chloesmommy
Earning My Ears

We took our twins at 9 months and then again at 2 1/2 and believe it or not my son still remembers things from the second trip. We are going again in May. I would be miserable without my kids at Disney.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #89
BSanchez27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloesmommy View Post
We took our twins at 9 months and then again at 2 1/2 and believe it or not my son still remembers things from the second trip. We are going again in May. I would be miserable without my kids at Disney.
That is awesome. I wonder how long he will retain those memories? One of the things that makes me the saddest about parenting is knowing that they won't remember much of anything of their early childhood.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #90
chloesmommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSanchez27 View Post
That is awesome. I wonder how long he will retain those memories? One of the things that makes me the saddest about parenting is knowing that they won't remember much of anything of their early childhood.
Not sure.........but the reason I know he remembers is because we got "stuck" (delayed for 30 minutes) on POC on our last trip, and we have been watching you tube videos of Disney stuff. As we were watching the POC ride my son says mommy we got stuck on there and you took our picture making silly faces. I was amazed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: