DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Callalily6
DIS Veteran
 
Callalily6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 663

Question Buying from DVC vs Resale

I seriously feel like an idoit with this stuff. Every time I think that I have it figured out, I realize there's more stuff that I don't know.

I saw a thread the other day about points purchased via resale cannot be used on Disney Cruise and at certain resorts. Can someone clarify? Exactly what are the differences b/t buying directly from Disney or resale?
__________________
2005, Wilderness Lodge- 2005, Boardwalk Villas- 2006, Boardwalk Villas- 2006, Pop Century
2008, SSR- Christmas 2008- 2009 Pop&BCV- 2010 BCV 2011 SSR Fall2012



Callalily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,430

resales YES:

DVC resorts
RCI trades
Club Intrawest trades
Club Cordial trades

resales NO:

disney cruises trades
disney hotel trades (poly, POFQ, etc.)
adv by disney trades
concierge collection trades

or in official language:

Quote:
Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI® exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

The affected collections are special Member benefits programs offered by Disney Vacation Development, Inc., and are not part of Members' Ownership Interests. That said, Members who purchased on the secondary market prior to March 21, 2011, may use those Vacation Points for all Member Getaways.

Note that the policy doesn't impact banking, borrowing or transferring Vacation Points. All Members will continue to have the ability make such transactions, regardless of where they purchased their Ownership Interests. Complete rules about these transactions are available in the Home Resort Rules and Regulations section of this website.
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 2,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
resales NO:

disney cruises trades
disney hotel trades (poly, POFQ, etc.)
adv by disney trades
concierge collection trades
All of these options require large amounts of points, especially if you are going as a family. NOT good use of DVC points.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Disneylvr4
Mouseketeer
 
Disneylvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
All of these options require large amounts of points, especially if you are going as a family. NOT good use of DVC points.

I agree with this 100%.

I have read on here many times over DVC pts are wasted going on a cruise and generally speaking buying a cruise from a travel agent has been afordable to us in the past vs buying a Disney vacation package on land. We bought resale over a year ago now and have never been disappointed with what the limits are.
Disneylvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
ParkHoppers
Mouseketeer
 
ParkHoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 131

Lets say resale owners in the future were not allowed to get the Disney Dining Plan. Would Disney have to grandfather people in before the change date?
__________________
ParkHoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
dbs1228
DIS Veteran
 
dbs1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 2,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkHoppers View Post
Lets say resale owners in the future were not allowed to get the Disney Dining Plan. Would Disney have to grandfather people in before the change date?
They do not have to grandfather anything in. It would not be in Disney's best interest to not allow ANYONE staying on property the dinning plan. It is a money maker and keeps guest on property vs. going off property to eat!
__________________
1995 - 2010 Ft Wilderness Cabins every year! OKW, BLT 2010 & 2011 AKV 2011 THV 2012




dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
ParkHoppers
Mouseketeer
 
ParkHoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 131

I thought until recently DVC owners were not allowed to get the dining plan? If true that didn,t make sense but was done. If the new restrictions Disney put on resales shows them just as many people are going resale over direct what kind of new restrictions will they try to make buying direct look more appealing?
__________________
ParkHoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
hjgaus
DIS Veteran
 
hjgaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
All of these options require large amounts of points, especially if you are going as a family. NOT good use of DVC points.
We purchased BCV resale PRIOR to March 2011 & purchased VGC direct from Disney in 2009 PLUS live in Southern California with AP's the last 2 years. To be able to get last minute reservations with DLR hotels when the VGC are full has been terrific for us!! This also includes last minute Villa reservations @ 7 OR LESS months out! Which is why I tell other locals who may think of buying into DVC for mostly VGC & DLR/parks to BUY Direct if they can afford it! Staying on property & getting Early Entry especially to DCA/ Carsland has been awesome! As locals we don't need to worry about flying expenses or getting reservations way out! I know many will disagree with the use of the points but it definitely has worked for us! I don't know how long the "grandfather clause will last but we shall enjoy it while we can! We ALL have different ways to use our points that ONLY each of us can understand so do whatever works for YOU!!!
hjgaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
dbs1228
DIS Veteran
 
dbs1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 2,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkHoppers View Post
I thought until recently DVC owners were not allowed to get the dining plan? If true that didn,t make sense but was done. If the new restrictions Disney put on resales shows them just as many people are going resale over direct what kind of new restrictions will they try to make buying direct look more appealing?
Anyone can BUY the dinning plan - you will never get it "free" when they are offering promotions I have a feeling you are confusing the 2 issues. I never get the dinning plan since I have a full kitchen and prefer to eat in at least 2 meals a day so I am not sure about years ago. I know as of the last 3 -4 years you can purchase the dinning plan.
__________________
1995 - 2010 Ft Wilderness Cabins every year! OKW, BLT 2010 & 2011 AKV 2011 THV 2012





Last edited by dbs1228; 03-27-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: edit
dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
ParkHoppers
Mouseketeer
 
ParkHoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
Anyone can BUY the dinning plan - you will never get it "free" when they are offering promotions I have a feeling you are confusing the 2 issues. I never get the dinning plan since I have a full kitchen and prefer to eat in at least 2 meals a day so I am not sure about years ago. I know as of the last 3 -4 years you can purchase the dinning plan.
Not confused on this. I understand DVC can get the dining plans minus any promotions. I just wasn't sure how recently DVC could NOT get the DDP. Turns out before 2006 DVC members could not get the DDP. The way you answered my original question saying it made no sense for Disney not to offer the DDP to anyone staying on property (almost like I was crazy for even suggesting it)tells me you were unaware that before 2006 it was not available to DVC members. So what I was getting at was if Disney has played with the DDP option before with DVC members I wonder if they would do it again in regards to resale vs direct. The reason I brought up grandfather clause was because they just used it with the most current restrictions on resales.I shouldn,t have said would Disney have to grandfather new restrictions. I should have said do you think they will grandfather any new restrictions.But I guess only Disney would know that.Hope this clears up my comments.
__________________

Last edited by ParkHoppers; 03-28-2013 at 12:03 AM.
ParkHoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
dbs1228
DIS Veteran
 
dbs1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 2,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkHoppers View Post
Not confused on this. I understand DVC can get the dining plans minus any promotions. I just wasn't sure how recently DVC could NOT get the DDP. Turns out before 2006 DVC members could not get the DDP. The way you answered my original question saying it made no sense for Disney not to offer the DDP to anyone staying on property (almost like I was crazy for even suggesting it)tells me you were unaware that before 2006 it was not available to DVC members. So what I was getting at was if Disney has played with the DDP option before with DVC members I wonder if they would do it again in regards to resale vs direct. The reason I brought up grandfather clause was because they just used it with the most current restrictions on resales.I shouldn,t have said would Disney have to grandfather new restrictions. I should have said do you think they will grandfather any new restrictions.But I guess only Disney would know that.Hope this clears up my comments.
Sorry I did not mean to come off as you were crazy after I posted I vaguely remembered that I might have read something about it not being available to members that is why I said over the past few years in my second post. Disney can do whatever they want that is the bottom line. IMO the dinning plan is a money maker for Disney and keeps guests on property longer so in my mind I am not sure why they would not offer it at all times - but then again there are somethings that Disney does that does not make sense.

Many who are looking to buy into DVC think that they can get current promotions when staying on points - again I did not mean it the way it came out!
__________________
1995 - 2010 Ft Wilderness Cabins every year! OKW, BLT 2010 & 2011 AKV 2011 THV 2012




dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Lynne M
 
Lynne M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,154
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkHoppers View Post
Not confused on this. I understand DVC can get the dining plans minus any promotions. I just wasn't sure how recently DVC could NOT get the DDP. Turns out before 2006 DVC members could not get the DDP. The way you answered my original question saying it made no sense for Disney not to offer the DDP to anyone staying on property (almost like I was crazy for even suggesting it)tells me you were unaware that before 2006 it was not available to DVC members. So what I was getting at was if Disney has played with the DDP option before with DVC members I wonder if they would do it again in regards to resale vs direct. The reason I brought up grandfather clause was because they just used it with the most current restrictions on resales.I shouldn,t have said would Disney have to grandfather new restrictions. I should have said do you think they will grandfather any new restrictions.But I guess only Disney would know that.Hope this clears up my comments.
The DDP was introduced in 2005, and first offered to DVC members in 2006. It's been available for all members ever since then. So they haven't played with it, in the sense that I think you mean. At first it was only offered with package reservations for CRO customers, then it was opened up to DVC members, then to AP holders.

As far as grandfathering any new restrictions, you're right, only Disney knows. They'll choose to do whatever works to DVD's benefit, as should be expected. But it's important to remember that what you're buying is the right to stay at DVC resorts, subject to availability. EVERYTHING else is subject to change, whether you buy direct or resale. Don't look at buying direct as protection against restrictions. It's not. They could announce tomorrow morning that the DDP is no longer available with DVC bookings. They could announce that DCL will no longer accept points reservations.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.