Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #31
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

This is not theft!!!!

It is part of the contract Disney has with squirrels to provide entertainment to Guests! They are officially allowed to accept food from Guests only if the Guest is not aware they are feeding the squirrel.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #32
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
This is not theft!!!!

It is part of the contract Disney has with squirrels to provide entertainment to Guests! They are officially allowed to accept food from Guests only if the Guest is not aware they are feeding the squirrel.
The squirrels need to renegotiate that contract if it lists Wendy's fries as 'food'.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #33
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My last trip, I was waiting for Off Kilter and there was this squirrel running around the area. He started running up people's legs begging for food. Luckily for me it was December and a little cool. I had long pants on when he tried begging from me. He seemed to understand the word "NO"
Yep, I met this guy in January. I was sitting eating my fish & chips, waiting for DH to arrive with his non-fish lunch. The squirrel came running along the bench towards my meal. I wondered how close he would get- well, he would have climbed into my lap and taken the fry right out of my hand if I hadn't very firmly told him to get lost!

Another place for smart squirrel watching is in the Animation Courtyard at DHS. I've seen them take a 1/4" gap in a zipper and open the whole bag right up, taking out anything and everything edible.

The cranes are troublesome and also the ducks. At Epcot, a little girl leaned over the fence to give a duck something to eat. Well, it snapped her hand while grabbing the food. I could tell she wanted to wail but she had just been told to stay away from the ducks so she bit her lips and sucked it up. I wanted to say, "Serves you right!" but I didn't. It's really the fault of everyone who ignores the signs not to feed the wildlife. That's why they get so aggressive.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #34
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fool View Post
Never mind the squirrels! How about those birds who pilfer food from the strollers at MK? I've seen those tiny thieves rifle through popcorn, snacks, etc. While folks are on rides. I'll bet they have no idea their food has been tampered with. --worse yet, I've had a hotdog stolen out of the bun just as I was about to eat it -- by a seagull!!!
Not at Disney, but we had a seagull fly down and steal my DS pizza when he got up to get a napkin. The funniest part was watching him swallow the whole slice of pizza whole. The thing was like a tiny trash compactor.

Last edited by mm1971; 03-28-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: sp
mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #35
texican
Earning My Ears

Now that's funny!!
texican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #36
johde
DIS Veteran

I was at Blizzard Beach on a quiet day in January (It was right after New Years so BB was the only quite park that trip). There were bird there that stayed just a table away and were looking like they were just waiting for me to turn my back to pounce on my food.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 OKW/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #37
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fool
Never mind the squirrels! How about those birds who pilfer food from the strollers at MK? I've seen those tiny thieves rifle through popcorn, snacks, etc. While folks are on rides. I'll bet they have no idea their food has been tampered with. --worse yet, I've had a hotdog stolen out of the bun just as I was about to eat it -- by a seagull!!!
That reminds me of the time my dh and I were in EPCOT. This was back in 2008 but we had just gotten some ice cream, Mickey ice cream to be exact, and this seagull swooped down and stole it right out of my hand!!!! It was one of those moments where you're thinking "did that really just happen???" It's hilarious now when I think about it.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000,stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time,ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013.Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. Western Caribbean Cruise planned for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #38
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinPooh View Post
Sitting outside at cosmis rays one afternoon the lady sitting at the table beside us sat her chcikn salad down and went to grab something. In a second a seagull hopped over and snagged a piece of chickn and flew off.
So i guess they are cannabals lol!!
Birds are. I have a macaw parrot, who loves chicken anyway it's cooked.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #39
Maleficent Dragon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fool View Post

We have totally witnessed this. In January 2011, we saw one of those birds steal a guys fish as he was walking away from Yorkshire. My husband and I died laughing, but felt so bad for him. The CM gave him a new order.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #40
dadddio
DIS Veteran

I realize that I am being pedantic, but a bird that eats other kinds of birds is not cannibalistic any more than we are when we eat a hamburger.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #41
Ds4angels
Mouseketeer

That's funny about the squirrels, what smart little critters!!
When I bought my funnel cake at Epcot the lady warned me not to eat it out in the open as the seagulls will swoop down and steal it right off the plate Lucky for us there was a table w/ an umbrella close by
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
sarahlovesmickey
I could probably make Shake N Bake from all the crumbs I have in my keyboard
My DH thinks I'm "Doing the Naughty" on the Budget Board

this thread has me cracking up!!!! Squirrels and birds can be so naughty!!! LOL Now I'm going to be paranoid when we have our stroller down there.

~~Sarah~Proud ARMY wife and mother of 5 (soon to be 6!) Disney lovers!!!!~~
-DH -me -Bailey(11) -Madelyn(9) -Logan(6) Carter (4) Isabella (2) - Emily
MARCH 1st-7th--DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-2nd HONEYMOON!

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
sarahlovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #43
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieluvzmickey View Post
My friends were at AK and saw a squirrel run into a store and steal a snickers bar and run back out and up a tree with it.
This made me laugh out loud! I wonder if they prefer snickers or if that was the easiest to grab and go?

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #44
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I realize that I am being pedantic, but a bird that eats other kinds of birds is not cannibalistic any more than we are when we eat a hamburger.
That was one of the issues we had with that group of people at AK. And thank goodness I had it quotes.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #45
BuzzNwoodY0824
Mouseketeer

Those squirrels in Epcot are funny animals. One played dead for me when I was down in January. I was playing with him and petting him. And mind you I had no food to give him or anything. They are awfully cleaver animals in that park lol
BuzzNwoodY0824 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: