Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #976
Moonwolf
Mouseketeer

My friend and I are big Harry Potter fans but not that into coasters.

At first we were just going to skip over the Dragon Challenge ride but then I heard that there was some things to see in the line itself. Now I'm wondering if there is enough interesting things there that it would be worth it to take a walk though the line if the wait is short enough?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #977
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwolf View Post

At first we were just going to skip over the Dragon Challenge ride but then I heard that there was some things to see in the line itself. Now I'm wondering if there is enough interesting things there that it would be worth it to take a walk though the line if the wait is short enough?
In my experience, all the interesting HP stuff in the queue is well before the point where the lines back up. I think the themed stuff is pretty much over once you get into the cave-tunnel-like portions. That is a looong queue.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #978
nemofans
DIS Veteran

So I read that the possible date of completion for the new HP stuff in USO may be summer 2014. We are planning to go Oct 2014, so do you think it will be crazy busy like when WWOHP 1st opened or not as much?

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 77 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #979
dfriia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwolf View Post

I went through all the queues without riding any ride in WWoHP. They were all worthwhile for the queues alone to me.

At the top of the hill going into the Dragon Challenge entrance building, you can see the Weasley's enchanted flying car crashed in the Forbidden Forest as well as the back side of Hagrid's Hut. You can hear Hagrid warning students off from the Forest as well as Fang barking.

Once inside the Champion's Tent, you can circle the Goblet of Fire (on fire!), be greeted as a champion, and see the cots, brooms, and refreshments for the champions who are waiting for their turn at the Dragon Challenge. Then, inside the castle area to see the TriWizards Championship Cup, and the floating candles of the Great Hall.

Pasted below is a link to my blog entry for the ride with photos.

http://roadtripswithbob.blogspot.com...ad-part-2.html
dfriia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #980
Moonwolf
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
In my experience, all the interesting HP stuff in the queue is well before the point where the lines back up. I think the themed stuff is pretty much over once you get into the cave-tunnel-like portions. That is a looong queue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriia View Post
I went through all the queues without riding any ride in WWoHP. They were all worthwhile for the queues alone to me.

At the top of the hill going into the Dragon Challenge entrance building, you can see the Weasley's enchanted flying car crashed in the Forbidden Forest as well as the back side of Hagrid's Hut. You can hear Hagrid warning students off from the Forest as well as Fang barking.

Once inside the Champion's Tent, you can circle the Goblet of Fire (on fire!), be greeted as a champion, and see the cots, brooms, and refreshments for the champions who are waiting for their turn at the Dragon Challenge. Then, inside the castle area to see the TriWizards Championship Cup, and the floating candles of the Great Hall.

Pasted below is a link to my blog entry for the ride with photos.

http://roadtripswithbob.blogspot.com...ad-part-2.html
Thanks both of you. It definitely looks like enough to make it worth checking out.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #981
AnnaTink
Mouseketeer

Hi There,

We are going to be in Orlando 15th -19th April (Mon-Fri) and I was wondering if there would be a best day to go to IOA?

We have done WWOHP before and we are going back to mainly soak up the atmosphere and grab a Butterbeer, if the queue wasn't too bad we may do Forbidden Journey, but wouldn't be doing Ollivanders!

Any advice gratefully received

Only happy when I'm planning!
AnnaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #982
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
So I read that the possible date of completion for the new HP stuff in USO may be summer 2014. We are planning to go Oct 2014, so do you think it will be crazy busy like when WWOHP 1st opened or not as much?
I think it's fair to assume its going to be CRAZY BUSY when HP phase 2 opens. IMO theyre being over optimistic with the 'summer 14' launch date so if you're going in October you may be timing it right.

Whatever happens you'll have a blast!
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #983
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Touching on the subject of the HP Expansion...

What do you think Universal is going to do with HP now being in both IoA AND Universal? Will it be required to have a park-to-park pass to use the train (since you're technically going from one park to the next?)

Otherwise, I'm excited as all heck for the expansion. Making a huge plan to go with (hopefully) some girlfriends to the park and really live it up. :D

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #984
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceandAriel View Post

What do you think Universal is going to do with HP now being in both IoA AND Universal? Will it be required to have a park-to-park pass to use the train (since you're technically going from one park to the next?)

Otherwise, I'm excited as all heck for the expansion. Making a huge plan to go with (hopefully) some girlfriends to the park and really live it up. :D
Yes you will need part to park tickets to visit both lands... They will have a ticket window similar to a real train station for guests to upgrade
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #985
CuriousRapunzel
Earning My Ears

Does the Wizarding World open at 9AM like the the rest of the park? Should we head there first in the morning?
CuriousRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #986
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousRapunzel View Post
Does the Wizarding World open at 9AM like the the rest of the park? Should we head there first in the morning?
It opens an hour earlier than park open for resort guests, and at park open for all others. Early in the morning or late in the day are typically the least crowded times at any theme park.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #987
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

hey mesaboy, good to see you back posting on the darkside.

got a trip planned soon?

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #988
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
hey mesaboy, good to see you back posting on the darkside.

got a trip planned soon?
Thanks, mac! I'd come over here more often but I worry that my info would be out-of-date and steer somebody wrong. So I mostly lurk. Will definitely be back, but nothing in the immediate future. Patiently waiting for that badly-kept secret in the Studios to finish up and open next summer I guess.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #989
LittlePoca
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceandAriel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
Yes you will need part to park tickets to visit both lands... They will have a ticket window similar to a real train station for guests to upgrade
I'm a little confused Does this mean that the new HP attractions are being built in the main US park, rather than IOA? Or will you only need to buy tickets to both parks if you want to see the train station at the other end?

Last edited by LittlePoca; 05-04-2013 at 04:45 PM.
LittlePoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #990
nemofans
DIS Veteran

The new HP stuff being built will be in Univ Studios park, not IOA, w/Hogwarts Express running between the 2. If you want to see both areas, then you will need tix for both parks. If you want to ride the train between the 2 areas, then you will need park to park tix.

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 77 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: