Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Mynamewastaken
Mouseketeer

Scared this would happen

I booked through Orbitz for our upcoming trip and then read this review on trip advisor...

Beautiful place... Great views. But... Be aware if you don't book directly with the hotel you will not get treated as well!! We had 2 rooms and one was for 1 night, the other for 3 night. We wanted the water view for the three nights but the desk clerk called someplace and found we had booked thru Orbitz instead of thru Disney and they then wouldn't give us the water view room!! Shocking after we are already checked into it and moved in.

The hotel is beautiful ,otherwise.... And ya know, come to find out ,the water view rooms are very noisy with all the boardwalk people partying into the wee hours outside your windows:-)

Luckily, my BWI is still through Disney but my POR one is through Orbitz. Glad I stuck with Disney for the BWI. Hope I get a nice room~~

2003-POR
2011- Poly TPV
2012- POR/BWI
2015- AKLV/BWV
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

I think I would take this review with a grain of salt.

Having worked in the hotel industry for several years, no hotel would treat a guest differently because they booked with a travel agent (Orbitz, Travelocity, AAA, etc) or directly with a the hotel. I have a feeling that the reviewer had not booked a water view room through Orbitz, and thought it would be the same price as a standard view.

Most hotels will list the lowest price rooms (ie Standard View) with on-line sites to help fill up the hotel during slow periods.

Sounds like to me the front desk CM made a mistake in placing them in the wrong room, and tried to correct it after the fact.

I would not worry about this.

PS - there is no "calling someplace and finding out . . ." Where/How you booked your reservation is on the reservation screen on the computer.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

They paid for a water view room and the CM wouldn't give it to them because they booked through Orbitz?
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA View Post

Having worked in the hotel industry for several years, no hotel would treat a guest differently because they booked with a travel agent (Orbitz, Travelocity, AAA, etc) or directly with a the hotel. I have a feeling that the reviewer had not booked a water view room through Orbitz, and thought it would be the same price as a standard view.

Most hotels will list the lowest price rooms (ie Standard View) with on-line sites to help fill up the hotel during slow periods.

Sounds like to me the front desk CM made a mistake in placing them in the wrong room, and tried to correct it after the fact.

I would not worry about this.

PS - there is no "calling someplace and finding out . . ." Where/How you booked your reservation is on the reservation screen on the computer.

I agree...I have booked rooms thru Travelocity, Expedia, and Priceline before. We have never been treated any differently than when we've booked directly through Marriott, Disney, etc....You will be placed in a room that you've paid for, regardless of the means by which you booked the room.

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
smitch425
DIS Veteran

My guess is that person booked something incorrectly and tried to correct it on the spot and Disney couldn't help them. I would not worry about it at all.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken View Post
I booked through Orbitz for our upcoming trip and then read this review on trip advisor...

Beautiful place... Great views. But... Be aware if you don't book directly with the hotel you will not get treated as well!! We had 2 rooms and one was for 1 night, the other for 3 night. We wanted the water view for the three nights but the desk clerk called someplace and found we had booked thru Orbitz instead of thru Disney and they then wouldn't give us the water view room!! Shocking after we are already checked into it and moved in.

The hotel is beautiful ,otherwise.... And ya know, come to find out ,the water view rooms are very noisy with all the boardwalk people partying into the wee hours outside your windows:-)

Luckily, my BWI is still through Disney but my POR one is through Orbitz. Glad I stuck with Disney for the BWI. Hope I get a nice room~~
I rarely find tripadvisor helpful or accurate. That said, where is it noted in the "review" that the unhappy tourists paid for a water view room, but were denied it?
If they had paid for a water view, and it was unavailable, Disney would have refunded them the difference, whether they booked from a net travel site, Travel Agency, or Disney directly.

Unlike the trip advisor "expert", I have stayed at BWI more than a few times. I have nearly always had a boardwalk view. It's not noisy "into the wee hours."

BWI is a lovely resort. If you want a water view, it's a bookable category.

TY Kook!
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA View Post

PS - there is no "calling someplace and finding out . . ."
I agree .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

I'm guessing that person booked a stadard room thru Orbitz & asked for a free upgrade to water view upon arrival, which wasn't available no matter how they booked (Orbitz, TA or Disney). You can't expect to get something for nothing! I know many people who book thru 3rd party sites like Orbitz & none of them have ever been treated any differently than those that booked direct thru Disney. I think that poster just had a miscommunication & didn't understand that you have to pay for the different view categories at BWI.

Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

Lightbulb

Quote:
We had 2 rooms and one was for 1 night, the other for 3 night.
I think this was 2 separate reservations: 1 For 1 night and 1 for 3 nights.

Quote:
We wanted the water view for the three nights but the desk clerk called someplace and found we had booked thru Orbitz instead of thru Disney and they then wouldn't give us the water view room!! Shocking after we are already checked into it and moved in.
My guess is that the 1 night reservation was when they were placed in the water view and were hoping that since they were already in that room that WDW would not move them. It is more likely to be upgraded, requesedt or not, on a 1 night stay than additional days.

This is really no different than people booking direct through WDW with 2 different reservations and hoping to stay in the same room. Sometimes they will be able to stay, but there are times they are moved, especially if the longer stay was at a lower rate than the shorter stay.

I doubt that booking through Orbitz had anything to do with not being able to keep the room. Most likely, it was due to not having that room open for the entire time of the second reservation.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

I agree with the previous posters. The person probably booked a room not realizing there were different booking categories. Wanting a water view is not that same thing as booking/paying for a water view. I wouldn't worry for one second about it. Have a magical trip!

Mamasmurf227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

And another example of why Disney should NOT be a hotel management company.

I won't stand for that type of nonsense and if they actually said that to me I would ask for a manager.

Now you are not automatically entitled to an upgrade, but if a desk clerk ever said to me "well if you had not booked via a TA you would get one" the FIT would have been heard all over the hotel

If they don't want to treat me as well as the next guest they will hear about it...

That entire statement would have made me so mad that I would have pitched a fit. (I once let a manager of a Sheraton have it over a subpar room that he gave me because 'you booked on Priceline' My statement was "you sold the room, it was suppose to meet the hotel standard this one doesn't, you admit it and I want a room that meets your standard" He caved!

Regardless of what happened the fact that it seem the OP was told it was because she booked via Orbitz was just plain WRONG!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

I won't stand for that type of nonsense and if they actually said that to me I would ask for a manager.

Now you are not automatically entitled to an upgrade, but if a desk clerk ever said to me "well if you had not booked via a TA you would get one" the FIT would have been heard all over the hotel

If they don't want to treat me as well as the next guest they will hear about it...

That entire statement would have made me so mad that I would have pitched a fit. (I once let a manager of a Sheraton have it over a subpar room that he gave me because 'you booked on Priceline' My statement was "you sold the room, it was suppose to meet the hotel standard this one doesn't, you admit it and I want a room that meets your standard" He caved!

Regardless of what happened the fact that it seem the OP was told it was because she booked via Orbitz was just plain WRONG!
Sigh...The OP posted a "review" from some person (not them) that they got from Trip Advisor. I guess you can get as mad as you want, but Disney is not obligated to gift upgrade rooms just for the asking.

Water views at BWI are more expensive, period.

Just for the record, I hopped over to Trip Advisor and found the review. There is nothing in it that states the "reviewer" booked and paid for a water view.
The person has a grand total of two reviews there, one negative review for BWI, and another negative review for the Magic Kingdom.

I think this whole kerfuffle is much ado about absolutely nothing.

TY Kook!
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

The conversation between the reviewer and the CM may have included the word Orbitz, but for all we know, the CM could have said "I see you booked a standard room through Orbitz. I'm sorry, but there are no water view rooms are available." It is likely that the CM tried to change the reservation for them and could not find a room. Otherwise, who would the CM have called? This sound like a case of a guest not knowing what was feasible in terms of booking one thing and trying to get something else instead. Disney could care less who you book through. You are still booked in their hotel and spending a small fortune at their business.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Timmbco
DIS Veteran

my experience with Orbitz

I generally don't book through a third party but I did once because the price was too good to pass up. I booked through Orbitz at Wilderness Lodge and I couldn't believe it but we were upgraded to a suite!! It was only for one night but it was an awesome surprise since it included club level amenities.
Timmbco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

The review may have been correct.

I once booked a club level room through Expedia for YC. When we got to YC, they had our reservation in the system as a regular room. I had my printout from Expedia showing that it was a club level room. However, what Expedia had transmitted to Disney was a regular room.

I was getting nowhere with the front desk staff at YC. I asked for a manager. The manager told me that they couldn't do anything; I had to resolve it with Expedia.

I got on the phone with Expedia and they said they would get it fixed. The YC Manager then asked if I wanted to be moved to BC club level because they didn't have any club level rooms available. I said no, I don't like BC club level (which I don't).

Finally we were checked in to a club level room at YC. The entire process ate up 3 hours on the start of our vacation.

I don't blame WDW; Expedia made the error. Still, it was frustrating and I will not book through them again. The little bit of money I saved wasn't worth the hassle it took to get what I paid for.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: